Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 Wi-fi update comments from Ford Customer care

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Talked to Ford a couple of times in the past two weeks. This info is part of a chat session I had with them. Eric is the Ford rep. I talked with two on the phone that did not even want to admit that Ford is having problems.

Eric says:
"We are aware that there is an issue with many vehicles not being able to auto update through Wi-Fi. The issues seem to be consistent in that the vehicle will search and either time out and not find the update, or will continue searching.
John says:
Thank you for that info, is there someone working on it? When can we expect a resolution.
Eric says:
We do not have an ETA at this time, but it is being worked on, as we have had very little success rate with the over the air updates completing.
John says:
I know on the Fiesta ST forum there are many that have been updated wi-fi and why those of us that haven't are trying to get answers for quite a while.
Eric says:
I understand. The over the air updates seemed to be working initially, although taking longer than the USB process, but with the recent update released, it seems that many vehicles are failing to find the update."

So they know about it but seem to be lost on how to fix it.

As to USB updating they know there are problems there........I asked about USB update failures.

"Eric says:
I understand. Most of the errors and issues we see with the USB process pertain to the contents or arrangement of files on the USB, but the latest 2.3 update has been working of the USB is arranged correctly."

So the problem is "contents or arrangement of files", I guess this was a multiple choice question. If it is the "contents" when will it be fixed? If it is the arrangement of files why does it not download in the proper "arrangement", when will that be fixed?

So, they know they have problems but have no idea when they will be fixed. We already bought our cars and I don't think Ford is working too hard to fix the issue for current owners. So for now you can hope for a miracle, do it yourself if you feel lucky, or wait,and wait. I do find it interesting that they acknowledge the USB problem but still suggest you do it yourself with "contents or arrangement of files" problems. Don't seem to be concerned about bricking your Sync 3. I am disappointed in Ford for this attitude. Just the costs of taking it to the dealer and the dealer getting paid to do it I would think would be a large financial burden Ford would not want if they could update free via Wi-fi. Mystery to me!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This is helpful. I agree the Wi-Fi updating is quite bad. Mine came new 8/16 with version 1.0, and never updated from there. It made a few attempts,but gave up after a progress bar stalled at about 20%. One excuse they gave me was that my signal, 2 bars or so,in my garage was too weak. It's an attached garage, not too far from the router. I told them I considered that another defect in the system, because almost no one has a router in their garage. It'a almost always in their house, maybe a couple rooms away. The system should be able to update with a signal that exists in the real world.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
This is helpful. I agree the Wi-Fi updating is quite bad. Mine came new 8/16 with version 1.0, and never updated from there. It made a few attempts,but gave up after a progress bar stalled at about 20%. One excuse they gave me was that my signal, 2 bars or so,in my garage was too weak. It's an attached garage, not too far from the router. I told them I considered that another defect in the system, because almost no one has a router in their garage. It'a almost always in their house, maybe a couple rooms away. The system should be able to update with a signal that exists in the real world.
That is the whole point.....I get Gracenote and Sirius update fine. Have a strong signal. I have no indication they have ever even attempted on mine. They (the Ford Sync Server) have problems.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I get Sirius updates too, they're the only ones I get, which is ironic, since I didn't subscribe to it it's the only update that I have absolutely no use for. I don't plan to use Android Auto because I don't plug my phone in. When I complained to Ford about how poor the Wi-Fi updating is, they said why don't you do with a usb drive. I said after reading about all the problems people on here are having with that, there's no way I'm subjecting myself to that misery since I don't need AA. If I did, I'd be really mad.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I don't want the crap of something going wrong. Especially now that Ford admits even the USB upgrade has issues. I think we on the Forum knew that long ago. I will not take my car to a dealer unless it is a warranty issue. Mine is two years old and never seen the dealer since I drove off. I don't trust them because of too many bad experiences but also because my son got his early training working at new car dealerships as a mechanic. He now knows what he is doing but he and I laugh at some of the things that go on in a service dept. like cleaning up each day and picking up a handful of nuts, bolts and washers and wondering which car they came off of!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't want the crap of something going wrong. Especially now that Ford admits even the USB upgrade has issues. I think we on the Forum knew that long ago. I will not take my car to a dealer unless it is a warranty issue. Mine is two years old and never seen the dealer since I drove off. I don't trust them because of too many bad experiences but also because my son got his early training working at new car dealerships as a mechanic. He now knows what he is doing but he and I laugh at some of the things that go on in a service dept. like cleaning up each day and picking up a handful of nuts, bolts and washers and wondering which car they came off of!
I am almost afraid of going there for warranty body work, since my (EPDM?) roof strips are peeling back near the windshield, and the passenger side rocker extension to body gap is getting worse near the trailing edge of the front wheel opening.

