Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Supporting Mods for Turbo Upgrade

I've read/watched quite a few forums/vlogs on upgrade paths for my Fiesta. I've pretty much got the car as far as it'll go with stock turbo performance wise. This is what is done:

Accessport, LMM, Panel Filter, Whoosh V3 FMIC, and Tune+ Unlimited Tune.

I'm wanting to start supporting Mods for future turbo upgrade. This is my daily and I want it as such. I don't want a ton of cabin noise and likely won't be taking the car much further than ~300 whp to keep it as a street car.

What I've read is you need a CAI, Catback, and doing the DP at the time of the turbo swap. I'd like to purchase a CAI, but I want to be 100% sure it'll handle the turbo upgrade in the future. Here are the parts I looking at:

COBB CAI, Velossa RAM Air, COBB Catback, Whoosh catted DP, and Whoosh Hybrid Turbo. The reason I'm using COBB parts is that I get a discount as well as them being quieter for daily driving.

Is anyone running this setup (or similar) and happy with it? I suppose my biggest question is about the COBB intake. I see a lot of people are using it. I know the 2J is a true CAI, but I really don't want the noise.

Mikey456

Have you checked out the ST200 intake? If you want to make it more interesting you can run a hose opening through where the fog light is. I have not heard many guys making a big deal out of which cold air intake they are using. Even with upgraded turbos. Just you a hi flow panel filter with some sort of ducting from the outside. In my opinion.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I have the Cobb CAI and it's fine, nothing special. It came on the car when I bought it but I don't plan to upgrade.

xxiaze

With that sort of power objective you can pretty much Willy nilly pick whatever you want based on price points and brand preference. You don’t really need much to make that power tbh. You’d probably be fine with an e30 tune, drop in filter, a velosa mouth, decent 2.5” exhaust, RMM, 1 step colder plugs, a well made Intercooler and a hybrid turbo of choice. Also, depending on your climate you might want to consider a nice radiator if you’re in a hot(er) zone. Could probably even get away without a DP... but might as well switch it up while you’re in there just to freshen up. 300whp is a very obtainable and reasonably priced objective on these cars.

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've read/watched quite a few forums/vlogs on upgrade paths for my Fiesta. I've pretty much got the car as far as it'll go with stock turbo performance wise. This is what is done:

Accessport, LMM, Panel Filter, Whoosh V3 FMIC, and Tune+ Unlimited Tune.

I'm wanting to start supporting Mods for future turbo upgrade. This is my daily and I want it as such. I don't want a ton of cabin noise and likely won't be taking the car much further than ~300 whp to keep it as a street car.

What I've read is you need a CAI, Catback, and doing the DP at the time of the turbo swap. I'd like to purchase a CAI, but I want to be 100% sure it'll handle the turbo upgrade in the future. Here are the parts I looking at:

COBB CAI, Velossa RAM Air, COBB Catback, Whoosh catted DP, and Whoosh Hybrid Turbo. The reason I'm using COBB parts is that I get a discount as well as them being quieter for daily driving.

Is anyone running this setup (or similar) and happy with it? I suppose my biggest question is about the COBB intake. I see a lot of people are using it. I know the 2J is a true CAI, but I really don't want the noise.
You do not need an intake or any exhaust modifications to run an upgraded turbo at your desired power level. If you want to keep things civil, I would recommend a catted downpipe mated to the stock catback exhaust.

OP
2Noob4U
Thread Starter #6
Have you checked out the ST200 intake? If you want to make it more interesting you can run a hose opening through where the fog light is. I have not heard many guys making a big deal out of which cold air intake they are using. Even with upgraded turbos. Just you a hi flow panel filter with some sort of ducting from the outside. In my opinion.
I'm trying to stay away from mods that require changing up the factory look of the car. I'm more of a sleeper look. No stickers. No wings and such. Just looks stock aside from rims.

OP
2Noob4U
Thread Starter #7
You do not need an intake or any exhaust modifications to run an upgraded turbo at your desired power level. If you want to keep things civil, I would recommend a catted downpipe mated to the stock catback exhaust.
Definitely a catted DP. I hate smelling exhaust unless it's a racecar. Do you know anything about the sound/drone running a COBB catback? I HATE the coffee can ricer sound (My opinion). I heard they are quite nice and get throaty when you open it up.

I'd like to go with the Whoosh turbo. Is there really any difference turbo wise at this WHP goal?

