Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Failures?

Has anyone had an issue with 3rd and 4th gear failing on the FiST transmissions?

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Trans 1: 4th Gear whined (was grenaded supposedly)
Trans 2: 4th Gear had a whine
Trans 3: 3rd Gear 3 doesn't engage properly

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
When mine gave up the ghost it was 3rd gear whine loud and progressively starting to creep into 4th but I did NOT have loss of gear. New unit installed @24k with 2L of fluid drained out of it a week later to Ravenol 75w80 and never looked back. I'm currently @71k.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds familiar.

I had no issues until I started taking the Fiesta to the track (road courses) at about 30k miles.

My first trans developed a loud whine in 4th and was replaced under warranty.

My second trans developed a loud whine in 4th and a moderate whine in 6th and was replaced under warranty.

My third trans started to develop a whine in 4th, but by this time I had figured out how to keep it from getting worse by not shifting mid-corner. After a bit I had the entire transaxle rebuilt locally to figure out what the hell was going on. The rebuilder theorized that the dual-mass flywheel either lost a spring or just couldn't keep up with how I was doing mid-corner shifting. I had already changed my shift points, so I had a single-mass Spec flywheel installed, but I stopped taking the Fiesta to the track before I really tested the theory.

I never lost a gear in all of that, the whine just got unbearable to drive with.

FWIW, the other people I met at the track with Fiesta STs haven't had this issue.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I started out with 6th gear whine, then to 5th gear, now I have 4th gear whine at high rpms. I haven't had to replace my transmission. I'm at 175k kms

Sounds familiar.

I had no issues until I started taking the Fiesta to the track (road courses) at about 30k miles.

My first trans developed a loud whine in 4th and was replaced under warranty.

My second trans developed a loud whine in 4th and a moderate whine in 6th and was replaced under warranty.

My third trans started to develop a whine in 4th, but by this time I had figured out how to keep it from getting worse by not shifting mid-corner. After a bit I had the entire transaxle rebuilt locally to figure out what the hell was going on. The rebuilder theorized that the dual-mass flywheel either lost a spring or just couldn't keep up with how I was doing mid-corner shifting. I had already changed my shift points, so I had a single-mass Spec flywheel installed, but I stopped taking the Fiesta to the track before I really tested the theory.

I never lost a gear in all of that, the whine just got unbearable to drive with.

FWIW, the other people I met at the track with Fiesta STs haven't had this issue.

Matched up with OEM Clutch?? If so how does it drive now?

Matched up with OEM Clutch?? If so how does it drive now?
No, I went to a sprung Spec clutch, a setup I had driven on a friend's car. The stock clutch is unsprung, and I wanted to keep a little bit of give between the engine and transmission. Be warned that Spec doesn't list the sprung version of our clutch online, though. We had to call to get the part number.

It drives fine. I did the replacement only a few months before I stopped taking the Fiesta to the track, and while it was excellent on track I lost the dead easy takeoffs from stops. It's still easy, but before the mod I almost didn't need to use the throttle to get moving on level pavement. It rattles a bit with the clutch disengaged, but my suspension uses heim joints and makes noise, too.