Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Syncing cams to crank

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Hey guys so I'm working with Alex from stratified for tuning my car and he's saying that it's possible if my camshafts which are Piper's v2 are not syncing to the crank it could be causing all my misfires. Now I would take it to the Ford dealership or a professional but the last 3 times I've done that things got really messed up and I have regressed back to only trusting myself to mess with my car. Could anyone either link a YouTube video or an instructional on how to do this and also what scan tool would allow me to do this. Thank you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As far as I know, this is a purely mechanical process. You would most likely need to re-time the engine.

Yes there are actuators on the cam gears but if the initial time was set incorrectly, it could cause tons of issues.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Would the vehicle still be drivable if this was the issue? I'm asking because other than the rapid misfires in very specific rpm ranges it drives perfectly fine otherwise.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Would the vehicle still be drivable if this was the issue? I'm asking because other than the rapid misfires in very specific rpm ranges it drives perfectly fine otherwise.

I don't see why not. The actuators can make up for some of the difference but not all of it at all rpms.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Ok, so it's not that then. I wish I could find a shop I trust. The guy I sent it to looked knowledgeable and sounded like he knew what was wrong. Fixed some things but ultimately the cars still broken. Mountune sent me a faulty engine with an arp bolt in the cams and this caused me to send it to him to diagnose and repair. When he removed the bolt and replaced he had to set the timing again. Maybe he fucked it up.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I don't actually have the tools to go that deep into the engine so to verify this im gonna have to send it to a shop again and Ford refuses to touch it.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You may not have driven it long enough to set the codes, but usually something like that pops up quickly.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Well the only codes I'm getting are the misfire codes for cyl 2 and 3 and p2282. I've ran a smoke test on every possible inlet for air pressure and come up empty 3 times.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I've also taken apart everything around the engine, turbo, intake, intake manifold, exhaust in hopes retightening things might bring a problem to light.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
The only things I can think of now is a worn valve or other internal issue which pisses me off to think I paid 8 grand for an engine that needs to be torn open again if that's the case.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You need to do a compression test and / or a leakdown test. Preferably a leakdown test if you think a valve is bad. That will tell you if there are any internal issues. Misfires can be really tricky things.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Alright, I know how to do a compression test. I'll look up how to do a leakdown test.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Leakdowns are more complex as they require compressed air. But a compression tester should also be able to tell you if something serious is wrong in any given cylinder

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Okay. What numbers should I be looking for? I've never tested a good engine so I'm not sure.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You're looking for consistency more than a number. All four cylinders should be within 10-15% of eachother.

From the FSM:

If one or more cylinders reads low, squirt approximately one tablespoon of engine oil meeting Ford specification on top of the pistons in the low-reading cylinders. Repeat the compression pressure check on these cylinders.

Compression Test - Interpreting Compression Readings

1. If compression improves considerably, piston rings are worn or damaged.
  2. If compression does not improve, valves are sticking or not seating correctly.
  3. If 2 adjacent cylinders indicate low compression pressures and squirting oil on each piston does not increase compression, the head gasket may be leaking between cylinders. Engine oil or coolant in cylinders could result from this condition. Use the Compression Pressure Limit Chart when checking cylinder compression so the lowest reading is within 75% of the highest reading.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So say you get results like:
1 2 3 4
100-95-98-100 <- OK

100-50-90-75 <- No good, cylinder 2 damaged.

100-50-50-100 <- potential head gasket leak between cylinders 2 & 3

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
compression is fine

did you try switching around the coil packs and seeing if the misfire changes cylinders?