Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 to launch in 2016 Fiesta, Escape

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/02/ford-sync-3-launch-details/

[Ford] has revealed that its tuned-up infotainment will first show up in 2016 Escape and Fiesta models, both of which go on sale this summer. If you'll recall, this version of Sync makes some big strides toward matching the experience you get on your smartphone. Besides touting an easier (or rather, less cumbersome) and speedier interface, it also brings in support for phone-like capacitive touch, more natural voice commands and WiFi updating. Sync 3 is much smarter about talking to your mobile gear, as well. It'll be one of the first shipping in-car platforms to support both Android Auto and CarPlay, and it'll eventually communicate directly with supporting navigation apps

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
However it will NOT be retrofitted into earlier year models.

Dave

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #3
However it will NOT be retrofitted into earlier year models.

Dave
Of course. It's worth noting that is because Sync 3 does require more robust processor and memory requirements than are in current MyFord/MyLincoln Touch systems.

Sync 3 also supports pinch-and-zoom controls which will require a touchscreen that supports multi-point gestures. The current MFT touchscreen hardware does not have this capability.

KKaWing

I wonder if we can replace the entire unit though. Like buy the sync3 module and hook it up and somehow get it to play nice with everything else.

Well of course they would. They wanted me to sign for a 2015 before they would dare bring in new tech. Typical.

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #7
I wonder if we can replace the entire unit though. Like buy the sync3 module and hook it up and somehow get it to play nice with everything else.
Probably not. At least not without major effort. The system integrates with the BCM.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Can we say "Sync 2 because racecar" and be happy? They did not say the weight so it may add some lbs... [biggrin]

In all seriousness there is always something better next year, next month, next whatever. Learn to love what you have or start paying to play (aka get a new car more often). Other than the new shininess I 'm not really seeing anything better unless you have Nav due to the pinch zoom and maybe better Apple integration.

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #9
Can we say "Sync 2 because racecar" and be happy? They did not say the weight so it may add some lbs... [biggrin]

In all seriousness there is always something better next year, next month, next whatever. Learn to love what you have or start paying to play (aka get a new car more often). Other than the new shininess I 'm not really seeing anything better unless you have Nav due to the pinch zoom and maybe better Apple integration.
Actual app integration for SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, etc is going to be big.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Actual app integration for SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, etc is going to be big.
Agreed if you can control them via Sync Voice but right now I can listen to everything you list via bluetooth and have better nav(even though I got nav in the vehicles). If I have to touch my phone or the car's screen what is the difference? Beyond that I think there is still a challenge. A phone you may change every 2 years and it will be leaps and bound faster, etc... A car last much longer. Can the Sync 3 still be good in 3 years on the 2016? Maybe what about in 5 years... I have lived through the Sync versions in 2008, 2011 and 2015. I used them to the extent but it does not age well, BUT has outlasted most phone/electronics I had purchased around the same time. So in that respect I think its good.

Don't take the above as arguing I'm just happy with what I have and not concerned with the rest. Talk to me in 10 years when i'm looking for a new car. I may say different [:)]

Last point I have is: what happens when this technology is exploited? Malware, virus etc... maybe we are ok with that now or will be okay to have some down time, and maybe i'm just too old.

What can you do? New stuff is always coming out. It would be nice if it is able to be installed into older ones though. The more natural voice commands would be great. While I was initially blown away by being able to talk to my car for most everything, over time I get tired of the strange way I have to speak to it. I just want it to work more like my phone, but its still far better than the old school button-controlled CD/MP3/radio in the Evo. At least I'll get to check it out since the wife wants an Escape and I would suspect we will pick one up within the next year.

me32

1000 Post Club
How many issues an bugs will be in sync 3? Dont think it will all good with no bad. Whos gonna be the 1st one to get one a test it for us?

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #14
How many issues an bugs will be in sync 3? Dont think it will all good with no bad. Whos gonna be the 1st one to get one a test it for us?
Find me any first-gen software without bugs.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I know , I am not going to like it.
But then, I am never going to buy it.

Dave

Seems fluid enough...but I really don't like the whole white background:
[video=youtube;BSvA1xZvOjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvA1xZvOjw[/video]

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #19
Seems fluid enough...but I really don't like the whole white background:
[video=youtube;BSvA1xZvOjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvA1xZvOjw[/video]
You can easily switch it to "night mode". Plus whatever interface that will be with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.