Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Throttle body questions

My mechanic recommended servicing the throttle body on my 2016 FiST: "throttle body and MAF $99.95."

My questions are, is this something I can do myself? Is it just replacing the unit, or does it need to be tuned? Also, what's a throttle body spacer and what does that get me in terms of performance. Thanks in advance for the advice.

So first of, our (North American) cars don't have a maf sensor so there is nothing to service on that part, but I understand that's only the title of the "service pack". About the throttle body, it does not seem to be a problematic part that needs cleaning. I don't say it can't be the case, but it's not something that you will see mentioned frequently on this forum.

What is your mileage?

To be honest, it looks to me that your mechanic is trying to make a quick easy bucks on you. I would ask him what he exactly do on this service and why he thinks it's needed.

Throttle body space won't do anything and you don't need one. The only time you might is if you go for a single port fuel injection kit on which the injector is installed on a plate that goes between the TB and the manifold. But you don't nee this unless you have a bigger turbo and have maxed out the stock fuel system. And even then, there's other options.

Last edited:
OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #3
The car has 103,500 miles. I'm presently watching a video on how to install both a throttle body and intake manifold spacer. They claim modest gains in the low to mid-RPM range. What I'm hearing you say is that there are better upgrades to do first before you mess with these spacers.

I just went through all this a few months back..

I did it myself, just bought some throttle body cleaner. It was hard but I removed the whole hard pipe completely. Gotta remove the vacuum connecter above the throttle body, can't miss it, it's a right angle connector, just squeeze and pull and move out the way to gain access. Then loosen the upper hose clamp on the short rubber hose at the throttle body. Then pull the sound symposia hard plastic pipe (can't remember exactly how it's connected), then the lower bolt connecting it to the gearbox, the lower hose clamp and the lower sensor plug and carefully not to snap anything and push it downwards out the bottom.

Then I put the extension hose onto the nozzle of the spray can and pushed the can downwards below the throttle body and pointed the extension pipe up into the throttle body and keeping the can in an upright position i sprayed the entire can up into it while moving the pipe around to get the cleaner into every area as much as possible.

Then after i let it dry for about 5 minutes I sprayed some WD-40 up there to lube the moving parts and put it back together.

That alone made a huge difference to throttle response and made the engine a lot more free revving and more power.

With the MAF sensor, just unplug the sensor plug, carefully remove the torx screws and remove the sensor and give it a good spray all over the end of the sensor, especially the the wire you can see.. let it dry in a clean dry place for 5 minutes and put it back in.

That alone made a good difference in throttle response for mine.

Mine hadn't had either done in over 95000km..

Hope this helps!

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
The car has 103,500 miles. I'm presently watching a video on how to install both a throttle body and intake manifold spacer. They claim modest gains in the low to mid-RPM range. What I'm hearing you say is that there are better upgrades to do first before you mess with these spacers.
If you are interested I have a Boomba intake spacer and throttle body spacer for sale.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I plan to clean my throttle body in the spring when I install single port aux fuel. It's not likely a part to give you trouble though TBH. As alk mentioned, there's no reason to really do it unless your mechanic can point to a specific problem that it's causing. He's probably just trying to get some easy $ from you.