Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The dreaded clutch stick.

Hey guys. So I have been enjoying my new e40 tune from dizzy and have been driving the car around a decent bit and just a couple nights ago I felt my clutch stick about halfway letting off for just a split second and thought it was just a weird instance because it didn’t do it again for a couple days. Well it’s been doing it pretty consistently now not every time but most of the time and earlier it just stuck enough that I had to pull it back up with my foot for the first time . I’m assuming throw out bearing correct ? I wanna build the trans in all honesty so I was looking at the fidanza flywheel and spec clutch and mf factory lsd and obviously a slave cylinder assembly. I’m just looking for some advice as to intstalling them being that this will be the first time I do a clutch job. And also if anyone has any uprated new clutches / flywheels that they are willing to part with leave a comment. Because Ron’s about to have like 1800$ of my money 😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

As said, likely the slave. You might choose to do the master first, as it’s cheap and easy …. but it probably isn’t the problem.

Be careful about the aftermarket clutch assemblies. I considered it, and even my speed shop recommended to stay stock.

After some research, I found the internet full of horror stories about noise, drivability, longevity, and negative effects on the transmission. The FiST is one of the few cars that has a stock clutch that can reasonably handle double the OEM horsepower, so it makes sense to stick with stock most of the time.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are alot of " Stories" out there i read through them all. But there are also ALOT of people that have made the switch to SMF and have had no issues like myself. Most of the "Stories" that you see are due to installer error. I run the RTS dual friction setup and love it. No more DMF noise...pedal feel is equivalent to stock also. There are tradeoffs with everything you mod...so pick your poison. [driving]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are alot of " Stories" out there i read through them all. But there are also ALOT of people that have made the switch to SMF and have had no issues like myself. Most of the "Stories" that you see are due to installer error. I run the RTS dual friction setup and love it. No more DMF noise...pedal feel is equivalent to stock also. There are tradeoffs with everything you mod...so pick your poison. [driving]
Do you find that the revs drop quicker with the SMF?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes it did help some* response is better due to less rotational mass like the DMFs have. But you do get more vibration...its not alot but it is noticeable.
Vibrating while you’re slipping the clutch?
The reason I ask about this is because I don’t like how long it takes for the revs to drop when upshifting fast. I drove a buddy’s WRX and the revs fell so quickly, it hardly lost boost. I want my car to feel more like that.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
I’ll update y’all when I rip into the car. More than likely next weekend. I’ll try to post some pictures so I can maybe help someone else. And after I do it if anyone has any questions for me I’ll be more than glad to help!!!

A clutch that is slow to engage is ALWAYS a worn out clutch. Back in the 70's the saying was "gettin rubber in all 4 gears" and that means you could spin the tires with every shift. Except for my Dad, his 69 Catalina was an automatic but the the HO 428 it had would keep the tires spinning without any break until you hit 74 mph.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Vibrating while you’re slipping the clutch?
The reason I ask about this is because I don’t like how long it takes for the revs to drop when upshifting fast. I drove a buddy’s WRX and the revs fell so quickly, it hardly lost boost. I want my car to feel more like that.
No just Driveline vibrations* Fomoco used a DMF to quell some of the driveline vibrations. It not Bad by any means....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A clutch that is slow to engage is ALWAYS a worn out clutch. Back in the 70's the saying was "gettin rubber in all 4 gears" and that means you could spin the tires with every shift. Except for my Dad, his 69 Catalina was an automatic but the the HO 428 it had would keep the tires spinning without any break until you hit 74 mph.
The 5" wide, hard as rocks tires standard on those cars certainly helped out that smoke show. [wink]

My dad had a '66 389 (NOT a 'tri-power'/higher compression ratio, HO though [:(]) in front of a TH400 slushbox.