Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tail of the Dragon - FiST Photos inside!!!

So who has done "Tail of the Dragon"?

This was my first time. I'm far from a seasoned track driver like some out there, but I feel I did well. Was absolutely worth the drive down. Really pushed my driving skills set to the max.

Fiesta did really well on these roads. My buddy was in a S550 and we were actually fairly well matched on the Dragon. On some of the more open roads, I didn't have a chance to really keep up, but it was great on the dragon.

Fiesta is tuned, Eibach springs, lightweight wheels and Continental ECS tires.

2,830 miles round trip (Went to Niagara Falls and Nashville on the way). Averaged 31.2 MPG

1. My S550 friend got clocked 64 in a 30. Only got a $54 warning. Was incredibly lucky. My Fiance was filming one run of mine (going easy since she couldnt hold on) and my V1 probably saved me from a ticket

2. Gen 6 camaro crashed while tailgaiting me at dusk. Luckily he seemed to be OK. He didnt stop when I waited for him. It was a down, then up, and then hard right. I accelerated easily out of the right, but I saw his lights go right, then hard left, and into the ditch.

3. So many beautiful roads. Just try to keep on your side of the lane

4. Lots of bikes. The dual sport and crotch rockets are flying. Its the Harleys that ride ON the yellow you got to watch out for

2245551 by Intervention302, on Flickr

2245552 by Intervention302, on Flickr

2245553 by Intervention302, on Flickr

2245554 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8739 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8826 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8834 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8853 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8866 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8872 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_8889 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_9065 by Intervention302, on Flickr

DSC_9047 by Intervention302, on Flickr

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Dekagrams with which tires again (don't remember from when you stated it on other threads)?

That setup looks sooo fine on your ride, especially in motion, mid corner/apex. [thumb]

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
Dekagrams with which tires again (don't remember from when you stated it on other threads)?

That setup looks sooo fine on your ride, especially in motion, mid corner/apex. [thumb]
Continental Extreme Contact Sports

Really happy with them overall

Cold temp psi 35 front 32 rear.

They did show some excessive wear on the middle bands of the tires from the repeated torture passes of the Dragon. But I imagine that is what it is with how hard I pushed these tires

They drove home totally fine 1100 miles and do still have good tread on them

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

They did show some excessive wear on the middle bands of the tires from the repeated torture passes of the Dragon. But I imagine that is what it is with how hard I pushed these tires

205/45-16s?

You are not going to keep those on the car much longer this season, correct?

It is only hitting like 45*F around here now, it has to be getting a bunch cooler up there currently, even though the ECSes are not as sensitive to those temps as the 200 tread wear and under gumballs. ;)

OP
I
Thread Starter #7
205/45-16s?

You are not going to keep those on the car much longer this season, correct?

It is only hitting like 45*F around here now, it has to be getting a bunch cooler up there currently, even though the ECSes are not as sensitive to those temps as the 200 tread wear and under gumballs. ;)
Yes 205/45/16. Everybody says it would look way stretched compared to the BFG SC2 that everybody runs. I love these ECS

I am a huge believer in snow tires. Mounted mine up tonight actually!

OP
I
Thread Starter #14
I honestly didn't use my brakes all "that" much. But they still got a bit hot on the downhill section

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I honestly didn't use my brakes all "that" much. But they still got a bit hot on the downhill section

Yeah when I was at the track I mainly coasted enough to the turn then went fast out and still somehow passed alot of people lol. Didn't use the brakes as much as others.

OP
I
Thread Starter #17
Beautiful shots. I would love to make that run. Until then Iā€™m relegated to the canyons in SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are probably just as nice!

My Fiesta did really really well on the tighter roads...

However there was a section about 4000-5000ft elevation with fairly steep inclines and long, open sweeping corners.

Man the Fiesta felt slow watching my buddy easily pull away from me haha

I just bought a set of the ECS in 205/45/16 as well for my team dynamics. Excited to push them a little before it gets wet here in Northern California. How have the mbeen so far?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The TOTD is great and would be greater if they banned the "hogs". Why would a HD rider find driving 20 MPH to keep his foot pegs and fat ole lady off the road fun? I only go on weekdays now. Too many runs ruined by HD drivers going slow and refuse to pull over....A_holes! Plenty of other nice roads in the area but the TOTD has no crossroads or driveways to be wary of. And yep, my wife's Mustang GT just walks away from the FiST. 460 HP is hard to keep up with but damn we have fun! Roads like the TOTD exist all over E.TN and W. NC and was the "driving" reason for the FiST/GT purchases. Wonderful pics, and a lifetime of memories for you I'm sure! Ford nailed it with the ST's, RS and GT's, I think the engineers had driven the TOTD before designing them. I know the FiST and GT are so at home on the Tail. Totally different cars with the same purpose......make people smile! [wrenchin]

joesiris

^^^^i agree with the you on all the other roads...i went up in July for the tail, stayed in the dragons rest cabins. yeah it was an awesome experience, but there were so many other options. for starters i began the whole trip in Walhalla SC drove up to Robbinsville via the moonshiners' 28 which is 91 miles of curvy rd. I did the Cherahola skyway, which was great cuz i started real early in the morning and there wasnt anyone else on it at all. the road to clingmans dome is fantastic, but my favorite rd i found was the road to (river rd) to baby falls and bald river falls. Its towards the end of the cherohola. the speed limit is low but its curvy and going in you are right on the tellico river, and i mean right on it...one second of loss of attention and you and your car are going swimming. at the end of it tho there are these 2 amazing waterfalls (i ate lunch at baby falls and did a lil hike at bald river) If you can find it, go there, its worth it.
tod2.jpg
IMG_2710.JPG