Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Symposer delete, drop in filter, fmic, AP with Stratified tune.

I got my fiesta at the beginning of this month. It’s been a fun little car. Packs more punch and handles better than I ever expected! The reviews were raving on this little ford, I was pumped to get my hands on it.

Anyways, I’ve done a plethora of research since joining this forum. I have learned a lot. I’m thinking of doing a high flow drop in filter, a Whoosh FMIC, then eventually an AP with a Stratified tune coupled with symposer delete to keep boost from leaking. Through research I also found Finger Tuning, the guy used to work for Stratified, but parted ways and made his own company. Is his tune worth the extra money?

What kind of numbers can I expect from a tune / fmic and drop-in? Should I stick with Stratified over Finger Tuning? Also, I’m kind of bummed to have to remove the symposer when I get tuned. I like the extra noise! I guess the filter will make up for some noise and I’ll have to get an exhaust eventually (was thinking Thermal 3”).

Thanks for your replies and info! These online communities are what make driving cars like the Fiesta fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

Congrats on the pickup! These little cars are a blast!

You're definitely on the right track with the mod list/order.

I went with the Stratified tune and I'm very happy. I currently have a high flow filter, colder plugs, symposer delete, Depo Racing IC and an MBRP catback.

I haven't heard anything about Finger Tuning. The main two that I'm familiar with are Stratified and Dizzy. The general consensus is that Dizzy is a tune that's better for daily driving and the Stratified tune is more aggressive, but they both make similar power.

I don't think you need to remove the symposer if you don't want to. It can leak boost, but I don't think that it always does. I just didn't like the gimmick so I got rid of mine.

Mikey456

I’m not convinced that you have to remove the sound symposer when you get a tune. I have heard that it is a possible problem when you up the boost, but I have not seen a thread opening up here about “leaking sound symposers” being a widespread problem. I guess a lot of folks just chuck them. I might keep mine on but limit my boost levels to closer to factory. Just my 2 cents.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Keep the symposer if you like the noise; it likely won't leak for quite some time. If/when it does you'll be able to see any significant drop in boost with your AP.

I've not heard of Finger Tuning but Stratified is very well respected and established. There's only so much you're going to get out of the stock turbo and I think that all of the established tuners are roughly equal with their tunes save the Cobb OTS tunes, which are very conservative.

Don't worry about numbers. It's hard to compare the performance of a light, FWD, short-geared FiST again that of any other car, so who cares how many WHP you're getting? Just have fun.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #5
Keep the symposer if you like the noise; it likely won't leak for quite some time. If/when it does you'll be able to see any significant drop in boost with your AP.

I've not heard of Finger Tuning but Stratified is very well respected and established. There's only so much you're going to get out of the stock turbo and I think that all of the established tuners are roughly equal with their tunes save the Cobb OTS tunes, which are very conservative.

Don't worry about numbers. It's hard to compare the performance of a light, FWD, short-geared FiST again that of any other car, so who cares how many WHP you're getting? Just have fun.
Good to know about the symposer. I’ll just keep it unless I notice an issue. As for the numbers, I’m not trying to be faster than anyone, just genuinely curious what kind of power those reasonably price mods will add (drop in, fmic, custom tune).

I was just like you 2 years ago. I saw all of the rave reviews from various auto journalists so I took note and bought one. It's such a fun car for the price, Ford really knocked it out of the park!

I've been on the Mountune drop in filter, Mountune tune from Randy and Mountune FMIC. This is the perfect bang per buck setup in my opinion. The car is so fun in stock form, it didn't really need it in the first place but I took advantage of a sale and am happy with the purchase. My V-Dyno said 180 HP and 250 TQ as far as numbers, but like others have stated those are just numbers and don't tell the whole story.

I'd suggest this route and do more research about the other mods you're interested in. You will find that the other mods such as downpipes, intakes, exhausts, etc do not really add much more to the car relative to the costs of said mods.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #8
And a upgraded Rigid Motor Mount ^^
Will definitely check for that. My car has random upgrades like stainless brake lines and slotted/drilled rotors. When I say random, those are the only mods I’ve seen. RMM is probably stock, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #9
I was just like you 2 years ago. I saw all of the rave reviews from various auto journalists so I took note and bought one. It's such a fun car for the price, Ford really knocked it out of the park!

