Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified: Snap, Crackle, and Pop Exhaust Tuning (Video)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Published on Apr 14, 2016 - Stratified

Focus, Fiesta, Mustang Ecoboost Exhaust Crackles and Pops. How they are made and what the implications are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxizdBNb1i0

[video=youtube;lxizdBNb1i0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxizdBNb1i0[/video]

[HR][/HR]
Published on Apr 9, 2016 - Stratified

Focus ST, Fiesta ST tune that crackles and pops for an "enthusiastic" exhaust note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe3eInZBss

[video=youtube;EFe3eInZBss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe3eInZBss[/video]

twolf

I find it interesting how Pumaspeed starts offering this as an option, then weeks later Stratified steals it :p

Cool idea, can anyone with more knowledge clarify this:

Are they making it dump MORE fuel on decel than during stock-warm up, or just enabling the stock-warm up strategy to run when the car is already warm? I watched the video.. or maybe it was another one, but wasn't clear.

Tune+ offered this a while back and this really started as a Mustang "ghost cam" a few years ago.

If anything, Puma speed copied Tune+ but really the idea is nothing new.

twolf

Tune+ offered this a while back and this really started as a Mustang "ghost cam" a few years ago.

If anything, Puma speed copied Tune+ but really the idea is nothing new.
It's not the same as the ghost cam, is it? Thought that was only at idle.

Same idea, make a tune that changes the sound.

If you think that decel noise is new, look at the Abarth 500 or just about any turbocharged race car.

Any way, I think Tune+ had the first Fiesta ST tunes for exhaust sound but it wasn't a new concept when he did it.

I think he quit doing it because it was a PIA to get it right.

If Puma speed and Stratified want to offer it, that is fine but there is no theft involved.

twolf

Same idea, make a tune that changes the sound.

If you think that decel noise is new, look at the Abarth 500 or just about any turbocharged race car.

Any way, I think Tune+ had the first Fiesta ST tunes for exhaust sound but it wasn't a new concept when he did it.

I think he quit doing it because it was a PIA to get it right.

If Puma speed and Stratified want to offer it, that is fine but there is no theft involved.
He quit because he sold his car, he said.

Ghost cam and "snap crackle and pop" are quite different in what they involve. "Ghost" cams often trigger misfire codes at idle in modern cars and we don't offer them to the general public unless someone specifically asks.

snap crackle and pop is stealing from Ford :). Because Ford uses this strategy. I encourage you to view the first video, I describe the technical aspects of it.

Tune+ told me he will not tune the car for the crackle and gurgles and pops. He told me it is bad for the car. My DHM Tune does this like mad on my E40 tune and it is amazing. I had to switch to my 93 tune, and there is almost none, it is terrible. I got right back to me E40 from DHM and man the crackles and pops are amazing. Just makes the car that much funner.

twolf

Ghost cam and "snap crackle and pop" are quite different in what they involve. "Ghost" cams often trigger misfire codes at idle in modern cars and we don't offer them to the general public unless someone specifically asks.

snap crackle and pop is stealing from Ford :). Because Ford uses this strategy. I encourage you to view the first video, I describe the technical aspects of it.
Yeah I watched the video. Like I said in my post. I just thought since puma was the first tuner who I saw release this, that perhaps you guys got the impetus from them. :)

Yeah I watched the video. Like I said in my post. I just thought since puma was the first tuner who I saw release this, that perhaps you guys got the impetus from them. :)
Despite what some people would have you believe, it is rare for tuners to "steal" from one another because they would be caught very quickly; let alone Stratified doing it.

My Tune+ 93 tune sounds just like the second video but is more pronounced. Along with the typical between shift farts and feather throttle pops, my fave is on a perfect rev-matched downshift..I get at least one nice backfire. Sounds glorious

^Same here. Funny how people will knock Adam's tuning style without knowing what his tunes are already like. I get plenty of pops and burbles, and once in awhile a huge backfire on a downshift (which is just awesome). Anyways, thanks to Stratified for posting this video....we should keep the thread on topic and not start a flame war.

twolf

Despite what some people would have you believe, it is rare for tuners to "steal" from one another because they would be caught very quickly; let alone Stratified doing it.
I'm not saying they stole the methodology. I'm saying that "PERHAPS" they saw another company offering these crackle maps and then said "Hey, we should do that"

I have no doubt that each company I've seen doing it is knowledgeable enough to figure it out on their own, I'm simply saying that since they all started doing it around the same time... they probably got the idea from each other... you guys need to relax. :p

^Same here. Funny how people will knock Adam's tuning style without knowing what his tunes are already like. I get plenty of pops and burbles, and once in awhile a huge backfire on a downshift (which is just awesome). Anyways, thanks to Stratified for posting this video....we should keep the thread on topic and not start a flame war.
If you mean me, I have Adams E40 tune, and it hardly pops and cracks at all. I have the email from him stating he will not force the car to do this, because it is bad for the direct injection Motor. That is why he never tuned my E40 tune like that. I am by no means knocking Adams tune. It is fantastic, smooth, and powerful as hell. I love it. I was only saying that he would not tune it to do this.

Again, I also have Russells tune, and it cracks and pops and gurgles exactly like an SRT 4. It is insane how much I get especially on downshifts.

[MENTION=4300]Alex@Stratified[/MENTION] Is this included in your tunes or does it need to be requested? ( didn't see an option on the site)

Does anyone have experience running this tune on stock dp and exhaust, or with just a resonator delete?

I saw this on Friday when I was filling out my Google docs form for my E30 flash tune but didn't see it when I actually purchased it, I would have probably totally added this had I seen it.

The "pop" option can be added. I got a 91 flash tune without the pop option. Option was $15 extra.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I did a Deadhook stage 2+ dyno tune over the weekend and he added the burble pop with my Cobb cbe...very pleased:)

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #20
Stratified Ecoboost Crackles and Pops - V2

Published on Jul 27, 2016

Crackles and Pops V2 for the Ecoboost from Stratified. Punchier yet short and sweet. Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Mustang Ecoboost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQl0AN1piE&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;gYQl0AN1piE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQl0AN1piE&feature=youtu.be[/video]