Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension upgrade

DarthFiST

Hey guys. I have a 2015 FiST. It's got stock suspension on it right now. It is currently my daily driver, but I'm looking to also try and start racing it. However, I don't make a whole lot of money and am wondering if any of you have ideas on a good suspension upgrade that does brake the bank. A poor man's upgrade?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hey guys. I have a 2015 FiST. It's got stock suspension on it right now. It is currently my daily driver, but I'm looking to also try and start racing it. However, I don't make a whole lot of money and am wondering if any of you have ideas on a good suspension upgrade that does brake the bank. A poor man's upgrade?
The '15 suspension is nice and firm already but sits a little high, you could do some Swift Spec-R lowering springs for around $300 and be done, you don't need to spend any more... and depending on which class you race in, I know you have to stay mostly stock for lower Auto-X classes anyway, with only 1 sway bar allowed and we already have a front, so you can race in lower classes all stock if you are truly on a tight budget... otherwise Swift springs are best for performance at $300, but Whiteline are excellent quality for the money at around $200 if you need cheaper.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
...and the Mountune springs just went on sale. 15% off. I just got the email notice right after I posted the above post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Buy track/seat time.

And brake pads/fluid. Don't worry about suspension. Learn to drive it.
I strongly second this. I started off with AutoX and it took a while to begin to maximize the abilities of the car. Once you get there, you’ll have a better understanding that suspension upgrades can help slightly, but nothing like driver mod will.

This being said I have coilovers coming to minimize camber loss from body roll and increase transient response feel. Hahaha. I feel like I’ve fully explored the stock setup and I’m chasing tenths of seconds to give me a shot at 1st place.

OP
D

DarthFiST

Thread Starter #8
Wow! Thanks dudes. This actually helped a lot. Now I just need to find somewhere to race near me. Also, really appreciate the recommendations, they actually are priced pretty well for my budget and a decent upgrade, however you guys are right. I probably should get more experience in racing it before I really get into that. I just honestly didn't know that theres a racing class for stock FiST.

the duke

Right now, nothing. The plague has killed fun.

Look into local SCCA club(s). They should organize Autocross, Track Night in America, Time Trials, Rallycross, a multitude of stuff.

NASA also organizes as well. Especially with zero racing experience you'll learn the car will far outdrive you. If you do an open track day at the very least change to a high-temp brake fluid. More aggressive pads will help but aren't required. Being new you shouldn't be dive bombing into corners so you shouldn't need beyond a stock car.

I think the stock suspension works great. Have expensive staggered double digressive coilovers on one car and stock suspension on the other, and it feels different but I actually prefer the stock 2014 spec suspension with 70,000 miles on it. If I have race tires like Hoosiers then the coilovers have an edge for sure.

...I'm looking to also try and start racing it...I don't make a whole lot of money...
lol, good luck with that!

I'm guessing tracking or Auto-X would better suit your budget. I wouldn't recommend open track days until at least some modicum of experience is gained otherwise you won't know what you're doing wrong or how to improve - I've seen some real knucklehead moves at OT days from "drivers" that think they are the next Schumacher.

I highly recommend NASA - it's a great organization that provides instructors to teach you proper car control and track etiquette. And I agree with others - use the money you'd spend on parts towards seat time and you'll come out ahead in the end.