Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Summer Tires - help me decide?

Hi All,

I'm running 16x7 wheels (Sparco Assetto Garas) and on the hunt for a set of summers that meet or exceed the grip/handles this car came with out of the box.

Assuming I'll buy from Tirerack, current options appear to be:

205/45 R1R
215/45 RT615K+, RT660, GForce Rival 1.5

Should I consider other sizes? If so, what do you recommend.

Other considerations: IDGAF about cost, but I plan to run from 4/1 to first frost (usually Halloween) in central Ohio. Read: plenty of rain and sadly potholes (yay road hazard guarantee šŸ¤£). I'll struggle to clock 5k in that time (2k will be fun... if I'm lucky). Won't have access to a garage/storage so frequent swaps aren't an option.

Thanks in advance!

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #3
615k+ in my opinion. I loved them and will be going for another set next most likely.
Isn't the RT660 the next generation? A little softer, but given the (non directional) tread pattern, rotation should be a wash on lifespan (theoretically), right?

Last edited:

Erick_V

+1 for RT660, easily my favorite tire Iā€™ve ran on the FiST. Also ran the 615k (not +) and they were good too.

Mikey456

I like my Dunlop Direzza Z3. They might not be the fastest but they stick good enough for me and I have had the rt615+ before.

CSM

1000 Post Club
660 is fantastic tire. I run that on my FRS in my spec autocross class, usually go through two sets a season. They do wear quite fast compared to other 200TW tires, but they have fantastic grip / predictability for the price.

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #12
660 is fantastic tire. I run that on my FRS in my spec autocross class, usually go through two sets a season. They do wear quite fast compared to other 200TW tires, but they have fantastic grip / predictability for the price.
Two sets per season? šŸ˜± How many events do you make it to?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Two sets per season? šŸ˜± How many events do you make it to?
Last season I did 37 total events, including nationals in Lincoln Nebraska. I drove the car to every event too, even on the RT660s I raced with. Also I had a co-driver for the majority of events.

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #14
Last season I did 37 total events, including nationals in Lincoln Nebraska. I drove the car to every event too, even on the RT660s I raced with. Also I had a co-driver for the majority of events.
That sounds like a blast! I'll be lucky to see two autox this year... and a few spirited country drives. Read: mostly hooning to and from work.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Also I forgot to mention - the new extreme contact force that is out from Conti is supposed to be very good and lasts a while. I might try that on my Fiesta whenever it needs new tires.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Another would be the Nankang NS2R in 215/45R16. Not as soft as the RT660 but it will last a good while longer. Still 200tw.
These will also be much better than most of the (more??) autocross oriented 200 tread wear, semi-slick gummies in any rain, or deep standing water, if you get any in your locale (as a mostly street driven tire for summer use). [thumb]

They also happen to be THE widest tread width tire in that 215/45-16 size as well, and they are what I would run (and may yet if I keep my second set of Dekas) in that size for a summer street tire.

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #18
These will also be much better than most of the (more??) autocross oriented 200 tread wear, semi-slick gummies in any rain, or deep standing water, if you get any in your locale (as a mostly street driven tire for summer use). [thumb]

They also happen to be THE widest tread width tire in that 215/45-16 size as well, and they are what I would run (and may yet if I keep my second set of Dekas) in that size for a summer street tire.
Any idea on a reputable source?

Also I forgot to mention - the new extreme contact force that is out from Conti is supposed to be very good and lasts a while. I might try that on my Fiesta whenever it needs new tires.
Iā€™ve been looking at these for my next summer set of tires. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t look like they come in a size that fits with 17ā€ rims. 225/40/17 is the ā€œsmallestā€ Iā€™ve found and that seems to be just a little too large from what Iā€™ve read.