Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strong grinding noise during turn in's and acceleration. Help! 2013 ST/75.000km

Hi,

I own a 2013 Fiesta ST MK7 with 75.000 KM / 46.000 Miles on the road. During these last 6 months I've been getting steadily increasing grinding noises from my front end. The grinding used to only occur during high speed bumpy left turns. As time went the noise started to appear during slower speeds. Today I can barely drive in the speed limit and I will get this terrible noise during left hand turns or when going down bumpy Norwegian roads. I can't even use boost in a straight line when in 6th gear without this noise.

At first I thought it was the transmissions as it only happened when doing high gear high load left turns. Recently this has started to happen regardless of gear selection. If I accelerate even somewhat hard while making a left turn, I will get this noise as long as I'm driving over 60 KMh or 40 MPh. It is even more evident when going down hill. Or over bumpy tarmac roads.

I've tried to make a recording of the noise so you guys could check it out.
Link: https://clyp.it/gh3heiy0?token=3404a4f7cc4e9e22dada216f13b4d1dd

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting this.
Hiring a mechanic by the hour for troubleshooting is very expensive where I live. Any clues that could help me narrow this down would be greatly appreciated.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Sounds like it could be wheel bearing. First thing I would do is jack up that corner of the car and see if you can wobble the wheel/tire. Once the tire is off the ground, just grab it on either side and see if there is any play. It should be tight and solid. If there is any play, your wheel bearing is loose and needs to be replaced.

It could also be a CV joint so while you're under there, do a visual inspection and make sure the boots aren't torn. If they're torn, there's a good chance the CV axle is bad. It could still be bad with a good boot though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Also check for missing fasteners that might allow loose plastic panels to resonate in the wind. My tiny laptop speakers don't do bass very well...

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
Update: Finally got the car back from the paint shop after fixing a dent. Installed powerflex rear spring isolators, upper passenger side motor mount insert, retorqued rear motor mount and traction bar bolts. Now the issue seems to have disappeared. This was probably caused by a bolt on the traction bar that was slightly below torque spec, causing vibrations under heavy load.

Thanks for the input folks, checked for bad wheel bearings, CV joint/driveshaft slack and other loose parts while I was at it, and everything seemed fine.