Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Best Choice RT660?

Soooo... I'm sure there are a few threads already on this but I didn't find them and would like to confirm as I am a noob....

I have an all stock 2019 Orange Spice FiST and need a new set of tires for AutoX this coming season for my HS class. Looking at the RT660 after some research as the best choice, but I have heard throwing on some 200 tread-wear tires on a stock suspension and wheel can be a hazard. Am I right to be hesitant or is it all bullshit?? The club I run at usually has a pretty small parking lot set up, and a banked speed way, nothing like the recent airport strip 'rollover' video where the guy was going at least 50mph (IMO). After running 5 events last year I haven't hit 3rd gear yet. Anyway I look to upgrade to Hawk HPS and some better fluid as well, not that it matters but just want to be open with my full setup and thought process. Any and all opinions are welcome what have you ran what would you do different?

Sooo.... 660, good or bad with my set up.

from what I've read, the risks of 200tw tires on a stock FiST are closer to "all bullshit" than not.

FiSTS have certainly rolled over in autox. Not sure how many confirmed cases, I can think of two. One was the rollover discussed in this forum a few months back, but that car had some other questionable shock / spring modifications.

Weigh that against however many hundreds of FiSTS that have been regularly autocrossed for the last 5 years.

As for what the best choice is on tires this year, seems like the jury is still out for a bit, because so few have driven seriously on this year's selections.

I ran 225/45R15 660s all last season in STH class. They are a good tire, despite the weird center rib wear thing. If you try hard enough, you can roll almost any car, even on flat asphalt.

If you have stock wheels, and want to stay in H Street, the 205/40R17 would be your best bet, but I think there are advantages in moving to a 16X7 wheel, where you could fit a 205/40R16. This setup would probably be lighter and would lower the car's CG a bit without compromising the suspension geometry at all. It would change your top speed in 2nd gear by around 2.5 mph, which I think is acceptable. You could also try the 215/45R16, but it might be a bit less responsive.

OP
FiSt’N
Thread Starter #4
I ran 225/45R15 660s all last season in STH class. They are a good tire, despite the weird center rib wear thing. If you try hard enough, you can roll almost any car, even on flat asphalt.

If you have stock wheels, and want to stay in H Street, the 205/40R17 would be your best bet, but I think there are advantages in moving to a 16X7 wheel, where you could fit a 205/40R16. This setup would probably be lighter and would lower the car's CG a bit without compromising the suspension geometry at all. It would change your top speed in 2nd gear by around 2.5 mph, which I think is acceptable. You could also try the 215/45R16, but it might be a bit less responsive.
Definitely have looked at going the 16x7 lighter weight route, better move IMO, but the Autox budget got a little smaller this year thanks to COVID. Still might make the 16x7 happen though.

How many miles/runs did the 660’s last you?

Definitely have looked at going the 16x7 lighter weight route, better move IMO, but the Autox budget got a little smaller this year thanks to COVID. Still might make the 16x7 happen though.

How many miles/runs did the 660’s last you?
I did 12 events with anywhere from 6-10 runs per event. I also left the tires on the car for a lot of the summer, getting a couple thousand miles that way because COVID had me working from home.
Here's a picture I just snapped today:
tires after season.jpg

OP
FiSt’N
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for info and pic much appreciated.
I did 12 events with anywhere from 6-10 runs per event. I also left the tires on the car for a lot of the summer, getting a couple thousand miles that way because COVID had me working from home.
View attachment 38855
I appreciate the photo and thank you for the info. Looks like 660’s it is.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
View attachment 38855
Definitely NO funky center strip separation on those! [twothumb] [raceflag]

Definitely NO funky center strip separation on those! [twothumb] [raceflag]
The weird thing is that I did have a bit of the center rib of two of the tires separate and strip away early on, but then the wear just evened out and things seem to be fine now. It was concerning at first, but they kept on working fine and I think they still have some life. I'm planning on ordering another set once I can be fairly confident they won't freeze en route.
It's 17°F right now.

