Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC3 on 2016 FiST

Ok, this is beaten to death but I am having a hard time with all of this. I had a 2016 Focus ST that was basic sync 2 that I was able to update to sync 3, update the usb hub and all worked great, car play and all. I just picked up a 2016 Fiesta ST w/sync 3 version 1.0. Ford.com says I have an update to 3.4 but NO MATTER how I go about trying to load it I get an error message that some of the data didnt load properly as soon as I put the memory stick in. I have done a master reset multiple times, I have formatted 2 memory sticks, one with the EX or whatever and the other different per the ford site and nothing seems to matter. I have ordered the USB hub but really think I need to load each incremental update instead of the whole thing to 3.4. I even tried the cyanlabs but kept giving me an error message that I needed to enter my region and no matter how many times I did it wouldnt change and kept appearing.

And beleive me when I say I have rebooted, used new PC's, new memory sticks formatted properly and un zipped things per the instructions.

Anyone got any other ideas? I hate not have carplay.

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #3
Steve,
As much as I would love to go with this you would be wrong. When I put in my vin number on the ford site it tells me specifically 3.4 is available.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
On the Ford website.
Try it on the page I linked.

When you do it, I strongly recommend you download and print the instruction sheet and follow it exactly. It's easy to miss a step or not do something right. And then it doesn't work. And you have to sit there with the engine running and watch the screen. When it finishes, if you don't pull the USB stick out quickly enough it starts all over again.

Sync 3.4 was never offered for the Fiesta ST and I doubt they are offering it now; if they were, you would think it would show it available for my 2019. It doesn't show for my 2018 F150 either.

You can get Sync 3.4 from other channels (cyan labs, my_ford_focus.de, etc.) and get them to install, but Ford doesn't supply it for Fiesta STs in the US.

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #8
I have done everything on the down load sheet and this isnt my first rodeo. I have had to do this on 2 different Focus ST's and all of our trucks over the last 10 years. I have had sync systems since 09.

I forgot too that you need the speed USB hub to get carplay so I upgraded that, or so I thought. The part number used to end with a B. What the dealerships have now ends in a D. I got that one and it tells me that USB device is not supported. I did however find older ones that still end in B so I am going to see if that works as they may be slightly different.

Goodness had I known all of this I would have just bought a Fiesta with the ST3 package.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
There were no such packages on the Fiesta ST.

The primary problem you are having likely stems from trying to put Sync 3.4 on it.

The 2016 Fiesta ST comes with Sync 3 and that's it. No changes to USB ports are necessary to update Sync 3 to the latest version. No updates are necessary for a 2016 Fiesta ST to use Carplay or Android Auto. It works with the car just the way it came from 2016 on.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You don't have to do anything at all for Carplay to work, except plug in the phone with an Apple-supplied lightning cable. It worked with the Sync 3 the way it came from the factory, no updates or modifications needed.The instructions are on this page: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support/

If yours isn't doing it, check that someone didn't disable Carplay in the Settings section of Sync 3. There's a mention of that towards the bottom of the web page I linked.

or the cable you have is a charge only cable, not an actual data cable. I had to get a new cable, which solved the problem for me.

Dialcaliper

Ok, this is beaten to death but I am having a hard time with all of this. I had a 2016 Focus ST that was basic sync 2 that I was able to update to sync 3, update the usb hub and all worked great, car play and all. I just picked up a 2016 Fiesta ST w/sync 3 version 1.0. Ford.com says I have an update to 3.4 but NO MATTER how I go about trying to load it I get an error message that some of the data didnt load properly as soon as I put the memory stick in. I have done a master reset multiple times, I have formatted 2 memory sticks, one with the EX or whatever and the other different per the ford site and nothing seems to matter. I have ordered the USB hub but really think I need to load each incremental update instead of the whole thing to 3.4. I even tried the cyanlabs but kept giving me an error message that I needed to enter my region and no matter how many times I did it wouldnt change and kept appearing.

And beleive me when I say I have rebooted, used new PC's, new memory sticks formatted properly and un zipped things per the instructions.

Anyone got any other ideas? I hate not have carplay.
I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly Forscan forums) stating that as you have suggested, you need to update to 3.0 before you can jump to 3.4. No clue why, but it could be that 3.4 is a partial file update from 3.0/3.3.

Iā€™d give 3.0 a try first

Dialcaliper

There were no such packages on the Fiesta ST.

The primary problem you are having likely stems from trying to put Sync 3.4 on it.

The 2016 Fiesta ST comes with Sync 3 and that's it. No changes to USB ports are necessary to update Sync 3 to the latest version. No updates are necessary for a 2016 Fiesta ST to use Carplay or Android Auto. It works with the car just the way it came from 2016 on.
Like everything else (ST200 suspension upgrades, etc), Sync 3 was implemented in the 2016 facelift/update, meaning mid-model year. Some early 2016ā€™s still came with Sync 2 while later ones were upgraded to Sync 3.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My 2016 was a non nav Sync 3 car and did not have enough memory to update from the start. Ford installed a newer Sync 3 unit under warranty and all has been well since. I noticed my wife's 2019 Mustang GT had Google maps blocked for years and the other day it simple defaulted to it automatically when phone was plugged in! Thank you Ford for throwing in the towel.......your nav sucks!

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #16
My 2016 Focus ST came with sync2 and was able to upgrade to 3 later on. I still cannot get this to update. So frustrating. I just want carplay.

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #18
No it doesnt have Nav. It is still on version 1. I got it to start taking the update but after 5 hours it still not loading I bailed.

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #19
Then I read this...

Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades.

I tried both options on the hardware upgrade to the faster USB and it wouldnt let me install, said not supported.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If your Sync 3 is a 2016 and no Nav like mine Ford had to replace the unit as without nav the 2016 sync 3 would not update with Wi-Fi nor a memory stick for me due to lack of memory. Ford also could not update it. Good luck!