Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Stanced Fiesta ST Showcase Thread

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Let's see your stanced Fiesta ST.

More often than not (though I'm not saying EVERY time) people only consider form over function when "stancing" their car. We're talking about a car that was produced to be one of the best handling cars on the market and people are going to ruin that by putting it on overly stretched tires (which are a safety issue and inhibit performance) and a coil over set up that is dialed in exclusively for looks.

Edit: I understand that people have different tastes when it comes to the looks of their car and people should have options to make them aesthetically pleasing to them, but that doesn't mean you should do it at the detriment of performance on a performance car...

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
More often than not (though I'm not saying EVERY time) people only consider form over function when "stancing" their car. We're talking about a car that was produced to be one of the best handling cars on the market and people are going to ruin that by putting it on overly stretched tires (which are a safety issue and inhibit performance) and a coil over set up that is dialed in exclusively for looks.
I agree with your statement and this can be said for people that bag their trucks as well, it completely removes the utilitarian. You can produce a nice stance without stretching the tires. At least by having a dedicated section we can educate others do things more correctly.

The great thing about coilovers is you can dial it down for show, swap out the wheels, then raise it up and put on your daily drivers when you're done.[wrenchin]

dyn085

2000 Post Club

Edit: I understand that people have different tastes when it comes to the looks of their car and people should have options to make them aesthetically pleasing to them, but that doesn't mean you should do it at the detriment of performance on a performance car...
I understand what you're saying and appreciate an actual thought out response as opposed to the random hate that most would rather spew. You'd probably be surprised to know that there are a lot of things that I'm not a big fan of in the stance community as well, like dangerously stretched tires, but my main thought-difference is the fact that I can recognize that I'm not the one living with and spending money modifying the vehicles in question. I don't agree with half-assed suspension work and can't stand people that didn't do enough prior planning that end up destroying their fenders. Bacon fenders is not cool to me and only shows that someone didn't pay attention to details and rushed their build.

I agree with your statement and this can be said for people that bag their trucks as well, it completely removes the utilitarian. You can produce a nice stance without stretching the tires. At least by having a dedicated section we can educate others do things more correctly.

The great thing about coilovers is you can dial it down for show, swap out the wheels, then raise it up and put on your daily drivers when you're done.[wrenchin]
I definitely appreciate seeing the section and hope that it can grow with some respectable builds. I would like to comment on the bags though, as bags have come a long way. A properly set-up bagged truck can be just as, if not more, utilitarian than their stock-suspension brethren. It depends on the setup obviously, but even commercial big-rigs run bag setups for the adjustability that you get when replacing the static components. Surprisingly, bags are starting to move into the performance world as well, though not on 'strictly' race cars.

Anyways, one persons function is not the same as another. There is a misconception that form>function equals a car that is completely undriveable, which can be true in some situations I guess, but generally speaking those that go low do it within their vehicles normal-usage role. My car is a work car, for example, that only goes 16 miles each way over very smooth and generally well-taken-care-of pavement. Outside of the occasional Walmart run or car meet, it doesn't go to too many other places. My car can be significantly lower and still functional in my life than it would be for someone that uses it to cart their family around during the week, has high speed-bumps in their normal route, or maybe needs the ability to do travel some rough pavement.

In stark contrast, it would be worthless to me to focus on every aspect of the car with the mentality that I was building a racecar. While I may occasionally open it up and slideways a corner, I generally stay within the speed limit (+5) and my car may never see a day on the track while in my possession. Given my situation, it is more foolish for me to only focus on performance when the car will rarely be used in that manner. In that sense, it may be function>form but it's nearly a complete waste of money for me. What is the point of me spending money on a 2.4lb battery to drive to work and car shows?

There's only one type of person that buys this car and it's the person that can afford it and wants it. Regardless of why they want it, there are many better options out there for either price, performance, comfort, amenities, etc. You have to want this car and very few will just end up with it. While many people will not understand, not everyone bought this car strictly for the performance it can give and there's a difference between hating something that you don't understand versus allowing a community to exist that you don't care to be a part of.

Besides, there will be members that apply sticky-vents and plasti-dip and RS badges. To me, that's far worse than someone stancing their car and bringing positive attention to the community. There are many different types of 'stance' and so long as it's done safely...

*steps off soap-box, goes back to corner

I never understood everyone's displeasure with the "stance" "movement" - if done correctly, why would you NOT want a set of wheels that you spent your hard earned money on to fit well. I get that there are idiots out there that buy the widest and lowest offset wheels possible and then do whatever they can to make it work but if you've done your homework and get proper wheel and tire, it definitely makes the car look better.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I'm glad to see this forum open...like anything there are always those few people that take it to the extreme that ruin the reputation for others. I say once you start bending the fenders out to get the wheels to fit or stretching the tires to the point where the lips protrudes the tire bead more than 1/2 inch you've gone too far.

This is an example of going too far.

This is a great stance look for me.

i've heard of this stance movement, but have never seen one in real life, probably because in michigan the roads are so bad, you would hit 1 pot hole and then you have no more fenders, and when you have no more fenders you get a prius loaner car, and when you get a prius loaner car you get beat up by rednecks with diesel trucks. so dont stance your car in michigan or you'll get beat up! lol i crack myself up.

i love the way it looks, but i cant justify it where i live.

SICKESSS-ST

i've heard of this stance movement, but have never seen one in real life, probably because in michigan the roads are so bad, you would hit 1 pot hole and then you have no more fenders, and when you have no more fenders you get a prius loaner car, and when you get a prius loaner car you get beat up by rednecks with diesel trucks. so dont stance your car in michigan or you'll get beat up! lol i crack myself up.

i love the way it looks, but i cant justify it where i live.

Hahahahaha, lmao!!!!!

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I like seeing on other peoples cars but would never doit to mine. I hate the super neg camber tho. I will only go as far a mesh drop and that it.

HaveBlue83

Yes. I am all for more contact patch and properly fitted setup. Running an 8" wheel with a 235 on coils is fine. Running a 9" with a 215 tire on 6deg camber is pretty unfunctional. Dubs are slow and cant handle, so idgaf if they do it. Fords actually handle well, so I'm not so hot on stretching and poking on a car that craves apexes and auto-x.

Do what ya want tho.

I know that this isn't a Fiesta but if the Fiesta could get a wide body kit similar to this one, I think that it would look orgasmic when stanced. I don't mean slammed, but with a nice sensible stance.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I think we need to define the difference between "stanced" and "wheels that fit with minimal gap".

I'm fine with wheel fitment that fills the wheel wells both radially and side to side. As long as it isn't excessively low and excessively cambered and the car can still function without the tires rubbing inside the fender wells, that's great.

What I think of when I read "Stanced" is:

* super low ride height so that the wheel is at the fender lip level
* super wide wheels with narrow tires that are barely holding a bead
* insane levels of negative camber just to get the tire to fit, yet the edge of the wheel pokes out beyond the fender lip

Both cars above are fine IMO and are not "stanced".

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I think we need to define the difference between "stanced" and "wheels that fit with minimal gap".
There is another topic in this section for discussion, we'll need to keep this to pictures as to not violate the forums rules.