Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

To jack or to ramp...

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I use quickjacks but regular jack/jackstands work. I don't like ramps personally. Also when doing fluid changes, I like to be able to drop the car to flat/level while it's draining which isn't doable with ramps.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I use quickjacks but regular jack/jackstands work. I don't like ramps personally. Also when doing fluid changes, I like to be able to drop the car to flat/level while it's draining which isn't doable with ramps.
The ramp manufacturers have never ever made the front 'stops' tall enough for my liking, and to quell my paranoia of driving right off of the front and having the ramp destroy my sills/sill extensions.

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The ramp manufacturers have never ever make the front 'stops' tall enough for my liking, and to quell my paranoia of driving right off of the front and having the ramp destroy my sills/sill extensions.
I was about to post that very same reason because, well, I did it. Drove right off the ends. It was hard for me to gauge the exact amount of throttle to get up them. I kept rolling back down or the ramps would just slide out from under me. So frustrating. So of course, sent it! Lol. And have been driving around with busted side skirts for years. Now I have a Quick jack 5000 and stands will never look back!

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
The ramp manufacturers have never ever make the front 'stops' tall enough for my liking, and to quell my paranoia of driving right off of the front and having the ramp destroy my sills/sill extensions.
This is exactly what terrifies me the most about ramps! I could just never get myself to buy them. The ease of use has always been so alluring tho....

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The ramp manufacturers have never ever made the front 'stops' tall enough for my liking, and to quell my paranoia of driving right off of the front and having the ramp destroy my sills/sill extensions.
I have a set of Race Ramps and they’re probably the safest from that standpoint but I still prefer jack stands.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ramps have their places for certain things. Other things jack and stands. When I did my Damond motorsports passenger side engine mount I used Ramps because did not need to remove wheels. Only problem with ramps is fixed height. So Jack and stands in those cases are better. As far as drivng up and on ramps all it takes is a little ease on the gas some gas not to much :LOL:

haste

1000 Post Club
Maybe I have magical skills probably not, but I have been using ramps before I could even legally drive a car. Never had a problem.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Same here. I've honestly never even thought about driving off the front of them.

I use both. Ramps for fluid changes(trans or engine) and jack stands for almost all other work.

I drive it up on ramps, raise the ass end up, put it on stands for the rear, then do the same with the front.

Not to derail the thread, but those of you with the Quickjacks - worthwhile? I hate jack stands so I’ve been eying the 5000slx

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
It is when your driveway is inclined. lol With my ramps my car is almost perfectly level. Lucky.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I know what you mean. I use mine on my inclined driveway. E brake, chock both rear tires and put jack stands underneath, but not touching. Not much of a lip on the front. If I remember I'll snap a pic next time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Not to derail the thread, but those of you with the Quickjacks - worthwhile? I hate jack stands so I’ve been eying the 5000slx
If you are in new england I'll sell you mine. What exactly do you hate about jack stands? That might help me give you info on the quickjack.

PhoenixM3

I have a coated garage floor, so I use race ramps if I’m working in the garage. If I’m working wheels or brakes, Jack stands make sense.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Can't get a standardard jack under the front splash guard without ramps. So I use them every time.
I bought a low-profile jack five years ago but it stayed unopened boxed-new once I found that the ramps worked fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UHLPES0/
They're shallow slope so easy to drive up on a manual shift.
They're also plastic rather than metal.
If you want more of a lip, you can attach a triangle shaped block of wood off the back, but I don't think that'll be necessary.

These are great for quick oil changes.
My trans fluid was changed on jack stands; may or may not have been doable on ramps, just never really thought about it.

But yeah, most ramps are designed with automatic transmissions in mind.

Did you get your answer here? I have the 5000 pound QuickJack and it's been great. I have the FiST raised up several times per month. Brakes, oil changes, tire rotation, and I have used it for paint correction and ceramic application.

I will move to an actual lift when the garage is built, but this has been an excellent tool and we'll worth the investment.