Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TIme to Pick New Tires

One winter blows through, I need to decide on new tires. Planning on sticking with stock wheels and sizes to avoid that expense. I think I have narrowed it down to:

- Firestone Indy 500 Summer
- General GMAX-AS-05 All Seasons
- Pilot Sport A/S

The Pilot is way out of line in price, but it is a know commodity to me. I really think it is a toss-up between the Firestone and General. They both carry similar ratings (on TireRack) on wet/dry pavement. Similar noise and ride ratings too.

The General is the lightest.

I will likely do a couple of track days this summer.

Anyone with thoughts on the subject?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Those Indy 500 seem like crowd faves.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Firestone...that's what I'm gonna roll with in the summer....seems the census is that they are a great bargain for performance and handling vs. The stock Bridgestones!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I’d get another set of track wheels and tires. None of those gonna be that great and they will likely be pretty trashed after few track events.

OP
kenweise
Thread Starter #5
I’d get another set of track wheels and tires. None of those gonna be that great and they will likely be pretty trashed after few track events.
Unfortunately, that won't pass the wife test.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I’d step up to Dunlop z3 or azenis then. They are good performing while holding up well on streets. All seasons and lower performance summer tires are gonna get greasy fast under track conditions etc. I always tend to daily extreme performance tires in the good months.

Pilot sport 3/4's are the favourites in the UK

Im about to switch to Nankang NS2-R (cheap semi slick)

If you plan on doing track days I'd avoid the G-Max. I'm on my second set and they're just too soft for auto-x and just shred and deflect a lot. For hard acceleration, they're almost always slipping. Great A/S for winter driving though, they seem to perform better when it's below 50 deg out.

Do you have winter tires? If yes, then ignore the 3 season tires. They'll be utter crap for track. If wife issues prevent you from getting dedicated track tires/wheels, them just get some RT615K+.

OP
kenweise
Thread Starter #10
Thanks all. My track usage will be sparce. Maybe 2-3 track days this year. No autocross or anything too hard on the car.

OP
kenweise
Thread Starter #12
Firestones are on the rims. Now I just need to wait for the temperature to go up to out them on the car.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

One winter blows through, I need to decide on new tires. Planning on sticking with stock wheels and sizes to avoid that expense. I think I have narrowed it down to:

- Firestone Indy 500 Summer
- General GMAX-AS-05 All Seasons
- Pilot Sport A/S

The Pilot is way out of line in price, but it is a know commodity to me. I really think it is a toss-up between the Firestone and General. They both carry similar ratings (on TireRack) on wet/dry pavement. Similar noise and ride ratings too.

The General is the lightest.

I will likely do a couple of track days this summer.

Anyone with thoughts on the subject?
My car is a DD and I bought tires with that mostly in mind. I have the pilot sport As 3 plus aks I chose them more based on treadwear and pretty good performance for an all season.

In the twisties I don't see too much of a loss in performance, the tires definitely feel different than the stock potenzas bit they aren't bad at all. The rain grip is great and I do like that a lot about them.

I think the firehawk indy 500 would be a good bet if you're more performance oriented and like you said wanna do a track day in the future. You will have to replace them a bit sooner but the grip is almost stock pitenza levels from what I hear, I chose the pilots due to the car being used to commute more often than for fun so these were more practical.

One thing I forgot to mention is road noise definitely improved compared to stock, and also wherever you get them installed make sure you check the pressure after.i specified the car needed 39f/36r yet they filled all 4 to over 40 and I was wondering why my steering felt off the first few days.