Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

This explains a lot. Spark plug boot issue

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I have a little bit of misfire, so I decided to take a look at the spark plugs and discovered one of the boots is different from the other three. In the picture it is of course upside down.

The part numbers are exactly the same. The only difference that I can see is the beveling at the bottom where the spark plug enters and the conductor spring doesn't go into the hole all the way. And the coil doesn't want to sit flush like the other tree do. I have to push on it a little bit to bolt it down. Has anybody ever seen this?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Is the spring inside either of them?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes the spring is there. I just took them off to get a look and some pictures. The spring doesn't go into the hole correctly because if you look at that one on the left it has a little bit of a ridge down inside preventing the spring from touching the top firmly.

It is under warranty, but I don't want the hassle of having to take the whole damn car in there and having to leave it all day for them just to look at it and say oh yeah okay we replaced it. I would love to be able to just walk in with all four of them to say hey here's the bad one check this out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I did not notice that difference (but then I did not look at the ends either) when I last changed plugs out.

But yes, ONE of my boot/coil assemblies did not snap onto the plug contact, and was very hard to bolt down into the cam cover, to the point that I was afraid there would be a misfire in that cylinder.

I did not pay too much attention to it though, since it seems NO ONE else on here has ever mentioned this as a problem when changing out plugs, only that they could not get a regular socket down into the plug well.

I will check this out next plug change go-round. [wink]

Did you buy this car new, or CPO/used/etc.?
Is this the first time you've tried to change out the plugs?

the duke

When I changed my plugs I don't recall ever having issues with the assemblies not snapping or anything. I swapped plugs sometime last year and coincidentally have a 4-pack of plugs to swap in at the start of the season (Provided we ever run on track again this year).

For reference my car is a mid 2014 production year, however I don't have a revised cluster.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
OMG it has a plastic center. It's not all rubber at the bottom like the other three . When you see that flat bottom in the pic, that is a plastic sleeve!!!

Okay, I just remove the plastic sleeve and now it looks just like the other boot: beveled at the very bottom of it as you see in this picture.

No, that small plastic tip is not part of the plastic tube. As you can see in the picture, it has the two barbs.

EDIT:
holy freaking sheet! You know what it is? It's the piece that goes inside of the spark plug socket. A cheap one evidently....

The problem is this, Was that there all the time or did I just introduce it today? Damn, today, so I still have an idling misfire issue.

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Hmm. Let me take a look at my old stockers. Havent had any issues with my ngk replacements

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Did you buy this car new, or CPO/used/etc.?
Is this the first time you've tried to change out the plugs?
New 2019 w/185 miles when I bought it last May, 5,555 yesterday.
On this car, yes. I have a Mazda 5 w2.3 and the coils are a very similar setup.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
New 2019 w/185 miles when I bought it last May, 5,555 yesterday.
On this car, yes. I have a Mazda 5 w2.3 and the coils are a very similar setup.
Yeah, I meant on this car, and if you had trouble with this boot the first time you tried, if you ever attempted a plug chance before. [wink]

I was NOT implying you were a novice or anything. LOL