Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Torque steer

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've developed quite a bit of torque steer in my Fist, and I have done many of the things that are supposed to relieve it but no luck.

1. Pierce 6 pt. brace installed
2. Montune RMM installed
3. MFactory LSD installed
4. Lightweight flywheel installed

Any ideas of where else I can go for relief?

I am running FBO with Whoosh Hybrid turbo E30 tune, and my butt dyno says im around 280 Hp and 300 Tq. I want more power but not until I can control the car.

TIA,
Daniel

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've developed quite a bit of torque steer in my Fist, and I have done many of the things that are supposed to relieve it but no luck.

1. Pierce 6 pt. brace installed
2. Montune RMM installed
3. MFactory LSD installed
4. Lightweight flywheel installed

Any ideas of where else I can go for relief?

I am running FBO with Whoosh Hybrid turbo E30 tune, and my butt dyno says im around 280 Hp and 300 Tq. I want more power but not until I can control the car.

TIA,
Daniel
Change the Tune and how the power all comes together *

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Perhaps some upgraded motor mounts may help, or some Powerflex inserts for the Passenger motor mount and transmission mount, but Honda had to essentially patent a new front suspension design to combat torque steer in the new Civic Type R.

Long story short you're fighting a losing battle here. Torque steer will pretty much always be present at the power level you're at.

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #4
Perhaps some upgraded motor mounts may help, or some Powerflex inserts for the Passenger motor mount and transmission mount, but Honda had to essentially patent a new front suspension design to combat torque steer in the new Civic Type R.

Long story short you're fighting a losing battle here. Torque steer will pretty much always be present at the power level you're at.

I have the Power Flex motor mount inserts on driver/passenger mounts and the Mountune RMM. I am looking for some stiffer bushings at the lower control arms front and rear to stop movement in that area. Before installing the 6 pt. brace I was eating the inner 1" of tread off my tires.

1617221656567.png

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I had a Mountune RMM I changed it out for a Vibratechnics. Not impressed with the Mountune RMM on higher hp cars.
eating the 1 inch of the inner tread of your tire suggests you have alignment issues most likely toe that does not help when it comes to TQ steer . Another reason you are getting a lot of TQ steer is you are using E30 with a hybrid which causes a massive TQ bump in the low end. Perhaps have you tuner limit the TQ in the first two gears that should help but you picked the nature of the beast by going hybrid and then adding a E30 tune. Its exactly why I selected the S280 instead. It can be tuned for TQ in the bottom end but it really starts to shine over 3k and then just goes. My initial tune was done very hybrid and Had crazy wheelspin and TQ in the low end after I went to Tuneplus Adam dialed some of that out. The car is a lot more civilized in the low end and when your in the upper gears aka 3&4 TQ steer is not as bad anyways.

ronmcdon

pretty much. maybe a tune would help.

ive also done more or less most parts I can think of to reduce torque steer but it's still an issue.
TB 4pt brace and almost all braces save for rear booty.
wavetrack lsd
powerflex front lca bushings
dna solid rear bushing
200tw tires
near stock power levels.
vibra technics rmm, tranny mount, passenger motor mount.

planning to run wider wheels and 235-245 wide tires but really doubt that'll do a whole lot. Sucks bc the torque steer is really my least favorite part and keeps it being a much more fun street car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It is almost impossible to completely eliminate in a FWD car.

(One of the reasons I would prefer a bias-able AWD system much more, even though so many on here have such disdain for those drive trains. [wink])

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #8
I think Dpro nailed it. My biggest problem is 3-4k when she hits down low and starts sending torque side to side I know I'm in for a ride. I do have an S280 in future plans, but in the meantime, I am going to work with Dizzy to reduce early TQ in 1-2 gear.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

ronmcdon

It is almost impossible to completely eliminate in a FWD car.

(One of the reasons I would prefer a bias-able AWD system much more, even though so many on here have such disdain for those drive trains. [wink])
It's one of the best things about AWD. problem is so many of the options out there are so large, heavy and dont have the nimble nature of the Fiesta. On my evo x it's so nice to just floor the gas pedal in 1st or 2nd and go. On my relatives model 3 performance the traction is so drama free it's almost boring. even rwd is not quite there as wheelspin with a car with more power is kinda annoying.