Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trouble starting car with tune+ pre gaped plugs

Hey guys. A few weeks ago I installed some pre gaped Denso ITV22 plugs and noticed my car is having more trouble starting up. On e30 tune it almost died on start up. Is this normal? The car runs fine, and feels smoother than the stock plugs. I'm getting no negative ign. Corr. I forgot to check the gap before installing the plugs. Thanks for the help.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Strange. Might be a tune issue on startup. Ive ran the NGK and Denso cooler plugs and have no problems. Is the E30 mixture correct?

TUX15ST

NOT SURE IF ITS TRUE BUT i BELIEVE i REMEMBER HEARING SOMETHING ABOUT THE COLDER PLUGS GIVING YOU A SLIGHTLY LONGER CRANK, BUT IT CERTAINLY SHOULDNT BE DYING, JUST TAKE LONGER IF ANYTHING. TRY RUNNING THE STOCK ON YOUR CURRENT SETUP AND SEE IF THE ISSUE HAPPENS AGAIN, ID BET ITS THE TUNE IF ANYTHING

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #4
Yes e30. It has a little less trouble on the 91 octane. I'll switch back to the stock tune and see how it works then.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
For me, e30 + 2 step colder plugs in the cold weather, will sometimes cause long start ups.

This isn't every time and usually happens after shutting the car off and trying to start again after a short amount of time (5-10 mins). Sometimes I have to hit the button to stop the cranking, then try again and it works fine.

I think it's just a mixture of shorter plug, cold weather, and ethanol

^^^ What he said... mine does the same thing every so often on 1 step colder plugs on e30 (I dont run regular 91 so don't know if it does it on that too...

It's almost never "cold" in Arizona for me so it is EXTREMELY rare and your car should never die, there could be another problem looming. All 1 step colder spark plugs are really doing is lowering the combustion temperature and its only by 70-90 degrees if I remember correctly and that isn't enough to cause a car that is already running to die. Now if there is a problem and the plug was dropped and gapped incorrectly you should get misfires... but it still shouldn't die...

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #8
That's sounds like it. Thanks for the help, and reassuring me something is not wrong.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
It's lowering the plug temp levels. Plugs should operate in the 500 to 800 c level.