I've been on the Mountune drop in filter, Mountune tune from Randy and Mountune FMIC. This is the perfect bang per buck setup in my opinion. The car is so fun in stock form, it didn't really need it in the first place but I took advantage of a sale and am happy with the purchase. My V-Dyno said 180 HP and 250 TQ as far as numbers, but like others have stated those are just numbers and don't tell the whole story.

I'd suggest this route and do more research about the other mods you're interested in. You will find that the other mods such as downpipes, intakes, exhausts, etc do not really add much more to the car relative to the costs of said mods.
What is V-dyno? Thanks for the response! I’m excited to do drop in, fmic and especially a tune. I’ve never had a turbo car stock. Looking forward to seeing the difference with a tune.

You can expect to make 175-195 whp and 250-290 wtq with those mods. The higher end is with e30. Search for the dyno/ v-dyno thread.

I would throw Tune+ into the mix as well. Seems like Strat, Dizzy, and Tune+ are the big three tuners for these cars outside of Cobb and Mountune. I think Tune+ unlimited is the route I will go when the time comes. Sounds like you cant go really wrong with any of these guys though.

I have the same mods you listed + NGK colder plugs, MBRP catback and RMM.
I ran a Stratified tune for a month and liked it, then went to a Dizzy tune to see what the hype was about, it is smoother than stratified and uses the cruise controls for slot selection like the Cobb maps. Stratified was more aggressive but more difficult to drive the car smoothly around town (was jumpy with aggressive throttle).
Both tunes (93 oct) are significantly more powerful than stock and I have no regrets with these mods so far. If E85 was more readily available in my area I would get Dizzy's E30 tune.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Just my experience, once I did the Symposer delete I did see my boost immediately go up a tiny bit and then level off, so I'm pretty sure once you do go above stock boost levels it does leak a little immediately, but you won't notice performance issues, with a MAP system, the turbo will just work a tiny bit harder, not a huge deal... but also, I simply did a muffler swap to a glasspack to get more natural noise, didn't cost much, left all the rest stock and I get a nice deep tone with a bit of natural pops and gurgles without that in the tune.I also like having less junk in my engine bay, took the wiring loom all the way out too.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have the same mods you listed + NGK colder plugs, MBRP catback and RMM.
I ran a Stratified tune for a month and liked it, then went to a Dizzy tune to see what the hype was about, it is smoother than stratified and uses the cruise controls for slot selection like the Cobb maps. Stratified was more aggressive but more difficult to drive the car smoothly around town (was jumpy with aggressive throttle).
Both tunes (93 oct) are significantly more powerful than stock and I have no regrets with these mods so far. If E85 was more readily available in my area I would get Dizzy's E30 tune.
I even did vDyno's between Stratified and Dizzy and surprisingly got a bit more torque from Dizzy but the Stratified does "feel and sound" racier... I think I figured it out, Dizzy starts with a high base timing map while Stratified starts with lower timing but adds more very quickly so it feels like the car accelerates away from you even under the same light throttle position. Also, while it may be "safe", Stratified pushing for over 26psi for max boost target on pump that's only there for a millisecond anyway leads to some minor issues like running out of steam up top faster than it really has to. With Stratified being so popular for a long time has partly lead to the "falls flat on it's face after 5500rpm" widely spread thing. With my Dizzy and Pwnall tunes, my HP actually falls after *very* slowly past 5500rpm, while the Stratified falls off faster. Now, I have an upgraded crossover and turbo inlet too, but still, I was looking at over 200whp at 6000 with ethanol tunes.

