Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Supplemental fuel systems, LETS GO !!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Well, when the first aux fuel system came out a few weeks/months ago, it was debated a small bit. In light of that, I'd like to share what I've found and maybe re-kindle some talk about these systems...

Options..

$880 aux kit from DHM using a single injector for throttle body type injection.
The meth setup I'm going to use ( hold on, I'll feed you baby birds ).
And the setup someone else is working on currently to use 4 MPFI injectors with a rail and maybe a "split second" controller.

Each setup has some advantages and disadvantages and honestly, I think its going to just come right down to what your needs and goals are...

Stratified/DHM throttle body injection Aux system. Biggest thing I can think of, right off the top of my head, and maybe the most important at this time is.... It works. No doubt about it, it works, its been proven. Its priced fairly. Its not cheap, but I feel like its priced fairly IMO. Disadvantages ? Well... Russ himself brought this to my attention a good while ago, the stock intake manifold and the intake ports are not meant to flow any liquid. Its not that it can't, its just it was meant for air and air only from the ground up. Throttle body injection isn't going to fuel each cylinder 100% equally. How much is it off? Hard to say ( at least for me ). I know in my experience with meth injection, cylinder to cylinder fueling IS NOT perfect. Another disadvantage is that its stealing fuel from your oem fuel system. My viper guys always pointed this out to me when using WET nitrous kits on my SRT4. Viper guys can run 400shots of nitrous on stock engines. But what does that mean for a 550whp car looking to add 350whp of nitrous with only 1 fuel pump? It means upgrading the entire fuel system or running an extra fuel cell with race gas for the second stage of nitrous. Their solution worked amazing. Propane. They would use a small propane bottle to supplement the nitrous kit and the stock fuel system just kept up with the 550whp of the engine. Magic, a 1000whp fuel system on nitrous using a stock fuel pump, lines, injectors,regulator, and tank. Anyway, their point was valid taxing my in-tank pump to feed my nitrous kit was not helping it keep up with 24.5psi. Same goes for us. The aux steals fuel from our DFI to feed the throttle body injection. Russ proved it made 420whp, so it may not be a bad deal, but... It is a disadvantage no less. Another issue is... Not everyone lives next to a E85 station and it can be hard to come by, essp when your getting 21mpg on E85, your using a lot of volume/liquid.

Big Meth setup. I based my setup off of what MikeST used. An intake manifold spacer, 4 meth injectors (devils own), 4 way distribution block (devils own), solenoid, filter (AEM), AEM 0-35psi internal map controller V2, AEM pump V2, aquamist tank fitting/pre-filter, aquamist 5th injector in the cold pipe for charge cooling with 100% meth.
Advantages: $782 is about $100 cheaper vs DHM aux kit. Does not tax the stock fuel system. Perfectly hits each cylinder almost right at the valve with the same amount of fuel on every cylinder. Also may get some response/torque gains from the intake spacer its self, but I've personally never bought into that part. I also believe that meth is a better fuel than E85 or any mix of it. This kit used with pump gas will have no effect at all that using ethanol mixes MAY have on the HPFP that has been seen and documented in mazda speeds. No way any other option can match meth's in cylinder cooling effect that will drop the bottom out or EGT's. I feel that 100% meth in a system like this one could ultimately be pushed further than E85 in the gas tank. If you simply can not get E85 in or around your area and your stuck with piss-91oct, I think THIS IS YOUR OPTION. MikeST said it feed his PTE6262 (700hp turbo) at 30psi with a AFR of 11.0-11.1 through the entire RPM band. So its capable of some real fueling.

