Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking about getting an Accessport but not sure if ti's worth it.

Looking at Cobb's web site it appears that the Stage 3 maps are History. Most likely because they are not up to snuff with the EPA. What is listed is the Stage 1 and State 2 tunes with do have EPA certification. Frankly between the Mountune 3 pass radiator, the full induction kit and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch cat back I've probably picked up a horsepower gain close to the Stage 2 tune so what is the point of going to the Stage 2 tune. Once concern is that the factory tune is now yielding city mileage in the mid 30's and I do not think Cobb's Stage 2 tune will do that. Note, at one point Cobb did offer an "Economy" map but apparently that is now history. I also don't understand why they are saying they'll only be offering EPA certified tunes and they are still selling a high dollar catted downpipe that lacks any EPA certs and carries and off road only warning. I was always taught that when you butter both sides of a slice of bread you will always end up with slimy fingers.

So, I am interested in the thoughts of those in this forum. ID there any real need or purpose to purchasing an Accessport.

Last edited:
Looking at Cobb's web site it appears that the Stage 3 maps are History. Most likely because they are up to snuff with the EPA. What is listed is the Stage 1 and State 2 tunes with do have EPA certification. Frankly between the Mountune 3 pass radiator, the full induction kit and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch cat back I've probably picked up a horsepower gain close to the Stage 2 tune so what is the point of going to the Stage 2 tune. Once concern is that the factory tune is now yielding city mileage in the mid 30's and I do not think Cobb's Stage 2 tune will do that. Note, at one point Cobb did offer an "Economy" map but apparently that is now history. I also don't understand why they are saying they'll only be offering EPA certified tunes and they are still selling a high dollar catted downpipe that lacks any EPA certs and carries and off road only warning. I was always taught that when you butter both sides of a slice of bread you will always end up with slimy fingers.

So, I am interested in the thoughts of those in this forum. ID there any real need or purpose to purchasing an Accessport.
So 1. You don't have to use cobb maps with an accessport. But a lot of online tuners will use base cobb maps or other to produce an etune for you that will be better. 2. Even with cobb ots maps then benefits for smoother shifting andbride confortability and everything that that accessport provides as well as cataloging ability and extra gauges make it one of the best purchases, in my opinion, that you can make for our cars.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Looking at Cobb's web site it appears that the Stage 3 maps are History. Most likely because they are up to snuff with the EPA. What is listed is the Stage 1 and State 2 tunes with do have EPA certification. Frankly between the Mountune 3 pass radiator, the full induction kit and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch cat back I've probably picked up a horsepower gain close to the Stage 2 tune so what is the point of going to the Stage 2 tune. Once concern is that the factory tune is now yielding city mileage in the mid 30's and I do not think Cobb's Stage 2 tune will do that. Note, at one point Cobb did offer an "Economy" map but apparently that is now history. I also don't understand why they are saying they'll only be offering EPA certified tunes and they are still selling a high dollar catted downpipe that lacks any EPA certs and carries and off road only warning. I was always taught that when you butter both sides of a slice of bread you will always end up with slimy fingers.

Get one from Dizzy tune....Stratified or any other Reputable vendor with their own "Flash tune" on it....way way worth it. If you access to e85/ ethanol Get their e30 tune....Totally worth it. But if you only have 91 or 93 octane that is ok also. The vendors tunes are light years ahead of Cobbs tunes. Good luck! Enjoy! You will never go back once you load a different tune*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikey456

Looking at Cobb's web site it appears that the Stage 3 maps are History. Most likely because they are not up to snuff with the EPA. What is listed is the Stage 1 and State 2 tunes with do have EPA certification. Frankly between the Mountune 3 pass radiator, the full induction kit and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch cat back I've probably picked up a horsepower gain close to the Stage 2 tune so what is the point of going to the Stage 2 tune. Once concern is that the factory tune is now yielding city mileage in the mid 30's and I do not think Cobb's Stage 2 tune will do that. Note, at one point Cobb did offer an "Economy" map but apparently that is now history. I also don't understand why they are saying they'll only be offering EPA certified tunes and they are still selling a high dollar catted downpipe that lacks any EPA certs and carries and off road only warning. I was always taught that when you butter both sides of a slice of bread you will always end up with slimy fingers.

There is no need for the access port (IMO) , unless you feel unsatisfied with the stock power. That being said one benefit (besides power) of the AP is that it might reduce rev hang (if that bothers you) The AP tunes also increase torque levels so you might spin your wheels more often if u step on it. The benefit of the increase torque is better gas mileage because u can short shift through the gears.
At the end it, comes down to personal preference and what u want from the car.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
You may not make much more top-end HP, but removing the 1/2 gear boost limiter will really wake your car up.

A tune by DIzzy or Stratified will definitely change the character of the car too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiestig

I have not used and may never use an accessport. Unless I turbo swap one of my FiSTs of course.

I am lucky enough to have a 75yr old mapping genius in my family that made a piggyback for me and also what would equate closest to a pedalmax I suppose to remove all throttle lag. So without an accessport I have wayyyyyyyy more fun than I probably should.

