Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stressed. Need insight.

Good evening everyone. I’m currently stressed to the max over my 2017 Fist. Odometer currently reads 47 K miles. Upon purchase of this vehicle I received all prior service records and took it for a lengthy test drive. Everything checked out great. I did lots of thorough research on all years of North American Fists. To say the least I was a very confident buyer. Over the past couple months my car has seemed to acquire several different “issues”. I first threw a code for evap purge valve and bought a brand new evap harness from whoosh. So far it seemed to have remedied the issue. Following that I realized the incredible need for a rear torque mount replacement. Purchased whoosh rear torque mount (street spec) and installed it and found no actual improvement which I myself find it incredible to believe. I know whoosh makes amazing products and I’m not putting any blame on them or their parts. Keep in mind I baby my Fist like a sophisticated grandma that happens to know how to drive a 6 speed manual properly. Well, lastly and most stressful of all. There’s a pretty terrible grinding sound coming from the trans, sounds like a throw out bearing giving out. Where it gets to me bad is every time im shifting 1st-3rd driving it as smooth as humanly possible, the car not only feels like the engine wants to fall out but the grinding noise intensifies by a whole lot and simultaneously grinds louder when the engine is jarring back and forth. Previous owner had issues with trans at 11k miles. They found the 3rd gear syncro was damaged and could not get the parts to repair it for 2 months so Ford opted to put a brand new transmission in the car. So I currently clock 36k on this tranny. Please help.

Attachments

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Possible the transmission mount has given up the ghost. I would check both it and the passenger side engine mounts. They are pretty easy to get to.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #3
thanks kivnul. What could be causing the rough grinding noise to intensify after I fully release the clutch? It sounds awful.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Why are you shifting from 1st to 3rd. Try shifting through all the gears 1 then 2 then 3 and see if it still occurs. I think you're shifting into 3rd at too low of an rpm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #5
Why are you shifting from 1st to 3rd. Try shifting through all the gears 1 then 2 then 3 and see if it still occurs. I think you're shifting into 3rd at too low of an rpm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I’m not shifting from first to third. When shifting from first thru third (1-3) is when the issue occurs.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
First I will say I have the same rear motor mount it's a great product.
The person that previously had this car damage their transmission fairly soon, and they had it replaced sounds like they damaged it again. You just didn't realize it at the time because it wasn't showing symptoms yet.
Ford under-filled these transmissions from the factory they need about 2 liters of fluid not the 1.67 that comes in them. This normally damages the input shaft bearing not what you are describing sounds like a transmission rebuild is in your future. The powertrain warranty is 5 years and 60,000 miles. This does not cover the clutch assembly but it covers the transmission.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
thanks kivnul. What could be causing the rough grinding noise to intensify after I fully release the clutch? It sounds awful.
As others have stated it is most likely something internal that is busted. Checking the mounts is a quick 1st step. If the power plant is sliding around I could see it making noise. As you are still under warranty, having them check it out is a good step to take.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I am guessing that, as others pointed out, you may have something wrong with the transmission mounts. One of the passenger side mount’s bolts is known to crack (verify; whoosh sells an upgraded version). Given that the tranny is relatively young, the sounds may be coming from the clutch or the flywheel.

Bearing sounds typically manifest when the transmission is under a load (does the sound go away when you push the clutch pedal in or when you let off the gas in gear?). So, it could be that you have a few things going on at the same time.

Ford’s drivetrain warranty is 60,000 miles - so, you can have the dealer sort this out.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............ The person that previously had this car damage their transmission fairly soon, and they had it replaced sounds like they damaged it again. You just didn't realize it at the time because it wasn't showing symptoms yet. .. .......... ................ .... .. ................ ............. ......
Very logical. Especially given that synchronizer failures, especially repeated, are uncommon. This is even with Ford under-filling the transmissions by nearly 20% at the factory.

=========================================

I'm not sure what a "rear torque mount" is. But based on others' responses, I'm guessing that you're referring to the rear engine mount.

For my prior vehicle, there was sort of a metal scaffolding with some rubber bushings, that kept the transmission and shifter in synchronization. This made sure that the relative distance between the transmission and shifter on the console, remained consistent. The engine/transmission could move around all it wanted; it wouldn't matter. The entire shifter assembly would simply move with it. The bushings were there merely to dampen normal vibrations from the engine.

The point, a bad engine mount, would not affect the shifting with that car. (unless the shifter-mount bushings themselves were bad) I would expect that all manual mechanical shift cars would have a similar or identical setup.

Moving between gears, there should be little or no pause/resistance to shifter movement. If there is, it may be necessary to periodically do this, the help insure that the clutch is fully disengaged between gears....
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...les-with-6-speed-manual-transmission-b6.1989/

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #11
First I will say I have the same rear motor mount it's a great product.
The person that previously had this car damage their transmission fairly soon, and they had it replaced sounds like they damaged it again. You just didn't realize it at the time because it wasn't showing symptoms yet.
Ford under-filled these transmissions from the factory they need about 2 liters of fluid not the 1.67 that comes in them. This normally damages the input shaft bearing not what you are describing sounds like a transmission rebuild is in your future. The powertrain warranty is 5 years and 60,000 miles. This does not cover the clutch assembly but it covers the transmission.

Thanks for the info man. I recently ordered 2 L of ravenol. I plan on draining the factory fill and putting it in when I receive it from Fedex this week. If that doesn’t help any would next best step be to take it to Ford? I know warranty work can be a huge pain.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #12
As others have stated it is most likely something internal that is busted. Checking the mounts is a quick 1st step. If the power plant is sliding around I could see it making noise. As you are still under warranty, having them check it out is a good step to take.
Thanks I appreciate it. I’m checking mounts this week when I drain the trans fluid and put in some ravenol.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #13
I am guessing that, as others pointed out, you may have something wrong with the transmission mounts. One of the passenger side mount’s bolts is known to crack (verify; whoosh sells an upgraded version). Given that the tranny is relatively young, the sounds may be coming from the clutch or the flywheel.

Bearing sounds typically manifest when the transmission is under a load (does the sound go away when you push the clutch pedal in or when you let off the gas in gear?). So, it could be that you have a few things going on at the same time.

Ford’s drivetrain warranty is 60,000 miles - so, you can have the dealer sort this out.
The sound goes away when clutch pedal is pushed in. I’m changing fluid this week and will inspect the mounts. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the info man. I recently ordered 2 L of ravenol. I plan on draining the factory fill and putting it in when I receive it from Fedex this week. If that doesn’t help any would next best step be to take it to Ford? I know warranty work can be a huge pain.
I would probably take it to them before I changed the fluid - asap.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #15
I would probably take it to them before I changed the fluid - asap.
Awesome. I was wondering if anyone would suggest that. I’ll take it to them and see what’s going on and save the fluid. Would suck to put 40$ of fluid in just to have it drained back out.

I'd like to hear the outcome on this as well. And also, +1 on not changing the fluid before taking it in. If there are any shavings in the fluid, they should see that

Is there a TSB or some other documentation/statement from Ford or Getrag that this is actually true? I'm genuinely interested, not trying to be an ass. This is a bit of a bold claim to rely on hearsay for.