Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Toyota GR Yaris priced less than a VW GTI in the U.K.

STTom

Premium Account
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/05/toyota-gr-yaris-priced-uk-europe/

The Toyota GR Yaris is incredibly awesome. It's a specially designed version of the global Yaris with all-wheel drive, a whopping 257 horsepower from just a 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine, and it will be the basis for the upcoming rally car. While exciting, it also left us wondering how expensive it might be, since so much of it isn't shared with other models. Now we have pricing, and it starts at at 29,995 pounds in the U.K., and 33,200 Euros in Germany. Adding front and rear limited-slip differentials bumps the U.K. price to 33,495 pounds (German option pricing wasn't announced). Regardless, at current exchange rates that comes to about $37,000 to $38,000 for the base model and $43,355 for the high-performance variant.

Now that does sound pricey for such a tiny car, even with its wicked powertrain, but direct currency conversions don't tell the whole story. When compared to U.K. and European prices of other hot hatchbacks, it's actually a bit of a bargain. In fact, in the U.K. the 2020 VW GTI, only available with a dual-clutch transmission and performance package for this last year of the current model, starts at around 33,000 pounds. The Honda Civic Type R starts about 32,000 pounds. Only the Hyundai i30 N, comparable to our Veloster N, is priced under 26,000 pounds, but to get the high-output one with limited-slip differential you'll need about 29,000 pounds. In Germany, the gulf is even larger between the Yaris and the Civic Type R and i30 N, which start at 38,000 Euros and 35,000 Euros respectively.

Analyzing the GR Yaris prices is a bit academic, since there's very little chance the model will be offered in the U.S., what with it being based on a car not offered here, and using such unique components. And if it were offered, here, the costs of certifying it could potentially push the price as high as the U.S. Civic Type R, or even higher. We hold out some hope that some variation on the GR Yaris formula comes to America, though, since the back half of it is based on the platform that underpins the U.S. market Corolla hatchback, and a while back Toyota asked in a cryptic Twitter post whether the GR Yaris should come here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am not even that sure that IF they offered that 'same drive/powertrain' in an iM body style Corolla hatch here (like some have suggested they might) would be as hot, since it would have to weigh a bit more than the Yaris platform, besides being larger in dimensions, killing that much more performance. [:(]

I have to admit though that the Corolla hatch is on of the better looking Toy styles out there. [wink]