This is not to say accessport is a bad thing. It's actually a great thing, especially if you enjoy all of the options, which if I recall are plenty. So if you want to have fun playing with your car knowing that you can put it back to stock anytime... there's no harm in that.(y)

ronmcdon

I did most of the bolt ons like st200 airbox, itg drop in filter, crossover pipe, cpe ic & piping first. also threw in upgraded radiator, oil cooler, 180 thermostat but don't think that gives me extra power. did not notice any meaningful gains after all bolt-ons in terms of power or torque.

added in 1 step colder plugs, cat-back (don't think that gets me more power w stock turbo), got cobb ots stage 2 tune with a used Access Port and noticed increase in power and more dramatic increase in torque (and torque steer probably). personally not a huge fan of the cobb tune that much, but interested in going with tune plus for a custom tune.

I am most likely in the minority, but between no tune at all and cobb stage 2 tune, I like the stock tune more as I usually prefer cars with less or equal torque to power figures. nonetheless going to try out a custom tune first next month when I can afford the time to datalog or whatever the process is called.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I can say getting an AP and a tune wakes the car up and makes it even more fun. After doing that going back to stock was boring for me. I now have a bigger turbo S280 and love it. I love it more than the Hybrid because my bottom end acts stock at a quarter throttle but when I lay into it it gets up and goes like a rocket. The result is the car flies but I still get great gas mileage when I want too.
So ya I am in the camp that its cheap to get a AP and a tune to check out the difference. I would say definitely get a better intercooler to be able to maintain boost in warmer weather as the stock intercooler will heat soak.
You do not know what your missing till you try it. I would also recommend Dizzy or Tuneplus. I would say getting a setup from Mountune used to be the way to get a great deal on a open AP with an intercooler and a few other things when Randy was still there doing the Tunes. I am not sure whats going on now.

OP
scooter123
Thread Starter #11
A year ago my plan was to get an Accessport with the Mountune MR230 tune. All indicators was that this tune produced an actual WHP of 225 hp or a bit more. It also featured a really sweet torque curve. That tune is now history. As is the Cobb Stage 3 which was in some ways the MR230 light. Mountune still offers their MR215 tune as part of a package but I already have that package installed on the car so I really don't need everything included in the package.

Note, in my initial post I stated I have the FULL induction package. https://www.mountuneusa.com/Induction-System-Fiesta-St-2014-2015-p/2364-is-aa.htm and this radiator https://www.mountuneusa.com/Fiesta-St-Triple-Pass-Radiator-p/mp2521-12020-aa.htm plus the Mountune RMM and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch catback. Don't have an aftermarket Cat because many many posts indicate that aftermarket DP's don't provide any benefit to this engine running the factory turbo. As for what I'm looking for, I do not need any more power in 1st or 2nd but would like to see more go in 3rd. Also do not want to go to a bigger turbo, I bought this car to be a keeper and a larger capacity turbo on a cast piston engine will not last for 200,000 miles.

Mikey456

A year ago my plan was to get an Accessport with the Mountune MR230 tune. All indicators was that this tune produced an actual WHP of 225 hp or a bit more. It also featured a really sweet torque curve. That tune is now history. As is the Cobb Stage 3 which was in some ways the MR230 light. Mountune still offers their MR215 tune as part of a package but I already have that package installed on the car so I really don't need everything included in the package.

Note, in my initial post I stated I have the FULL induction package. https://www.mountuneusa.com/Induction-System-Fiesta-St-2014-2015-p/2364-is-aa.htm and this radiator https://www.mountuneusa.com/Fiesta-St-Triple-Pass-Radiator-p/mp2521-12020-aa.htm plus the Mountune RMM and the Cobb 2 1/2 inch catback. Don't have an aftermarket Cat because many many posts indicate that aftermarket DP's don't provide any benefit to this engine running the factory turbo. As for what I'm looking for, I do not need any more power in 1st or 2nd but would like to see more go in 3rd. Also do not want to go to a bigger turbo, I bought this car to be a keeper and a larger capacity turbo on a cast piston engine will not last for 200,000 miles.
If you want to go with a new Accessport, I would buy one of the package deals that includes a free tune. Go to the tuners website and check out the options they present you. You can check or request 2nd gear boost limiting as an option. The tuner should be able to accommodate you.

Another option is having the tuner set the traction control at a higher level, but that is more tricky because you need to figure out how much slip you want and i would recommend watching Jeff’s YouTube clip about how that works.

Either way I would recommend one step colder spark plugs (if recommended by the tuner) and a bigger intercooler (if you live in hot climate or go to the track)

Mikey456

Here the option on one tuners website:

2nd Gear Torque Limit: Want more traction in 2nd gear? We can limit the torque for you here so that you don't burn through your tires!

But don’t limit yourself and other tuners may offer the same thing but not written in their website. Do your research and shop around? How much boost are you comfortable with running? Fortunately you’re at the right place where folks can help you answer those questions.

I have an AP for the GT4 where I pushed the map and disconnected it. For the FiST though, I keep it plugged in. Beyond the tune, which others have covered, I appreciate the additional monitoring it provides through the gauges interface. Having the boost gauge, oil life gauge, coolant temp, and oil temp (while estimated) is helpful.

There are some additional features as well. Valet mode, flat foot shift, etc... Things I won't use but might be of value for some.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
With the AP you can access the access tuner software after taking a 150 dollar class. Lets you tune the car yourself.
If I ever took such a class I would immediately turn into the Will Ferrell Anchor Guy meme...well that escalated quickly...