Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stumbled and Died on Startup, smokey (white)

I went to leave for work this morning and started my FiST (2019 just under 2.8kmi) and it was idling really rough/stumbling, then died. I started it up again and it seemed fine, but I noticed the exhaust was a bit white and smokey. Looked a bit like when you startup in the winter except it was 75 this morning. Drove to work and everything seemed fine, no lights, was a bit smokey the whole time. I'm due to take it in for an oil change as is so I was going to bring it up to the dealer, but wondered if the symptoms rang any bells for you guys.

No mods that would matter, first owner, half a tank of 92/93

What you are describing sounds like a blown head gasket.
I can't imagine that your almost brand new Fist has a blown head gasket.
but just for shits and giggles I would check the oil and radiator fluid for contamination.
A small amount of white smoke after start up is normal but not the whole time.
Let us know what it turns out to be.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The rough idle isn't a good sign. Take it in.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #4
The rough idle isn't a good sign. Take it in.
Yeah, I just got an appointment scheduled for today after work. Let's hope it's an easy fix...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #5
Update: Took it to the dealer, apparently "the techs that would look at that kinda thing are gone already, but we can do the oil change". Whatever, it started fine after work, for them, and after the oil change. And I hope to god no tech in his right mind would see coolant during and oil change and not have it raise any red flags.

Actual appointment scheduled for Tuesday next week and I've had my phone read to video everytime I turn the key... Er... Push the button.

Still no lights, or feelings of low power so that's good.ill keep updating, partially for me and partially in case anyone else ever runs into this issue

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #6
WELP. Dropped it off this morning and got the call.

Coolant in cylinder 1, coming through the cylinder wall.

New long block it is...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well at least they are giving you a brand-new complete engine. I wonder if someone messed up during assembly.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jeeze.. glad they are taking care of you. Tell them to give you a refund for the oil change too lol

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #9
Well at least they are giving you a brand-new complete engine. I wonder if someone messed up during assembly.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
It sounds more like a casting defect to me, but they don't know I do engines at work and a hobby so they explained it in very very simple terms haha.

I don't suppose they'll give me the old block...[emoji848]

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #11
Negatory Rampart but wishful thinking [emoji189]
I can dream. Wishful thinking is what keeps me sane while driving an F150 instead of the ST. It's only been a day an I already miss it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It sounds more like a casting defect to me, but they don't know I do engines at work and a hobby so they explained it in very very simple terms haha.

I don't suppose they'll give me the old block...[emoji848]

Playing dumb can really pay off when people might try to screw you. I just smile, nod, ask dumb-guy questions and ask them to put things in writing, then if anything goes sideways come in guns blazin'

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I can dream. Wishful thinking is what keeps me sane while driving an F150 instead of the ST. It's only been a day an I already miss it.

Is it an ecoboost? The last f150 I owned was an older lightning - I've heard the new ecoboost pickups pull like a freight train.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #14
Playing dumb can really pay off when people might try to screw you. I just smile, nod, ask dumb-guy questions and ask them to put things in writing, then if anything goes sideways come in guns blazin'
So far they've been pretty good. I'm just hoping things don't get messy between now and when I get it back.

The ecoboost is pretty awesome in these. This one has the 5.0L V8 according to the window sticker. So it has balls, but it's still a truck so really all I get is worse gas mileage :(