Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Torn CV Boot - Replacement Advice?

Hey all,

So I have had a pretty dramatic week with my FiST. On Sunday I had the terrifying incident of my front passenger-side brake caliper falling off on the highway due to the bolts backing out. Allow me to detail all of the events just in case there is anything relevant. (Also it just makes for a good story for everyone to laugh at my stupidity, to be quite frank.)

So thankfully I managed to get off the highway and come to a controlled stop without injury to myself or major damage to my car. There did not appear to be any significant damage when I pulled off the highway. (Although boy did my stomach drop when I got out of my car and just saw the caliper hanging by the brake line. I kept it cool until that point.) The brake caliper was a little scratched from rubbing the wheel, and it took out a couple balancing weights that were mounted on the inside of the wheel. Brake line didn't appear torn, I hadn't lost any brake fluid, there didn't appear to be any leaking, I thought I had miraculously gotten off scot-free. I called a family member, we went to a local auto parts store which thankfully had the correct bolts in stock. Grabbed them, a caliper spreader, and some threadlocker. Get back to the car, toss the caliper on and take it the remaining 20 miles home, not exceeding 50mph just in case. I notice that the brake feels a little spongy, but still effective. When I get home, I see now that there are droplets of brake fluid sprayed all over the inside of my wheel. So I order a brake line, wait a day or two, and install it. While doing so I notice that the whole wheel well is DIRTY with a thick grease-like substance. I just figured it was brake fluid that had been thrown about and mixed with road dirt. I cleaned everything up as best I could. After installing and bleeding the brakes, I take the car on a test drive to my local auto parts store (<2 miles away on residential streets only) to grab a couple things. Brake still feels spongy. When I get to the store, I see more droplets of brake fluid on the wheel. Great, it's gotta be a leaky caliper too. Go home. Order a replacement caliper. Wait for that to come in. I JUST installed the new caliper, and while inspecting everything just to be extra thorough, I noticed the cutest little nick in the CV boot. That gunk I cleaned out of my wheel well was not, in fact, brake fluid mixed with road dirt, but most likely CV grease. And now we come to the reason I posting this in Transmission & Drivetrain: I want to source a new CV boot, I can't find any that appear to be specific to the 2019 FiST, but I can find some that seem to claim to be "universal." Will these work? If not, where can I source a CV boot that will? Additionally, how can I be absolutely sure that I haven't done any damage to the CV joint? A new half-shaft isn't prohibitively expensive ($150 for a Motocraft one on RockAuto), but the replacement looks annoying and I'm starting to feel a bit in over my head.

I doubt any of this would be covered under warranty as I'm the one who did the brakes last, so the responsibility of the bolts backing out would fall squarely on me, but any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm just thankful that myself and my car are in (relatively) one piece.

Glad you’re safe.

I would not use a universal boot - they don’t last, and my local auto parts store simply stopped carrying them after too many complaints.

$150 seems like a fair price for a new axle to me. I had a Fiat Abarth 500 and new axles ran over $400. So I had mine rebuilt at a local rack and axle place, which was only about 100 bucks.

It will take an afternoon, and there’s a few good threads on here about how to do it - good luck and stay safe!

Ford make boot replacements, but they are near 100 bucks. So, IMO the new axle is the best bet. Be careful though, I got a new one from ford and it already was torn. Right where they put the clamp. Didn't realize it and the same grease built up. Within 100 miles of changing it. If you order from fords site you can get a 20 dollar off coupon. The brakes being spongy could be because the pads are on reverse. There is a good article on forum. Botched brake job gone right | Fiesta ST Forum So I would double check those dots on the pads as this article states.

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and pre-emptively scheduled an appointment with a local shop just in case. I promised them a good 'just rolled into the shop' story in the details 😂. I'll probably suck it up and order a new half shaft just to be safe. If the CV is damaged and it gives out somewhere down the line that could be way more than $150 worth of damage.

I'm still a little skeptical about replacing it myself. It doesn't look like it's the most involved process, but I am the guy who had his brake caliper literally fall off, so my confidence is a little shaken 🙃. For now I'm going to double check all 4 corners of the car to ensure the pads are the right way around and re-bleed the brakes since I swapped the caliper. Hopefully that will get the car to the point where it's safe to drive to the shop (1.5mi away) to get the CV looked at.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have seen people with torn CV boots I mean completely torn drive tens of thousands of miles. Normally you will start noticing a clicking sound when making turns when it starts to actually bite the dust. Just get it replaced when you can. Also get a torque wrench, so that does not happen again. I'm a torque to spec type of guy.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I have seen people with torn CV boots I mean completely torn drive tens of thousands of miles. Normally you will start noticing a clicking sound when making turns when it starts to actually bite the dust. Just get it replaced when you can. Also get a torque wrench, so that does not happen again. I'm a torque to spec type of guy.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Oh I already got a torque wrench. Bought it along with the brake line. And I went to every single corner of the car and applied new threadlocker and torqued everything to spec. (70Nm brackets, 26Nm calipers) just to be safe.

What I really need to do is get a maintenance manual but I can't seem to find one for a '19. Only ones I can find cover '14-'17.

I have the 2019 manual, purchased it from Helm. It is almost USELESS. It's all HTML format with printing disabled. Want to print on a section on a specific repair, that won't be easy. You have to used print screen and a photo editor to patch it all together. Plan or 2-4 hours for a rather simple procedure. BTW I'm not a computer pro so if their is a means of printing selected procedures from the 2019 manual please post the instructions.

The 2014 manual in PDF is extremely useful and you can highlight and print at will. I'll also note that 98% of what you need will be in the 2014 manual.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Wow these half shafts are dirt cheap compared to some cars. I payed 480 for a Honda CRZ shaft and honda usa had them listed as unavailable and had to buy direct from a japanese warehouse with yen conversion. Glad the FiST will make my life easier when I have to replace.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the 2019 manual, purchased it from Helm. It is almost USELESS. It's all HTML format with printing disabled. Want to print on a section on a specific repair, that won't be easy. You have to used print screen and a photo editor to patch it all together. Plan or 2-4 hours for a rather simple procedure. BTW I'm not a computer pro so if their is a means of printing selected procedures from the 2019 manual please post the instructions.

The 2014 manual in PDF is extremely useful and you can highlight and print at will. I'll also note that 98% of what you need will be in the 2014 manual.
I'm curious how much they updated between 2014 and 2019? I have the 2014 shop manual but a 2017 Fist

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm curious how much they updated between 2014 and 2019? I have the 2014 shop manual but a 2017 Fist
Also @STIX.TheMachine I would order a new axle seal for where the axle comes out of the transmission. They should be pretty cheap and that way if you mess the original one up changing the CV, you can immediately replace it. Also you will probably have some transmission fluid drain out. I would either buy an extra bottle or only jack up the side of the car you are working on to prevent it from draining.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
Good to know. I might take the opportunity to flush the tranny fluid at the same time if it comes down to that then. Taking it in on Tuesday to get the CV assessed.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
@FiestaSTdude Would you be able to give me a part number for that seal you were mentioning? I can't seem to find anything for it on RockAuto.
I've only done a cv axle on my focus not the Fiesta so I've never actually had to buy the seal. I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow though