Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire time suggestions please 304whp car

jeff

2000 Post Club
If and only if you have actually experienced said tires on your own car I'd really appreciate some recommendations. I have a list of options in mind for my next tire and I will be purchasing some soon but the list is a year old and I realize there are more options out there since I last did research and also more experience too. I'm a bit out of the Fiesta loop lately as I've been focusing on building my Hondas but I'm still driving and loving my car. In fact a new modded turbo mustang tried to pass me the other day but it didn't happen and he seemed very upset about that. I digress...back to tires.

I've had a set of Federal 595RSR installed for the last 3 years or so, they were good for 20k but are losing their grip and treadwear is getting close to red zone. So it's time. My car has dyno'd at 304hp/337tq to the wheels on my current setup and I need something sticky that will help put the power down. The Federals were fantastic for this and I could end up with another set but I'm exploring my options. Aside from grip my main concern is the widest tread width possible. Keep in mind tread width is different from section width and if you don't know the difference please don't suggest a tire for me.

Size I'm looking at is 215/40/17. I'd love a 225 but last time I researched (a year ago) all there was in that size was Yoko S Driver and just no to that. So 215/40 will probably be what I end up with.

OK I think I've said enough thank you for reading and suggesting, I look forward to some great reading.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The 595s handle the power better than Indy’s in my experience. I’m not a huge fan of Federal tires on the track but I’ll be switching back from Indy’s to 595s for street use. The hybrid just has too much torque for anything over 200tw. RT615K+ is a great tire for street but I’m not sure you’ll get 20k out of them and the 595 in 215 is about 1/2” wider. They’re quiet though and grip is fantastic. For me, it’s the 595 or RT615K+ in 215/40/17 for street use. There are no 225s in 17” that’ll fit without cutting fenders.

As with most tires, it depends what you want and what you’re willing to pay.

Personally I’m a fan of my Kumho Ecsta PS31s. Probably lacking a bit if you’re looking for an outright performance tire, but as summer street rubber they’ve been phenomenal while surprising me in the canyons (compared to a Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+). I don’t really have experience with with anything more aggressive than the afore mentioned Firehawks though.

CSM

1000 Post Club
If I remember correctly you don't put a ton of miles on your car. If that is still the case, I would recommend these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=14WR7Z3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Absolutely, hands down, favorite summer tire I have run thus far. I will probably end up getting 10-12k out of them.
This X 1000. I've ran the previous version (ZII Star Spec) in 215/40/17 and I'm on my second set of ZIII, first set was 215/40/17 and second is 225/45/16 primarily for autox use.

They are great tires for summer and dont wear as fast as other 200TW tires (like my RT660s or RE71Rs). If you dont abuse them, you will get decent mileage, I think I got 15-20k out of my first set of ZIII

I would not get the RT660 in that size due to fast wear. Same with A052, these are both competition tires aimed specifically for Autocross. I feel that ZIII lacks some of the performance of these two tires in exchange for better wear characteristics.

615K+ does not have the same grip level as any of these tires.

We make similar power and the ZIII are perfect when up to temp, only really slips in 1st.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
If I remember correctly you don't put a ton of miles on your car. If that is still the case, I would recommend these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=14WR7Z3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Absolutely, hands down, favorite summer tire I have run thus far. I will probably end up getting 10-12k out of them.
I also would recommend these! Everyone else summed them up pretty good but I have them on my car now and couldn't be happier! Definitely more grip over my previous tires (granted they were 205 instead of 215)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I also would recommend these! Everyone else summed them up pretty good but I have them on my car now and couldn't be happier! Definitely more grip over my previous tires (granted they were 205 instead of 215)
How do they do in the rain?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club

Not as good as RE71R in wet but one of the better 200TW tires out there. I've driven in awful conditions and as long as you're not driving like an asshole you'll be fine.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

One of the biggest reasons that I changed from my dying old tires is due to the fact I kept slipping around and didn't have any confidence in the wet. These tires make rain driving a breeze. Accelerating on a damp road is easy enough and hitting puddles doesn't make my heart skip a beat anymore. Definitely happy with the wet performance of these. Granted, the tires are only about 500 miles old, so still basically all the tread on them.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had a set of Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my car (making ~300whp), I really liked them however they are now out of production. I switched to a thinner wheel and went back to the stock tire size and purchased some Firestone Indy 500s, I love these tires. I ran them on my stock wheels and felt they were a great replacement for the stock Bridgestone tires. I still feel they are more than adequate for daily driving, even at this power level. The only issue is that they are not offered in 215/40/17, which is why I purchased the RT615K+s. I am unsure of the tread width on the RT615K+, I can measure when I get home, but I doubt they are as wide as other more expensive options.

I want to try the RT660s for my other wider wheels, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No, I have not run them myself, but I am considering them if I hold onto my 17x8 1.2s, as they are the widest tread width 215/40-17s anywhere (except for the 50 tread wear Kumho Ecsta V700s); Nankang AR-1s.

Yup, tread wear, and rain performance are pure garbage, and they will be MUCH worse in standing water (but possibly better on just a wet surface) than ANY of the other 100/200 tread wear stickies out there, but they will handle anything your big hybrid snail can throw at them in the dry.

