Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fill Level TSB Link

I see a lot of old posts stating that the factory transmission capacity, 1.67L, is wrong. The logic comes from a service manual that specifies filling until the level is "1 in (20mm) below the fill hole." People have pointed out that getting to this level requires 2L, not 1.67L. Furthermore, old posts claim there is a Ford TSB addressing transmission bearing failures that were common on early build Fiesta STs. Supposedly this TSB asks technicians to fill transmissions with 2L, not 1.67L. Does anyone have a link to this TSB? Despite how often it is referenced here, I cannot find the actual TSB. Personally, I find the service manual diagram to be a little suspect (it's not very clear and 1in is not 20mm!), and the existence of the TSB seems to be purely rumors. I have a 2017 Fiesta ST, and the manual still states 1.67L.

Some references:
"Apparently if your original transmission input shaft bearing failed Ford Motor Company had a bulletin for the techs to put over 2 L in it." - Ford ST, Jun 29, 2018. 10797 page 2

"I had my Transmission replaced at 27k ....took brand new fluid out...measured it....2.0L on the Nuts....They started to overfill them due to bearing Failure as per TSB according to A Ford Tech who put my Trans in." - TyphoonFiST, Sep 12, 2018. 16989 page 4

"An error was made. My 2016 came with ~1.6L in it. All documentation on the B6 transmission says 1.67L. But the manual refill instructions state to refill to 1" below the fill hole. 1" below the fill hole is 2.1~2.3L." - Intuit, Jul 1, 2018. 10797 page 3

"I believe in 2017, Ford revised the fill to be 2L. I'd check out Ford's TSBs." - user on Reddit

"the TSB is replacing the half shafts and filling to 2L for the 1st-2nd clunk, not about the inherent clack of the dual mass flywheel. I just searched for TSB's myself, feel free to look it up yourself" - danbfree, Oct 22, 2018. 10797 page 14

That last quote seems to refer to the following TSB, but that TSB does not say to fill to 2L: external link to TSB

I'm probably still going to put 2L of Ravenol in a 2017 I just picked up, but was hoping to see the referenced TSB. I noticed that even the 2014 Fusion, which could be equipped with the 1.6T and 6-speed manual, states the fill capacity as 1.67L.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I've been interested in this question for a while, because I obviously want to put the correct amount of transmission fluid in whenever I do a change. I have not added any transmission fluid or changed it yet, and I'm still on the factory fill. A lot of people have argued quite convincingly on here that two liters is the correct amount, but my transmission is super smooth, it feels excellent, so I have been reluctant to mess with it, along the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it.
However to see if we can get an official answer on this I just sent the following message to Getrag / Magna, and I will post up here if I hear anything back from them.

Hello, I have a 2016 US spec Ford Fiesta ST with a Getrag 6-speed manual transmission, which has excellent shifting, I'm very happy with it. I'm writing to ask what is the correct quantity of transmission fluid specified for a drain and refill?
My 2016 owner's manual specifies 1.6 liters, which I have sometimes seen referred to as 1.67 liters. I believe later year owner's manuals say the same thing. However, some owners have noted that the service manual specifies "Remove enough fluid to be 1 in ( 20 mm) below fill hole" for a fluid level check. Getting to this level when refilling the transmission fluid after a drain requires 2 liters, not 1.67 liters, according to a number of owners. This discrepancy, along with the fact that 1 inch is not 20mm, has created some confusion. A number of owners think the lower 1.67 liter figure is incorrect, and are also worried that the lower amount might cause damage to the transmission.
If you as the manufacturer of the transmission could clarify the correct amount of transmission fluid required for a refill after draining, this would be very helpful. Thank you for your assistance.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
There is enough discussion about this topic already it has been argued to the end of the Earth and back do what you feel comfortable with it's simple as that.
It is a manual transmission not an engine not a automatic transmission.

I have never seen a manual transmission nor a differential ever destroyed or damaged from overfilling it it would simply just leak somewhere. I have however seen them damaged from low fluid, old fluid and the wrong type of fluid.

Just do what you want.

Last edited:
OP
V
Thread Starter #7
Thanks guys. Just drained my 2017 and got 1.67L out. I don't doubt Ford's incompetence, so I'll put 2L back in. Perhaps Ford/Getrag are reluctant to change the spec for fear admitting fault and facing angry customers. I also agree it probably doesn't make a big difference either way.

Sam4

A TSB from the hammerheads who designed this hunkajunk tranny? "Empty contents of fluid container until it dribbles out of the threaded hole...." Your momma knows how much.

Sam4

There is enough discussion about this topic already it has been argued to the end of the Earth and back do what you feel comfortable with it's simple as that.
It is a manual transmission not an engine not a automatic transmission.

I have never seen a manual transmission nor a differential ever destroyed or damaged from overfilling it it would simply just leak somewhere. I have however seen them damaged from low fluid, old fluid and the wrong type of fluid.

Just do what you want.
Fauci's gonna get you......

So here's a question for any ford techs or people who know, regardless of people using 2qt of fluid:

if you follow the manual correctly, how are you supposed to know you're 20mm below the fill hole? Is there a specific tool or method?

haste

1000 Post Club
Holy ***k. Just put two quarts in there. I've been doing it since the tranny was less than a year old and did the same thing with my "new" tranny and have yet to have a problem.

If it runs out of the fill hole, you know it's good. Stupid Ford shit with their 20mm below the fill hole shit...

Calm down bud, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if one were to officially follow the dumb requirements of the fill, how do they do it to spec? Do Ford techs just ignore the procedure and just dump 2qts in there?

I'm specifically asking because the procedure is ridiculous and curious how Ford expects their own techs to check.

haste

1000 Post Club
And that is exactly why I replied. If I was a Ford "tech", I would put the two quarts in there and be done with it.

I've been interested in this question for a while, because I obviously want to put the correct amount of transmission fluid in whenever I do a change. I have not added any transmission fluid or changed it yet, and I'm still on the factory fill. A lot of people have argued quite convincingly on here that two liters is the correct amount, but my transmission is super smooth, it feels excellent, so I have been reluctant to mess with it, along the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it.
However to see if we can get an official answer on this I just sent the following message to Getrag / Magna, and I will post up here if I hear anything back from them.

Hello, I have a 2016 US spec Ford Fiesta ST with a Getrag 6-speed manual transmission, which has excellent shifting, I'm very happy with it. I'm writing to ask what is the correct quantity of transmission fluid specified for a drain and refill?
My 2016 owner's manual specifies 1.6 liters, which I have sometimes seen referred to as 1.67 liters. I believe later year owner's manuals say the same thing. However, some owners have noted that the service manual specifies "Remove enough fluid to be 1 in ( 20 mm) below fill hole" for a fluid level check. Getting to this level when refilling the transmission fluid after a drain requires 2 liters, not 1.67 liters, according to a number of owners. This discrepancy, along with the fact that 1 inch is not 20mm, has created some confusion. A number of owners think the lower 1.67 liter figure is incorrect, and are also worried that the lower amount might cause damage to the transmission.
If you as the manufacturer of the transmission could clarify the correct amount of transmission fluid required for a refill after draining, this would be very helpful. Thank you for your assistance.
Did you ever get a response back to this? Colby from Clark Transmissions recommends 1.6L and said not to go with the 2.0L.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Did you ever get a response back to this? Colby from Clark Transmissions recommends 1.6L and said not to go with the 2.0L.
I did get a response, but it does not shed any light on the situation. Here's what Getrag/Magna said-

"Our technical department advises to get in contact with your local Ford dealer. They must be able to clarify."

So this question is now officially decided once and for all. :cool:

Last edited: