Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stripped valve cover bolts and maybe too much sealant

So I had a coolant leak comming from my fiesta and after alot of troubleshooting I decided it was probably the water pump, I decided to take out the engine even thought it was unnecessary to see if i could find anything else which was a crack in my trans but thats another thing. After replacing the waterpump and taking off the timing belt, starter ect... I got to the reseating my valve cover. It had been a long day and I made some bad decisions ngl, I dont have wifi at the barn I work in so I can't look things up on the fly which would have been very helpful. I decided to use the old rubber gasket and when I put it on I used sealant I put about 1/6in diameter sealant around where the gasket would go I know some people just dont put any on at all which I didn't know that at the time, have I put too much?
I Also stripped one of the valve cover bolts when i put it on I think I'm going to try to do a helicoil i just need the thread specs i couldnt find any.

Thanks, also my spacebar is broken sorry.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Is yours a '14 or a '15 which is covered by the recall? The recall covers coolant leaks which can happen from a problem with the head. The fix is somewhat of a Band-Aid, it just adds a new sensor and a few other things, but if it covers your car it might not be a bad idea to have that done also.
On another note, welcome from another North Carolina owner.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Just match the bolt to the Heli coil, no sealant needed with rubber gasket, just a dab wear the timing cover meets the head. Did this with the 4.6 all the time and had no leaks. I forget the tq spec, also I only use 1/4 drive ratchet on cam cover bolts.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Rubber gaskets I'll usually put on dry. If they are dried out, I'll lubricate them with silicon lubricant to bring them back to life. If they are just too far gone but I'm in a pinch and need the car to run, I use copper gasket spray. That shit works miracles. As for the bolts, unfortunately ford doesn't label their bolts which is retarded so unless I pulled mine out, I couldn't tell you. My advice unless someone actually know is go to harbor freight and buy yourself a metric thread pitch gauge measure it yourself. The diameter is probably an m8-m12 which are fairly common. Any possibility you could save the threads with a bottoming tap? I'd try that first with some lube.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
I apreciate you guys' very much I ran her today for about 20mins and didnt put her over 4k, turned her off waited about 30mins. I came back out and saw two very small drops of oil on the floor looked like they came from in between the trans and the engine I assume its from the valve cover but havn't done a proper inspection, otherwise I'm tickled to death I put that engine back togather right and shes running as far as I can tell with no problems and the coolant leak is gone. I'm gonna start pulling her back apart as soon as its not 90 outside and humid as can be, I'm gonna take the cover off get the metric thread pitch and a bottoming tap and see if i can save those threads and clean up the sealant and such, thank you guys for your knowledge and time I'm pretty much the only owner of one of these things in a 50 mile radius where I'm at so you guys have been a big help.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I apreciate you guys' very much I ran her today for about 20mins and didnt put her over 4k, turned her off waited about 30mins. I came back out and saw two very small drops of oil on the floor looked like they came from in between the trans and the engine I assume its from the valve cover but havn't done a proper inspection, otherwise I'm tickled to death I put that engine back togather right and shes running as far as I can tell with no problems and the coolant leak is gone. I'm gonna start pulling her back apart as soon as its not 90 outside and humid as can be, I'm gonna take the cover off get the metric thread pitch and a bottoming tap and see if i can save those threads and clean up the sealant and such, thank you guys for your knowledge and time I'm pretty much the only owner of one of these things in a 50 mile radius where I'm at so you guys have been a big help.
Just keep this in mind when your tapping, don't force it if you break a tap it's a nightmare to get out. You can use any lube including motor oil so use whatever you have and put the tap in by turning it 1/2 turn in then 1/4 then back until you get to the end. Tapping is an art and once you get good at it you'll be able to tap just about anything. It just takes patience.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Turns out I actually broke the valve cover bolt in the header, gonna have to get an easy out but i think thats better than having to tap it thank you guys.