Granted, they are only 0.3" wider in tread width than the D3s everyone is (rightfully, and justifiably) ranting about, but you did ask for the 'widest tread width'. [wink]

I would have said Nankang's 200 tread wear, much more treaded/grooved NS-2Rs, which also run wide in tread width per given size, as compared to other 200 tread wear donuts, but they don't make a 215/40-17 currently. [:(]

CSM

1000 Post Club
I had a set of Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my car (making ~300whp), I really liked them however they are now out of production. I switched to a thinner wheel and went back to the stock tire size and purchased some Firestone Indy 500s, I love these tires. I ran them on my stock wheels and felt they were a great replacement for the stock Bridgestone tires. I still feel they are more than adequate for daily driving, even at this power level. The only issue is that they are not offered in 215/40/17, which is why I purchased the RT615K+s. I am unsure of the tread width on the RT615K+, I can measure when I get home, but I doubt they are as wide as other more expensive options.

I want to try the RT660s for my other wider wheels, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
Having ran both the Indy 500 and the ZIII on my car, I can tell you that ZIII is in a completely different class of grip.

I have RT660 on my FRS right now. I can tell you, it is a comp tire first. They wear incredibly fast. I see the RT615K+ as a street tire that can do occasional autox, I see RT660 as an autocross comp tire first that is tolerable on the street

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Having ran both the Indy 500 and the ZIII on my car, I can tell you that ZIII is in a completely different class of grip.
I agree with you, I was just saying for a good daily tire the firestone is a good choice. However it doesn't come in the size OP is requesting so it is out.

I have RT660 on my FRS right now. I can tell you, it is a comp tire first. They wear incredibly fast. I see the RT615K+ as a street tire that can do occasional autox, I see RT660 as an autocross comp tire first that is tolerable on the street
Good thing my other wheels are my track wheels... not for daily driving. I think the RT615+ on the car have one or two track days left in them. I'll kill them before I buy RT660s

Woods247

2000 Post Club

Have you run the RT615K+ in 215 for a season on track or on the street?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Have you run the RT615K+ in 215 for a season on track or on the street?
I ran the old Azenis 215, 615, and 615K in my C-Stock Autocross Miata days, but not the 615K+. I remember the 615 and 615k being more consistent a tire than the 215s, especially with regards to temp management and not overheating. It was a pretty predictable tire, easy to drive.

I admit I haven't ran the 615K+ on any car including my Fiesta. I have heard they are actually a pretty decent tire for street and occasional track due to its ability to handle heat fairly well, seems they dont grease up after a few hot laps like the RT660 or RE71R. I admit this is just from conversations w/ locals.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I agree with you, I was just saying for a good daily tire the firestone is a good choice. However it doesn't come in the size OP is requesting so it is out.

Good thing my other wheels are my track wheels... not for daily driving. I think the RT615+ on the car have one or two track days left in them. I'll kill them before I buy RT660s
I think you are aware of it but just remember a lot of people are having issues with RT660 tread separation on the center block when used strictly at track/autox only (w/ no street driving)

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think you are aware of it but just remember a lot of people are having issues with RT660 tread separation on the center block when used strictly at track/autox only (w/ no street driving)
Yes, if they are not lightly heat cycled before the first track day they tend to chunk.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Firestone Indy 500s...been rolling them 2 summers now. Great tire...read the reviews!
Thanks man but no 215 size there...

The 595s handle the power better than Indy’s in my experience. I’m not a huge fan of Federal tires on the track but I’ll be switching back from Indy’s to 595s for street use. The hybrid just has too much torque for anything over 200tw. RT615K+ is a great tire for street but I’m not sure you’ll get 20k out of them and the 595 in 215 is about 1/2” wider. They’re quiet though and grip is fantastic. For me, it’s the 595 or RT615K+ in 215/40/17 for street use. There are no 225s in 17” that’ll fit without cutting fenders.
This is really good. I'm very seriously thinking of getting another set of Federals.

Yokohama S Drive makes a 225/35/17 that would fit, I've researched it extensively. They are beautiful looking tires and you can still find them. Performance is crap though.

Personally I’m a fan of my Kumho Ecsta PS31s. Probably lacking a bit if you’re looking for an outright performance tire, but as summer street rubber they’ve been phenomenal while surprising me in the canyons (compared to a Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+). I don’t really have experience with with anything more aggressive than the afore mentioned Firehawks though.
Thanks....I need more tread width than those offer but they sure look good.

Dunlop Direzza ZIII

I put about 5000 per year on my car...good recommendation....section width is so puny though my rims would stick out too far on those.

I had a set of Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my car (making ~300whp), I really liked them however...
Thank you...those look epic but again only 7.2" tread width I'm just skeptical...

I'm pretty sure those are semi-slick track only tires.

:unsure:

Anyone have experience with Nitto Neo Gens? They can still be found and I remember back in the day they were the bomb.

Aside from stickiness my main priority is a decent section and tread width. I have 17x8 wheels so I need a fatter tire. Longevity isn't as much of a concern.

I appreciate all the ideas. Here's my data so far:

TIRE - PRICE - WEIGHT - SECTION WIDTH - TREAD WIDTH
Federal 595RSR - $103 - 22lb - 8.7" - 7.5"
Nitto Neo Geo - $105 - 20.9lb - 8.86" - ??
Falken Azenis RT660 - $150 - 22lb - 8.7" - 7.9"
Dunlop Direzza ZIII - $164 - 20lb - 8.1" - 7.8"
Falken RTK 615+ - $115 - 20lb - 8.7" - 7.2"
Kumho Ecsta PS31 - $88 - 19lb - 8.6" - 7.2"

CSM

1000 Post Club
If longevity is not a concern, give the RT660s a go. They are hands down the grippiest tire I've owned/competed on/pushed a car hard on (haven't ran RE71R)