Erick_V

The weird thing is that I did have a bit of the center rib of two of the tires separate and strip away early on, but then the wear just evened out and things seem to be fine now. It was concerning at first, but they kept on working fine and I think they still have some life. I'm planning on ordering another set once I can be fairly confident they won't freeze en route.
It's 17°F right now.
That's good to hear. I'm sure the fresher sets won't have the same issue. I'm very likely buying the 660's this summer to continue having fun in SMF, my RS-Pro's are at 4-5/32nds and its spin city even on the stock turbo unless they're hot making my first 2 runs useless. How did you like them on the street? I'm going to DD them and I do around 10k a year so wear isn't that big of a deal for me.

OP
FiSt’N
Thread Starter #10
Got my 660s today, I'll probably mount them sometime early May and drive them to late October. Plan on running 10 events and driving a few 1000 miles on them. I'll keep this thread updated with the pros and cons of summer / Autox driving.

Soooo... I'm sure there are a few threads already on this but I didn't find them and would like to confirm as I am a noob....

I have an all stock 2019 Orange Spice FiST and need a new set of tires for AutoX this coming season for my HS class. Looking at the RT660 after some research as the best choice, but I have heard throwing on some 200 tread-wear tires on a stock suspension and wheel can be a hazard. Am I right to be hesitant or is it all bullshit?? The club I run at usually has a pretty small parking lot set up, and a banked speed way, nothing like the recent airport strip 'rollover' video where the guy was going at least 50mph (IMO). After running 5 events last year I haven't hit 3rd gear yet. Anyway I look to upgrade to Hawk HPS and some better fluid as well, not that it matters but just want to be open with my full setup and thought process. Any and all opinions are welcome what have you ran what would you do different?

Sooo.... 660, good or bad with my set up.
I have the 215/40/17 setup and did my first test and tune on them a month ago. Still getting use to the grip of the car and the tires but they do have very good grip I would say. Outside of the Yokohama’s which are considerably more expensive in the 215 size I think these tires are it.

haste

1000 Post Club
What about the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs? I have the ZIIs and they have great grip. Anyone tried the ZIIIs yet?

CSM

1000 Post Club
What about the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs? I have the ZIIs and they have great grip. Anyone tried the ZIIIs yet?
I have ZIII on my fiesta and RT660 on my Scion.

ZIII are good tires. The maximal grip just isn't there compared to the RT660, but it wears a bit slower than the Falkens. If you want the fastest times available you want the RT660. If you want a little more wear/life out of the tires and aren't going for autocross class wins go with the ZIII

1616426482429.png

Last edited:
Has anyone done an A to B between the RT660 and a Toyo R888R?
The R888R is a 100tw tire so not legal in HS which requires 200tw.

On the RT660 - so far they are VERY similar to the RE71s, not sure if they like being HOT yet, as they are so good from run 1 I try to keep them on the cooler side esp. with dual drivers. Similar wear rate as the RE71s as well.

I am selling my 16x7 RPF1s if someone wants the lightest HS wheel setup.

The R888R is a 100tw tire so not legal in HS which requires 200tw.

On the RT660 - so far they are VERY similar to the RE71s, not sure if they like being HOT yet, as they are so good from run 1 I try to keep them on the cooler side esp. with dual drivers. Similar wear rate as the RE71s as well.

I am selling my 16x7 RPF1s if someone wants the lightest HS wheel setup.
They better like being hot, because I can sure as hell tell you they hate being cold.

They better like being hot, because I can sure as hell tell you they hate being cold.
Lol, yeah...

I should be more clear. The RE71s get greasy when they get hot (say over 150deg), I assume the RT660 will act similarly. The RIVALs LIKE being hot, and feel great at 180.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I raced in chilly temps this weekend and you definitely will need a co driver or tire blankets if you want RT660s to perform in ~50F or below

Last edited: