Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sub $1,500 coilers + brakes for 15" wheels?

I am considering dropping the car with coilovers and running 15" wheels. Most of the coilovers I find are advertised to make the ride of the car more comfortable while dropping it. I grew up with run-flat tires and don't find the stock suspension harsh, so I am guessing there will be coilovers that will be able to increase performance more than the competition that tames the ride a little bit but at the expense of making the ride quality worse? If so, where should I look?

I am also wondering about what the brake options are under 15" wheels. I know the stock brakes will fit, meaning I am all set for street driving, but am concerned about track use. I am hoping to use the car for track or autocross in the future. What are my options besides the VMAXX Autosport 290mm Big Brake Kit? Would these brakes be daily-able? I don't see anything written about them for if they are usable on the streets / extremely expensive to maintain.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you want 'daily-able' fixed caliper brakes which do not require semi-frequent rebuilds, look for setups which RETAIN the outer piston seals, even though those could possibly melt during hard open track use, depending on; how hard you brake on corner entry, cooling ducts/hoses or not, pad choice, stickiness of the tire used, etc. [wink]

Ron (whoosh motorsports) specifically offers his smaller rotor brake kit to fit under almost all of the 15" wheels out there. [thumb]

ronmcdon

you have to ask yourself what you mean by track use. Ive done a track event with back to back 20 min runs and found that I did well without a bbk.

I upgraded pads to ebc orange f / yellow r, endless fluid (suspect the more affordable motul 600 will be fine), ss lines, boomba brake deflectors. Think the setup around $750-800 give or take but if you omit the ss lines and go for cheaper motul fluid maybe 500-600 possible.

if you want comfortable, Im guessing the meister r cbd oil (or whatever the acronym is) coilovers are 5k/3k for $1k. I have their gt1 and its very liveable for a daily coilover and got it black friday sale for 1,600 vs 2k price.

but yeah cbd oil coilovers, motul 600 fluid, upgraded pads, maybe boomba delfectors would set you back close to 1,500 to 1,600.

personally not a huge fan of bbk value wise. you would have to sacrifice some turn in with either low offset wheels and spacers. would rather have better turn in and spend less on brakes unless you want bbk for looks

Dpro

6000 Post Club
you have to ask yourself what you mean by track use. Ive done a track event with back to back 20 min runs and found that I did well without a bbk.

I upgraded pads to ebc orange f / yellow r, endless fluid (suspect the more affordable motul 600 will be fine), ss lines, boomba brake deflectors. Think the setup around $750-800 give or take but if you omit the ss lines and go for cheaper motul fluid maybe 500-600 possible.

if you want comfortable, Im guessing the meister r cbd oil (or whatever the acronym is) coilovers are 5k/3k for $1k. I have their gt1 and its very liveable for a daily coilover and got it black friday sale for 1,600 vs 2k price.

but yeah cbd oil coilovers, motul 600 fluid, upgraded pads, maybe boomba delfectors would set you back close to 1,500 to 1,600.

personally not a huge fan of bbk value wise. you would have to sacrifice some turn in with either low offset wheels and spacers. would rather have better turn in and spend less on brakes unless you want bbk for looks
This.... To the OP you don’t need BBK unless you are pushing lots of HP. I am running an upgraded Turbo and about to put in EBC black rotors and Yellows all the way around. Got everything for around $425 SS lines will be another $84 so ya with brake fluid like ronmcD said just over $500.
Could I maybe use the bigger Calipers sure I am pushing 284hp. I would need at least a 3mm spacer which could be pulled off.
Though you do not need that.

The brakes you will need will be dependent on a number of factors: what track you are running, how late do you brake, what brake pads are you running, what tires are you running, ....?

As Msport pointed out. Having calipers with a seal is nice on the street, but if you are going to do a bunch of track days and depending on the track and how hard/late you brake you can melt the seals. Running the Stoptech ST40 set up on my FiST, on the street the dust boots are great, but after 3 track days they are gone. Our solution is to replace the seals once a year. We are running titanium backing plates, plus a brake duct, on a PFC 11 compound pad.

ronmcdon

This.... To the OP you don’t need BBK unless you are pushing lots of HP. I am running an upgraded Turbo and about to put in EBC black rotors and Yellows all the way around. Got everything for around $425 SS lines will be another $84 so ya with brake fluid like ronmcD said just over $500.
Could I maybe use the bigger Calipers sure I am pushing 284hp. I would need at least a 3mm spacer which could be pulled off.
Though you do not need that.
would you really even need a bbk even then with 280-300whp?

stock brake calipers are working pretty well I think in terms of overall braking by itself.

I’m thinking wider rubber may help with braking distances and more grip. Personally id go with that before even messing with a bbk.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
would you really even need a bbk even then with 280-300whp?

stock brake calipers are working pretty well I think in terms of overall braking by itself.

I’m thinking wider rubber may help with braking distances and more grip. Personally id go with that before even messing with a bbk.
I know D-Resonant added the Whoosh to his setup recently after running different Rotors and EBC Yellows and Oranges .
He reported he actually saved weight by doing it lol. He is big into weight loss. I also know several track guys running bigger brakes with around this amount of HP . I personally will just be seeing how rotors and pads work before making any other decisions . Pretty much to say for me the jury is out right now.

ronmcdon

yeah hope you make it out to a track event and give feedback. events at least with speedventures are pretty safe. sad not a lot of people with your brake and power setup( it seems