Mikey456

I even did vDyno's between Stratified and Dizzy and surprisingly got a bit more torque from Dizzy but the Stratified does "feel and sound" racier... I think I figured it out, Dizzy starts with a high base timing map while Stratified starts with lower timing but adds more very quickly so it feels like the car accelerates away from you even under the same light throttle position. Also, while it may be "safe", Stratified pushing for over 26psi for max boost target on pump that's only there for a millisecond anyway leads to some minor issues like running out of steam up top faster than it really has to. With Stratified being so popular for a long time has partly lead to the "falls flat on it's face after 5500rpm" widely spread thing. With my Dizzy and Pwnall tunes, my HP actually falls after *very* slowly past 5500rpm, while the Stratified falls off faster. Now, I have an upgraded crossover and turbo inlet too, but still, I was looking at over 200whp at 6000 with ethanol tunes.
I will be considering the Stratified tune bundle with the AP in the future. If you request a lower max boost target would it not make for a smoother throttle or more linear power band. How does the car respond in their ECO mode? Is the throttle still “racy” or is it less so? We are talking about the linear throttle option right?

I am peaking around 26.25 pounds of boost with Dizzy so I am not sure where some comments I have seen come from that say Dizzy tunes are less boosty than Stratified. I agree about the timing though, I was getting +6 ignition corrections with Stratified, Dizzy I am seeing under 3 degrees of added timing. Oh and i forgot to mention but with 4 full tanks of gas through the car with Dizzy I am getting 29.6 MPG where I was only getting 27 with Stratified. I do 50/50 HWY/city so this could be the less aggressive nature with around town stop and go driving compared to Stratified.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I’m kind of bummed to have to remove the symposer when I get tuned.
You don't *have* to get rid of the symposer, but there's a frequency overlap with intakes and exhaust noise that causes a big jump in perceived drone. Also, yes, when tuned your chances of symposer leakage go up. When I first deleted my symposer with no intake/exhaust I was kinda upset because my car sounded like a dust buster - that being said, every once in a while I swap my (v-banded) stock exhaust back on and go to stock intake and just drive around in silence for a few days.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I will be considering the Stratified tune bundle with the AP in the future. If you request a lower max boost target would it not make for a smoother throttle or more linear power band. How does the car respond in their ECO mode? Is the throttle still “racy” or is it less so? We are talking about the linear throttle option right?
Keep in mind both are in flash form with no revisions, but at 24.75 Dizzy compared to the 26.25 maximum peak requested boost in Stratified helps Dizzy have that smoother high end powerband. That what was explained to me from Jason when I asked why his peak boost was lower. I'm not sure if that also is how Dizzy makes slightly more torque too but I believe that the racey throttle, yes, even on linear with Stratified is from the timing and how it has lower base timing but adds in quickly, up to 6 degrees, which is more aggressive on 93 than on 91 since I have both. I haven't played around in ECO mode, and I'd give it a try but I'm running ethanol tunes right now that I don't have in Stratified.

I will also say that Stratified does have a bit better coolant temp control, partly due to having the radiator fan come on sooner than OEM but also I think that by having a lower base timing idle temps are better controlled and also may run a touch richer as well, which may partly to blame for the slightly lower mileage that was just mentioned too.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am peaking around 26.25 pounds of boost with Dizzy so I am not sure where some comments I have seen come from that say Dizzy tunes are less boosty than Stratified. I agree about the timing though, I was getting +6 ignition corrections with Stratified, Dizzy I am seeing under 3 degrees of added timing. Oh and i forgot to mention but with 4 full tanks of gas through the car with Dizzy I am getting 29.6 MPG where I was only getting 27 with Stratified. I do 50/50 HWY/city so this could be the less aggressive nature with around town stop and go driving compared to Stratified.
Yep, by using a more realistic 24.75 (when you only see 23.5 or so through the power band anyway on a stock turbo with factory WGA), Dizzy may not struggle so much to hit targeted torque and is smoother up high for that reason most likely. And yes, with Dizzy, he has higher base timing so less needs to be added, at the very slight expense of not quite as cool running. But I even had Stratified lower my peak boost by half a psi, as some of us saw some strange carbon burning smells on our low mileage cars. Now, that could have been exhaust or whatever still "burning in" or maybe even helps with carbon buildup prevention, but it was still a little concerning but I don't get that anymore after more miles and the slight boost reduction. I will give Stratified all the credit in the world for not charging me for addressing things I had concerns with, but I still prefer my Dizzy all day every day.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh, as far as your boost, that's on Stage 1 custom, e30 or Stage 2, right? Stage 1 flash is definitely only 24.75 max or you have a failing waste gate or DV.