Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

To Tune or Not to Tune.....

Hello All,

I have finished all the performance and cosmetic upgrades I planned and wanted to do. Now trying to decide if I shoud tune the car, as it is my daily driver and planning on keeping it for while.
I have modify ever car I have owed but never tuned for the fear it would cause issues. Such as reliability, excessive wear and tear, cause long term issues, not run consistently / correctly and just be more of a worry or burden to deal with. I have done a good amount of research on our cars including Cobb access port, data logging and so on, seems like our car can benefit from a quality tune and thinking about Mountune or Dizzy as options. Just still concerned about all I just mentioned, don’t want to cause an issues and especially being the car is running so well right now. But thinking the tune might be the last thing the car needs to complete it. So asking for any input, advice and feedback about our cars and tunes as well as personal short and long term experiences. Any and all information, insight and help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Dizzy or Stratified....IMO. I've had both for Stock Snail and Big Turbo. You will not be let down by either. Get the snap crackle pop tune also for exhaust if your a child like me and like to startle old people ....pets and young children!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You are close enough to Dizzy Tuning to go there in person, and tell them live what your concerns/worries are, and have them do revisions on the spot (on either their dyno, or the road possibly) to make corrections for max 'safety' right there as you wait. [thumb]

Some (most) on here would claim that this is excessive, and a complete WASTE of coin and time for a factory turbo/bolt-on car, but it could alleviate some of the angst you are having about a tune. (This is what I plan to do, and I am at least 1.5 hours further away from them than you are.) [wink]

I can only speak short term. I got all the foundation mods first and ordered Dizzy tunes 93 and e30 for my car. The difference was immediate the car runs better and smoother from just a drivability stand point. The performance increase is measurable and worth the price of admission.

HBEcoBeaST

I've been running an e30 tune for about 45000miles. Stratifieds previous version since I have no need to upgrade until I do my turbo. Never had a check engine light. Basically fbo besides stock DP and exhaust. An off the shelf tune will be perfect since they are safe and affordable. You can even get a 'conservative' custom tune but honestly without an upgraded turbo or fueling I wouldn't bother.

This car is my daily. It sees a ~60mile commute 6x a week. It's also driven spirited+ 99% of the time. And it sees almost monthly cone courses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Hello All,

I have finished all the performance and cosmetic upgrades I planned and wanted to do. Now trying to decide if I shoud tune the car, as it is my daily driver and planning on keeping it for while.
I have modify ever car I have owed but never tuned for the fear it would cause issues. Such as reliability, excessive wear and tear, cause long term issues, not run consistently / correctly and just be more of a worry or burden to deal with. I have done a good amount of research on our cars including Cobb access port, data logging and so on, seems like our car can benefit from a quality tune and thinking about Mountune or Dizzy as options. Just still concerned about all I just mentioned, don’t want to cause an issues and especially being the car is running so well right now. But thinking the tune might be the last thing the car needs to complete it. So asking for any input, advice and feedback about our cars and tunes as well as personal short and long term experiences. Any and all information, insight and help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance
Great thread topic. I have been grappling with the same issue. I’m still under warranty till the end of the year. I think the bottom line is what you want from the car. Do you want more speed or are satisfied with what you have? The tunes with give you more torque than horsepower, so wheel spin might become an issue (being front wheel drive) Do you want to be monitoring ignition corrections on a screen to see how your car is doing? Do you want to shift less because you have easier power on tap to get you around? I admit I have never had a tune but I read about topics on how a guy bought a tune. Now he needs a traction bar, intercooler etc., etc. Too me its a bit of a slippery slope. I never been in a tuned car, so maybe I could be swayed. But right now its a “no“ for me. And this is my own opinion, because I am in the minority here. Good luck with your choice.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #13
If the car is tuned and is having issues. Then the tune is removed and car brought back to stock form. Will those issues while it was tuned still be a issue or cause the car not to run correctly or anything like that? Or once reverted back to stock all is resolved? I am also aware that you can data log and work with your tuner to make adjustments that will help as well. But how often is anyone experiencing this if any at all? Or is the data logging just done in the beginning to fine tune the tune? Once that's done your good and stick with that tune for the life of the car or unless you want to upgrade?