Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension damage after crash

CaptainHummus

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hey all,

I got into an accident that ended up totaling out my vehicle. I have the option to buy it back and fix it myself/get it fixed as a salvaged car.

its going to be sold at an auction and I placed a cap for myself around $2k USD.

My question is whether or not its even worth trying to fix this damage.

I know the images/video can’t capture the extent of the internal damage and it might depend on if the frame is bent or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

Ouch.

Is the frame rail bent? How does the suffrage assembly look? Is that bent too? If so, that is several hours on a rack to start with. Then you would need to deal with any drift from normal on camber, caster, etc to get it 'right'.

Really depends on how valuable that specific car is to you, vs getting another one that hasn't been damaged.

OP
C

CaptainHummus

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Not sure if the frame rail is bent. Will be hard to tell without original dimensions to compare too. These cars are pretty light so im hoping its not bent.

Whats the suffrage assembly youre talking about?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
first off find out how much the total damage estimate was. When my car was t boned it had 26k. mileage on it and the total software was running off 80% of wholesale value so it only took 13k to total my 18 back in 23. Insurance offerred me 23k after adjustments for the fact it was an Orange Spice Factory Recaro ebony wheel car. They sold it back to me and gave me 21k I fixed it for $8500 . Can you say win win.
Now yours is a 2016 as it looks to be a Kona Blue so it’s going to come in at less value and easier to total. So the big question is what others have said and are to main things . Did your subframe get damaged? If not good you’re halfway there . Then did the frame rail get bent and what about your inner fender? Those three things will turn a relatively not crazy expensive repair into a possible completely not worth it.

Does the car still drive? does it drive like normal or feel bent . From closer look at your pics you most likely have inner fender damage the question is does it down to the frame rail .Hits like yours get messy quick. It doe also look like you possibly have bent control arm.
Again it all comes down to answering these questions cost of repairs value of car and value of cash offer for a total.

This part under the hood here, no bueno and would need replacing. I doubt it could be pulled:
1707997836216.png

Found this picture, courtesy of STealthWerx. Here you can clearly see framerails, lower thick hollow posts. And the inner fender that would need replacing.
The framerail could have taken damage as it is made to crumble in a collision.
1708090181474.png

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Here's an alternative perspective. It's risky. It likely won't come down to the question of whether or not it's repairable. The problem is, most people don't have the cash on-hand to fix something like that. Most repair shops are aware of this and push away jobs because they don't want to be upside down on a salvage title vehicle. So in situations like this, the average person is forced into getting new/used simply for the purpose of securing the loan. Add to that, the time it takes for repair and related costs for alternative transportation.

Last edited:
OP
C

CaptainHummus

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #10
Hey all thanks for your input. I ended up not buying her back; cost to store and repair was too high for me.