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Definitely a catted DP. I hate smelling exhaust unless it's a racecar. Do you know anything about the sound/drone running a COBB catback? I HATE the coffee can ricer sound (My opinion). I heard they are quite nice and get throaty when you open it up.
I had one, it droned above 75mph in 6th gear on the highway. Pretty tame. Again, if you want stealth, catted downpipe with stock exhaust sounds pretty good under hard acceleration but almost undetectable putting around.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
All the tuners will tell you that the stock DP and exhaust are perfectly fine with a stock-body turbo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm trying to stay away from mods that require changing up the factory look of the car. I'm more of a sleeper look. No stickers. No wings and such. Just looks stock aside from rims.
I know that you were talking about the exterior of the car (concerning an open inlet at the fog light), but the ST200 air box absolutely looks the MOST 'factory' of any of the others from the topside under hood viewpoint. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
St200 airbox if you want something proven enough that the factory used as it was based off the Mountune Airbox which they documented small gains with. Plus it is a true cold air intake and looks stock. So you will hear a little bit more and still fly under the radar.
Catted DP is definitely a decent idea except I would recommend the Miltek as like my Mountune Sportcat it actually has a larger Cat than a lot of the other Aftermarket catted DP. Its really up to you though.
Also I did put on a Thermal R&D 3 inch catback but that was more because I felt the stock exhaust note was way to tame. Also the Thermal is design with a Helmholz filter so it will not drone. Another decent catback choice is actually the Mountune supposedly it was designed in a similar fashion though piping is not as big.
Neither of these are needed though like JDG said.
In my opinion the Velossa tech is waste of money . Its just defeating an already well designed system.
I would also say trying to push 300 on the Whoosh hybrid will not happen unless you do something aux fuel wise. On pump gas it hits about 250-260 with e30 you will hit around 270. max.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

I'd like to go with the Whoosh turbo. Is there really any difference turbo wise at this WHP goal?
I have the Cobb cat back. It's not ridiculously loud but sounds great when you get on it. Cobb's videos on their site actually give a pretty good representation of what you should expect tone wise. I run a catless dp and don't notice it droning at all and get compliments nonstop about how good it sounds. From adults. Not 17 yr olds with fart can exhausts.

Last edited:
OP
2Noob4U
Thread Starter #14
Watch this and all your dreams will come true.

View: https://youtu.be/I3NtaeQZBRo
Yeah... I'm already your biggest fan. I've watched all your stuff on YouTube about the Fiesta. I'd like to do something very similar with my car. I see you are running the Puma Speed turbo. I'm not sure which turbo to purchase. Whoosh Hybrid looks cheaper. I want it to be a very easy install. Sometimes you end up welding and smashing up the firewall to "make" things fit. I'd spend more money to make sure I had everything to do it in a weekend. Love the channel BTW thanks for all the content.

OP
2Noob4U
Thread Starter #15
I have the Cobb cat back. It's not ridiculously loud but sounds great when you get on it. Cobb's videos on their site actually give a pretty good representation of what you should expect tone wise. I run a catless dp and don't notice it droning at all and get compliments nonstop about how good it sounds. From adults. Not 17 yr olds with fart can exhausts.
With your COBB catback how is the cabin noise on the highway at about 60-80 mph?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
With your COBB catback how is the cabin noise on the highway at about 60-80 mph?
Noise is present but not intrusive. I don't find myself listening to the radio extra loud to drown it out or anything. Going up a hill in high gear it's definitely noticeable though.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Yeah... I'm already your biggest fan. I've watched all your stuff on YouTube about the Fiesta. I'd like to do something very similar with my car. I see you are running the Puma Speed turbo. I'm not sure which turbo to purchase. Whoosh Hybrid looks cheaper. I want it to be a very easy install. Sometimes you end up welding and smashing up the firewall to "make" things fit. I'd spend more money to make sure I had everything to do it in a weekend. Love the channel BTW thanks for all the content.
Same here, was watching his vids from before I picked up my car. I'm looking at the whoosh hybrid myself. From initial research I will probably get new coolant lines from Ford for a fresh set of those crush washer things but other than that it appears perfectly plug and play.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Glad you guys have been helped by the videos. Puma no longer makes what I have on my car but the Whoosh is pretty much the closest choice for direct install. The S280 requires a small modification to the engine block, not bad but if you want to avoid that get the Whoosh. I've looked closely at the graphs, it's about identical to my X47 in every measurable way (spool, whp, wtq) within a 1% margin +/- on various fuel options. The old guard will acknowledge that the X47 was the ultimate and perfect hybrid for our cars, everything else after that is unbalanced when it comes to power delivery/spool/hp curve. The Whoosh turbo is a great stateside turbo that duplicates everything good about the X47.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Glad you guys have been helped by the videos. Puma no longer makes what I have on my car but the Whoosh is pretty much the closest choice for direct install. The S280 requires a small modification to the engine block, not bad but if you want to avoid that get the Whoosh. I've looked closely at the graphs, it's about identical to my X47 in every measurable way (spool, whp, wtq) within a 1% margin +/- on various fuel options. The old guard will acknowledge that the X47 was the ultimate and perfect hybrid for our cars, everything else after that is unbalanced when it comes to power delivery/spool/hp curve. The Whoosh turbo is a great stateside turbo that duplicates everything good about the X47.
This is a broad statement Jeff, I would not consider the S280 to be unbalanced when it comes to power deliver aka TQ/ spool and HP and TQ curve . I also bet D-Resonant would argue that with his S242 except those are no longer made like your Turbo.
Also a lot of the old guard moved on from x47‘s to big Turbo‘s years ago. So again I look at your statement as a bit biased towards your love of it. I cannot blame you for that. It was a pretty damn good turbo in its day when there were not as many offerings.
edit....
I would hazard to say it was Pumaspeed’s best Turbo.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I believe that jeff was exempting the S280 from that 'unbalanced' statement, and was solely directing it towards the 550s, and bigger that the 'peakers' seek out for huge power numbers way up top. [wink]

(But I could be wrong, jeff?)