Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suggestions on Potential Purchase

981gt4

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a high mile 2016 ST in California, over 80K miles, to be used primarily as a track car. I took it for a test drive and nothing seemed untoward, however, I'm hoping to quiz their service manager on the inspection and reconditioning that was performed to make sure I'm not buying into a problem car. According to CarFax, the first owner kept it for years and the second owner for only a few months. Based on a google search of the VIN it looks like it came through an auction.

The common questions I would usually ask are:
1. Did they check with a paint meter and inspect for evidence of structural repairs
2. Did the check the oil for any sign of metal shavings and/or does the computer tell them about money shifts (overRevs)
3. Did they check for any leaks in particular with axle seals/cv joints/differential,
4. Any modifications such as the car being lowered
5. Any signs of flood damage

Is there anything else specific you guys would ask?

Also, I don't have a garage where I can wrench so I was hoping to find someone in the greater SF Bay Area, California, who works on STs and would be able to help track prep with high temp brake fluid, better pads, track inspection and so on. Any leads are super appreciated, especially if they do PPIs :)

Thanks in advance!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a high mile 2016 ST in California, over 80K miles, to be used primarily as a track car. I took it for a test drive and nothing seemed untoward, however, I'm hoping to quiz their service manager on the inspection and reconditioning that was performed to make sure I'm not buying into a problem car. According to CarFax, the first owner kept it for years and the second owner for only a few months. Based on a google search of the VIN it looks like it came through an auction.

1. Did they check with a paint meter and inspect for evidence of structural repairs
2. Did the check the oil for any sign of metal shavings and/or does the computer tell them about money shifts (overRevs)
3. Did they check for any leaks in particular with axle seals/cv joints/differential,

Also, I don't have a garage where I can wrench so I was hoping to find someone in the greater SF Bay Area, California, who works on STs and would be able to help track prep with high temp brake fluid, better pads, track inspection and so on. Any leads are super appreciated, especially if they do PPIs :)

Thanks in advance!
Find out if they really did "recondition" with OEM parts if they did anything or if they used Valucrap bottom of barrel parts *

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the machine.

Not to be a skeptic; but hey, that's how I'm wired....
Check with a paint meter?! Really? I'm curious what dealer does that for any CPO cars. I never thought about it.
I doubt they check the oil for shavings. I doubt they even change the oil if it looks good enough, especially if they sell AS IS.
They darn well should check for leak and such. Do they claim a 110 point inspection?
I'm going to assume they don't care if it was lowered and if it was, they sure aren't going to tell you as might not buy it if they say yes.
There is some disclosure law on flood-damaged cars, idk any details.

Ask all you want, but what will they actually disclose... to summarize....it is on YOU, the buyer, to inspect that car up and down, inside out, as best you can, or a bring a buddy, or take to mechanic, but it's gonna cost you.

Look at the strut tower mounting nuts and look for new or worn nuts where the socket or wrench grips it. Look at the strut tower from underneath, top and bottom and look for evidence of replacement. That doesn't mean it was lowered, it could have new OEM on it, but who knows... Look at the RMM, rear motor mount for evidence of replacement. Look, look, look every where the standard performance parts are mounted............ but most of all, look on this forum for the previous owner's posts, if they were on here and if can identify who that might be. Then again, it's a track car, so why do you care if it was lowered? You're going to lower it. What changes with the answer? (Genuinely curious).

Good luck with whatever you do.

OP

981gt4

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the input so far guys! Just a few responses to the questions thus far:

"Used is used, 80k on the clock, it's not going to be perfect."
Agreed: not expecting nor looking for a 'cream puff' - just trying to get an idea of how much money beyond the purchase price I'm going to have to sink into the car. If there are known problems that can be money pits, for example. Looking around on this forum I hear of people with problem-free cars well over 100K which is encouraging.

"Check with a paint meter?! Really? I'm curious what dealer does that for any CPO cars."
This is admittedly in an entirely different price bracket, but Porsche will do this for CPO and disclose what panels are painted if you ask. Really, I'm not looking for perfect paint, just evidence that the car wasn't crashed into a track wall and cheaply repaired; although at that other price bracket it's probably more of a problem because it could be financially more rewarding for shady actors than at this price point.

"Do they claim a 110 point inspection?"
Nope they claim due to mileage it is not CPO by Ford. Of course their inspection might have turned up other issues. The sales manager agreed to ask the service manager for a detailed report on what was inspected, so I'm hoping to check whatever was inspected against known issues - like the axle seals/cv joints.

"Look at the strut tower mounting nuts and look for new or worn nuts where the socket or wrench grips it. Look at the strut tower from underneath, top and bottom and look for evidence of replacement ... Look at the RMM, rear motor mount for evidence of replacement."
That's some great advice. As someone who used to have the car in my user name I'm pretty used to inspecting strut towers :D

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome , first yes like what was already said no dealership even Ford with their CPO’s checks paint with a paint meter. In fact this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone mentioning something like that. Oh and I have owned and bought and sold cars for well over 30 years.
CPO would probably do and oil change and the mechanic doing it would do a cursory check at most .
Same with looking for leaks and seals and whatnot. Look it over and note , fix it if its bad and move along.
Mods dealers do not care about mods on used cars its a buy it as it sell it as is situation unless CPO which even then thats only certifying mechanical condition and such.

I have seen CPO cars that were beat up but the mileage was low so it qualified to be CPO’d and the dealer decided they could make more money doing that.

In fact CPO cars are generally marked up several thousand dollars more than non CPO. You are basically paying for a factory or dealer extended warranty. Now whether that is worth it or brings peace of mind is on you the customer.

It’s merely a profit mechanism for the dealer. 80k is slightly high mileage for a 5 year old car. Not horrible not bad.
If you can’t inspect it yourself outlined by what was already cited above you might ask to take to your own mechanic to do an inspection for you.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks for the input so far guys! Just a few responses to the questions thus far:

"Used is used, 80k on the clock, it's not going to be perfect."
Agreed: not expecting nor looking for a 'cream puff' - just trying to get an idea of how much money beyond the purchase price I'm going to have to sink into the car. If there are known problems that can be money pits, for example. Looking around on this forum I hear of people with problem-free cars well over 100K which is encouraging.

"Check with a paint meter?! Really? I'm curious what dealer does that for any CPO cars."
This is admittedly in an entirely different price bracket, but Porsche will do this for CPO and disclose what panels are painted if you ask. Really, I'm not looking for perfect paint, just evidence that the car wasn't crashed into a track wall and cheaply repaired; although at that other price bracket it's probably more of a problem because it could be financially more rewarding for shady actors than at this price point.

"Do they claim a 110 point inspection?"
Nope they claim due to mileage it is not CPO by Ford. Of course their inspection might have turned up other issues. The sales manager agreed to ask the service manager for a detailed report on what was inspected, so I'm hoping to check whatever was inspected against known issues - like the axle seals/cv joints.

"Look at the strut tower mounting nuts and look for new or worn nuts where the socket or wrench grips it. Look at the strut tower from underneath, top and bottom and look for evidence of replacement ... Look at the RMM, rear motor mount for evidence of replacement."
That's some great advice. As someone who used to have the car in my user name I'm pretty used to inspecting strut towers :D
The Fiesta is a pretty stout car, it is easily modded up and stock parts are easy to find. If your going to track it it is going to take a couple of grand just in racing parts, tires and safety equipment.