Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tribodyn TRI-EX2 5W-30 motor oil

haste

1000 Post Club
Been out a couple years and seems to be gaining ground. Wondering if anyone here has tried it?

TRI-EX2 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil – TriboDyn® Lubricants

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQ711T8/

TriboDyn® TRI-EX2 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is a patented ceramic lubricant, this 100% synthetic multi-purpose lubricant, provides low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection for small-displacement turbo-charged and Gasoline Direct Injected (GDI) motors. With superior protection against thermal breakdown, excellent protection from deposits at all operating temperatures, excellent cold-cranking capabilities, anti-wear, anti-foam, bearing corrosion, & excellent anti-rust protection. Also includes an enhanced rust protection for flex-fuel vehicles, specifically those that run on ethanol-based fuel (E85).

OP
haste

haste

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
So, I guess the answer to my question so far is no. ;)

I went ahead and ordered two quarts of the 10w-40 for my motorcycle. Much cheaper test than the FiST. I get a pretty consistent 50mpg on the bike so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Seems the "shake well before using" is the ceramic additive.

TriboDyn Lubricants – CoolBlueOil.com

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So, I guess the answer to my question so far is no. ;)

I went ahead and ordered two quarts of the 10w-40 for my motorcycle. Much cheaper test than the FiST. I get a pretty consistent 50mpg on the bike so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Seems the "shake well before using" is the ceramic additive.

TriboDyn Lubricants – CoolBlueOil.com
It's not that I wouldn't mind trying it, but I do mind the cost, especially if my oil change intervals would need to stay the same.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It might be some really great stuff, and that additive might really do something positive (like a more effective, much better dispersed, Liqui Moly Cera Tec), but yeah that co$t is pretty high, even more than I pay for a 5 liter jug of the Ravenol DXG with it's great additives and base stocks.

The Millers CFS Nanodrive (graphene?) oils are priced about the same, but those are more geared towards racing/rallying applications, and not towards any low LSPI needs.

OP
haste

haste

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I sense a snake oil salesman*
I thought the same thing. After poking around on the net and reading/watching as much as I could, the worst thing I read was people complaining about the price, lol.

I just wonder why Bob is the oil guy doesn't have any info on it other than some people complaining about the cost and saying the same thing as you.

I had been looking for a full synthetic in the exact weight they sell for my super moto. Figured I can't go wrong with a $40 experiment.

I'll post up some results/thoughts at some point after I change the oil in my bike. It's the first time I'll be running synthetic in the bike so the comparison might be slightly skewed as I won't have another synthetic to compare it to.

Dialcaliper

If the study cited is legit, there seems to be something to it. https://coolblueoil.com/pages/tribodyn-takes-top-spot-in-oil-tests
Seems almost too good to be true, but maybe there's something there. It is expensive, but not much worse than other high end synthetics

Things I wonder about:
- How it does long term for corrosion protection and the additive packs
- How long the additives in the oil last - if it works awesomely when fresh, but degrades quickly, that could be an issue
- The "don't spill this crap" warning. The MSDS doesn't say it's hazardous, but it sounds like it will leave permanent stains on anything it comes in contact with - ie don't try to pour into the engine without a funnel.:

"We also get asked why TriboDyn oil is blue. The blue is a by-product of the additives and blending of the oil. Care should be taken when working with TriboDyn as the additives that increase the bonding will bond with almost any surface. We recommend gloves and using proper funnels and floor protection. Spills can be cleaned with a good-quality degreaser."

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Seems almost too good to be true, but maybe there's something there. It is expensive, but not much worse than other high end synthetics

Things I wonder about:
- How long the additives in the oil last - if it works awesomely when fresh, but degrades quickly, that could be an issue
- The "don't spill this crap" warning. The MSDS doesn't say it's hazardous, but it sounds like it will leave permanent stains on anything it comes in contact with - ie don't try to pour into the engine without a funnel.:

"We also get asked why TriboDyn oil is blue. The blue is a by-product of the additives and blending of the oil. Care should be taken when working with TriboDyn as the additives that increase the bonding will bond with almost any surface. We recommend gloves and using proper funnels and floor protection. Spills can be cleaned with a good-quality degreaser."
And is our oil changing interval staying the same. And can we use an off the shelf oil filter?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Care should be taken when working with TriboDyn as the additives that increase the bonding will bond with almost any surface. We recommend gloves and using proper funnels and floor protection. Spills can be cleaned with a good-quality degreaser."
Millers gives a similar warning on their Nanodrive additive oils.

I felt this stuff at PRI, it stayed on my fingers for 3+ days. It's interesting...but I need more data before purchasing. The sales rep reminded me a lot of the Amsoil guys, a lot of personal experiences/stories without empirical data.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Things I wonder about:

Buy it up and Blackstone laboratory that shizzle!

OP
haste

haste

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Yep, waiting for someone to report. :p

Got my two quarts for the bike but, baby it's cold outside and I won't be changing the oil in it for a little while. Probably gonna be a couple months before I report any results unless the morning low temps start getting better.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would consider trying it once all of my Ravenol DXG is used up (I have about 2 oil changes worth left after this next one I want to do tomorrow, in the finally over 30*F weather we will get, at an 'undisclosed location' LOL).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I want to try the LiquiMoly Molygen 5W-20 soon, after a very very short run with the Ravenol DXG 5W-30, just to see how it does in the cold season (lifter tick, etc.), and it does carry our Ford spec.

Yup, probably a waste to dump it so soon, but the change before that one was more than a year (and almost 6K miles) ago, and what came out of the sump smelled like I could dump it in the fuel tank and run the car on it (besides being really grimy/gritty and darker than any oil I've ever changed before).