Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking about making a FiST my daily

Cazt51

Live in Michigan and currently looking for a good daily that I can of course have fun in and most likely mod :). Have been lurking the forum to get a general idea of what I’m looking for and dealing with it comes to what to look for and such. Big question is how many of you daily in winter conditions and how does it do? I’m assuming running winter tires and I’ll be alright. I am in Michigan so winter is real here haha. Look forward into seeing where I can locate one of my liking. Thanks all!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4

The blue, basically factory FiST (it might have an O'Neil skid plate mounted), was equipped with last gen General Altimax Arctic winter tires, not even the very best choice for all winter conditions, so imagine what it could do with Nokian Hakka R2s/R3s, or the like on it. [wink] [thumb]

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
My wife dailies the ST. We run 185/60R15 Yokohama IceGuards on Motegi MR116s all round in winter. Does great. Even the last two weeks which were very winter (and still are, though it's supposed to get to 42 degrees today.)

pixelzombie

I'm in Chicago and I had snow tires last year when I first got the car. They really make this car practical for areas that get a lot of snow. The snow tires have been in the garage since last spring as i really got spoiled by the Neo Gen tires.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
This car is fine in the snow. I still have some all seasons on them. Obviously snow tires would be better, but if you're not in a rush to get anywhere, watching your speed, and letting the car engine brake will get you there safe with less than ideal tires.

SPhilli911

The blue, basically factory FiST (it might have an O'Neil skid plate mounted), was equipped with last gen General Altimax Arctic winter tires, not even the very best choice for all winter conditions, so imagine what it could do with Nokian Hakka R2s/R3s, or the like on it. [wink] [thumb]
I love this video. Wish I could get a set of those OZ wheels, too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm in Chicago and I had snow tires last year when I first got the car. They really make this car practical for areas that get a lot of snow. The snow tires have been in the garage since last spring as i really got spoiled by the Neo Gen tires.
I am trying to make it through this winter on the Neo Gens as well, but it seems I picked THE most WRONG winter to do that. [:(]

In my case, it was not really the (MUCH, MUCH) better handling of the Nittos which motivated me to not install the 195/60-15 Altimax Arctic 12s, but a desire to try and 'save' their tread depth/tread block sharp 'edges' for my other use for them, driving down gravel rally stage roads, while volunteering on ARA events held in the other 3 seasons.

Lately, before this current polar vortex trend hit, our winters would have just burned up the Arctic 12s on relatively warm, VERY dry roads. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I love this video. Wish I could get a set of those OZ wheels, too.
IF you convert to 5 lug hubs, they are still available (they are running them on ACP's FiST in this vid, and on the R2, AND new R4 cars). [thumb]

But, as you know, (the old, now defunct, R1 class, spec), 4x108 ones are now ancient history. [:(]

Last edited:

pixelzombie

What tires are on the rally car?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What tires are on the rally car?
My guess would be one of the very narrow, probably NOT studded Michelin snow variety rally tires.
I cannot get the magnifier to work on youtube videos in order to blow it up enough to see what they are actually using on ACP's car. [:(]

As most land owners in the USA who allow the ARA, (or anyone for that matter), to run their events on their land absolutely PROHIBIT metal in the tires in order to help prevent damage to the fire roads/gravel roads in general, or at least even more damage/ruts/etc., than the studless buzz saws will. [wink]

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
There is one shot where you can read Max Arctic on the sidewall. That would seem to correspond to a General Altimax Arctic, despite the BF Goodrich decals on the rally car.

OP
C

Cazt51

Thread Starter #12
Well think I have decided on a few options. Pretty sure I’m going through with one. Been kind of hard to find one I like that isn’t black haha. Already have a black car which is a pain to keep clean. Especially in Michigan. Can’t wait hopefully go through with deal and get to start modding.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is one shot where you can read Max Arctic on the sidewall. That would seem to correspond to a General Altimax Arctic, despite the BF Goodrich decals on the rally car.
That very well could be, since I remember way back in the SCCA Pro Rally days, at the Maine Forest WINTER Pro Rally, most competitors chose the Nokian Hakka flavor of that given year (forgot which number it was back then, maybe Hakka 1s/C2s, or 2s??) OVER any non-studded Michelin snow rally tire, since the consensus was that they actually gave more bite than the no spike Michelins (since studs were verboten on the stages, as previously stated above).