I am still trying to find a strong enough (and less than $80.00 a tube/cartridge) trim glue to try and fix these items myself. :(

IF I also have only the 1.0 version of Sync, with NO updates, is there ANY reason for me to do this if I NEVER EVER plan on connecting to the system with a phone?
In other words; are there ANY other functional, car system monitoring/performance/etc. reasons to keep up on these updates besides speed of wifi connection, USB stick use (which I will also NEVER use!) and such?

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I am almost afraid of going there for warranty body work, since my (EPDM?) roof strips are peeling back near the windshield, and the passenger side rocker extension to body gap is getting worse near the trailing edge of the front wheel opening.

I am still trying to find a strong enough (and less than $80.00 a tube/cartridge) trim glue to try and fix these items myself. :(

IF I also have only the 1.0 version of Sync, with NO updates, is there ANY reason for me to do this if I NEVER EVER plan on connecting to the system with a phone?
In other words; are there ANY other functional, car system monitoring/performance/etc. reasons to keep up on these updates besides speed of wifi connection, USB stick use (which I will also NEVER use!) and such?
If you don't have Nav and want to see the map from your phone nav you will need to upgrade. I don't have Nav so it would be something I want. So in your case I don't think so. I use the USB for my playlist for general listening but CD for serious listening. But the upgrade has nothing to do with that.

Have yo looked at the 3M website for adhesives?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I am still on version 1.0 of Sync 3 and my phone connects with Bluetooth every time I get in the car, and I also play my USB music through the system with very few problems. I doubt there are any non-Sync 3 car-related functional or performance advantages with the later Sync 3 versions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Have yo looked at the 3M website for adhesives?
THANKS for that info! [thumb]

Yes, I was planning on using one of the 3M products, but not sure which one it is that the dealers/body shops would use for those applications (It needs to be VERY strong, AND 'quick setting' for the rocker bonding).

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
THANKS for that info! [thumb]

Yes, I was planning on using one of the 3M products, but not sure which one it is that the dealers/body shops would use for those applications (It needs to be VERY strong, AND 'quick setting' for the rocker bonding).
They have one the is good for -20 to 140 F and weatherproof.....

Spaceman_Spiff

...since my (EPDM?) roof strips are peeling back near the windshield...
Mine did that, too. FYI, they didn't just glue them back on, they said there are metal strips inside to make them keep their shape and they have to be replaced.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Today, after owning the car for 18 months and no auto-updates from the original version 1.0 it came with ever happening, for the first time I saw the little download arrow on my Sync 3 screen (I have it set to auto-download from Wifi and never tried a manual update.) Intrigued, I touched the arrow and it said-
You have successfully updated to Sync 3 Version 1.0 Build 15139 (what it came with.) How exciting!

me32

1000 Post Club
Isn't part of the issue hardware on the 16s? The hardware got updated for the 17s+

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The full story on my so-called WiFi "update" to Version 1.0 is on another thread I started. Just for completeness here,the next day when I started the car I got a "Bad Installation File" error message, and my voice recognition now doesn't work. Lots of system resets didn't help.
The supposed update not only didn't update my Sync 3, it f***ed up the old version I had which I was fine with. Now that is annoying.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
The full story on my so-called WiFi "update" to Version 1.0 is on another thread I started. Just for completeness here,the next day when I started the car I got a "Bad Installation File" error message, and my voice recognition now doesn't work. Lots of system resets didn't help.
The supposed update not only didn't update my Sync 3, it f***ed up the old version I had which I was fine with. Now that is annoying.
What is sad is just recently Ford told me updates for 2016 non nav were blocked at Ford. I yours a Nav unit?

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
It's non-nav, what they told you is wrong.
Sad......I thought I had elevated it to a level at Ford Sync where they knew what they were talking about. I specifically asked why I had no indication that it ever attempted to update. His response was "the car units checks for updates routinely but the 2016 N-N units show no updates are available to prevent update problems." Yours tried to update to the same version correct? Wonder what the deal on that is? If mine asks if I want to update I think I will pass right now after your experience.