Disadvantages ?: well... Honestly, its not that much cheaper than a developed kit that is already in our hands. Your gonna have to order parts from a couple different places and wait 6-12 different shipping times. It still requires you to hunt down special fuel. Although, 5-gal on meth, special mail ordered, isn't too expensive, and if you cut it with distilled water, you make it last even longer. You can also turn it off when your just chilling on a eco-tune. Of course meth kits require some maintenance. And the big fear factor of running out of meth is always present or a failure at speed. Honestly, the new controllers, and the newer pumps are pretty good. While it can happen, I think the fears drive a market of fail safes, but that is IMO and you can easily get into the $1300 range with this if you wanna go over the top. Its also a more involved install than the aux kit. It has more plumbing/failure points as well.

The 3rd system is yet to be released, but we've pics of prototype testing. MPFI injectors with a fuel rail plumbed off the stock fuel line and controlled by a split second controller. This setup will be capable of adding INCREDIBLE amounts off fuel ( should ever need it ), while it should also be able to have a controlled and nice spray pattern at low duty cycles when its only helping a very small amount. Perfect cylinder to cylinder and great injection location. It is also likely to atomize the fuel the best of all 3 options. No doubt about it, you could run E98 on about any setup/turbo the fiesta could spool, lol.

Disadvantages?: I can't imagine anyway the total cost of this kit comes in under $880. Its not developed. It may or may not even become available. The controller maybe better or not as good at the one DHM/Straified uses. It still steals fuel from the oem fuel system. Will it ever be proven to make 420whp or more? How reliable are the injectors etc that are being used and expected to work with E98 and down? A lot of questions...

Ok guys. Gloves off, lol. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, things I forgot or didn't think of, or didn't know?, corrections ? Its all open. No feelings to be hurt or egos to be stroked, but try to be respectful. What are your thoughts ???

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Until we get a HPFP, and costs come WAY down on replacing injectors, we're going to be stuck with making sacrifices. I think the most important thing is that those looking to go one of these routes ponder what it means to them. How much work they want to do, money of out the pocket, etc.

In the end, without HFPF and larger injectors, it's all just a bandaid. Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob, Dora, plain...take your pick.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Until we get a HPFP, and costs come WAY down on replacing injectors, we're going to be stuck with making sacrifices. I think the most important thing is that those looking to go one of these routes ponder what it means to them. How much work they want to do, money of out the pocket, etc.

In the end, without HFPF and larger injectors, it's all just a bandaid. Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob, Dora, plain...take your pick.
Totally agree, I'd prefer an aftermarket HPFP and larger injectors solution. But if I were to choose right now, I'd go with DHM/Stratified.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Or! Pony up $1200 for a fully protected AEM meth kit. Which still requires a watchful eye and maintenance.

Or! Build the engine for nitrous...which just goes back to the money.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I have to admit, the meth kit will actually boost power, even if you don't need a system because your out running your stock fuel system dry... Kinda means everyone could use a meth kit.
Just not a $800 meth kit, lol. Only so many people actually need a aux fuel system.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I'm about to blow your mind.... One of the most technically advanced engines built today, just just a huge upgrade !!!

Bow your heads and bare witness to the....
CYBORG SUPPLEMENTAL FUEL SYSTEM !!!

It can support an additional 300hp at the crank bearing or 305ci's.

This is a break through for our DFI double-vtak turbocharged 1.6L so don't miss out !!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Wow, such an incredible flowing work of art:)

---------------------------------------------------------

I have had a good meth kit, tried fuel additives, blended fuel E30 and other methods as well as a 5th injector setup and prefer the simple setup the best, 5th injector and pump gas.

A port injection setup would likely be better but until there is a viable one I will run the 5th injector and hope to see a HPFP and bigger injectors solution become available before long.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Pretty serious project:)

I would like to see this done for pump gas, that would get me very interested as I mentioned I do not like messing around with making my own fuel blends or finding Meth, carrying it around, etc......

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
The biggest question for me is.... Why not run a normal fiesta rail and injectors. They are like $90.. Aside from that... It is just a prototype.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
One thing with the custom setup over factory parts is it helps the fugly engine bay look better which it can sure use all the help it can get:)

I do like your idea SS as well, fits my DIY low bucks way I modded cars most of my life.