Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Things to look for on a Used ST deal?

Hello! I'm finally going to visit multiple Used Fiesta ST's next week to purchase,
what should I ask the previous owner and what should I look at on the car?
They are both 2014, with 69,000km (42k miles) and 109,000km (67k miles)

-What should I look out for?
-Are there any recalls? (2014 Canadian Spec)
-How do I know this fiesta wont throw a rod out the hood the next day?

Also, before I get comments saying "buy a new one before they run out". I cant. I'm 18, and don't have the money to buy a brand new car. Would love to though.
thanks in advance for the help, cant wait to finally try out the bean!

haste

1000 Post Club
Leaking axle seals, brake wear, the original heatshield around the turbo/exhaust manifold(most people don't bother to put it back on if it was modified). Recently found my turbo oil drain leaking but not from the gasket or o-ring. Car is at 80k miles.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't ask the owners very much....I'd just ask if I can bring it to get an independent inspection at a garage by a certified Mechanic and ask if I can also check the car out on the hoist while they are doing their work. If the owner declines to let you....Just turn around and walk away. As they most likely are hiding something. Where are you located? Maybe a member could accompany you and lend a experienced eye and Ear.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No such thing as a certified mechanic in America. Manufacturer certified maybe, but ASE certified is a scam to make money that crappy lube shops like jiffy lube endorse, but that's a story for a different day. Sorry for the rant I just hate ASE money hungry multiple choice joke.

Have it looked at by a person or shop you trust. Also run the VIN on it. If it has the original battery it's going to need a new battery soon. Look at the tires too.

You are in Canada so I guess check for rust.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• What issues, or repairs have they made? Are they aware of anything that should be addressed?
  • Ask if they have maintenance records. It's a big plus if you can get them. Most used car dealerships will not have the info, but you can use this as a bit of leverage during negotiation with a private sale. You may be able to see some of them through carfax.
  • Pull the dipstick and take a look at the oil at the bottom. Is it jet black?
  • Have they ever had the car oil sprayed (ie. rust protection)?
  • Have they ever raced, or autoXed the car? I'd suggest buying one that has not been raced, even if you're planning to.
  • Look along the fenders and along the pinchwelds at the bottom of the side for rust. There's a dogleg area in the bottom front of the rear wheel well.
  • Has the car ever overheated? Read up about the cracked head overheating issue. They made some changes for 2016 which reduce the chances of it happening.
  • Have they modified the car?
  • If they aren't the first owner, ask them if they can tell you anything about the previous owner, how they used it, issues, etc.
  • See if the side windows slide up and without noise and jerkiness.

OP
ZachRacing
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help, these are exactly what I was looking for! Hopefully all goes well and I can stop being a stalker and start being an Owner :)

TRANSMISSION WHINE!!!! (even a little bit...it will get worse. Just google Fiesta ST transmission whine...)
This is probably the most common and expensive issue on this car!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
If the seller says it hasn't been tuned, and you get a PPI done at a Ford dealer, my understanding is they can tell how many times a car has been started since the ECU has been reprogrammed or flashed. If this number is quite low, it is is an indication that a tune may have been recently removed and the car reflashed to stock.