Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trying to spread the word of the low transmission fluid problem.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
When I did my first swap with oem fluid, I put 2.1 liters in since I had extra (had to buy 3 quarts to get to 2 liters). I think an even 2 is sufficient. That .1 is nothing to lose sleep over

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
beats coming here on the forum and posting about transfer case noises, LOL (y)
True dat!

For arguments sake, how much do you think you had put in to get to the magical and mysterious 20mm mark?

koozy

3000 Post Club
I only bought 2QT of Redline DCTF and that’s all I had to put in and get the reading on my DIY dipstick.

I can’t say with absolute certainty that everyone will experience the same, hence make a dipstick and confirm to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone

I made a video today hopefully it will help put more information out there about the low transmission fluid problem.

View: https://youtu.be/vasXrzVwdOQ

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Fill and suck out method is what I used, and its nice to have another bottle on the shelf should I need it for some reason. Good video and good on you for spreading this important info.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I only bought 2QT of Redline DCTF and that’s all I had to put in and get the reading on my DIY dipstick.

I can’t say with absolute certainty that everyone will experience the same, hence make a dipstick and confirm to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone
Ahhh, so that's about 1.89 liters. [emoji106]
Well then, my 2 liters of ravenol is (slightly) more than enough. *Better to be a little ova than a little unda

I do love your dipstick tho, but I'm a little too OCD to mess with that. Once I start down that road, I wont be able to get off it.
It's bad enough when I do an oil change and spend an hour getting the level just perfect on the dipstick. [emoji43]

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Fill and suck out method is what I used, and its nice to have another bottle on the shelf should I need it for some reason. Good video and good on you for spreading this important info.
I'm with you having an extra bottle or 2 just in case. So, the big question is, did you have to crack a 3rd bottle open to get to the 20mm? More specifically, how much do you think it took to get to the big [emoji2390][emoji2388][emoji780]

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I used a coat hanger and marked a black line at 3/4 going up 1/4 increments to 1 1/2.
I hope one day we find the mystery of why they are not properly filled.

I feel much better with 11 additional ounces. I should have done it sooner I had 9,400 miles on the old fluid.

koozy

3000 Post Club
A couple of things, I don't know if what was in the Redline bottles exact 1 QT in each bottle. I did not measure.

I also did not wait for every little drop of the oil fluid drain out, so there may have been some residual in there.

Like I said I don't care how much is in there as long as it's 20mm below the fill hole.

I'm with you having an extra bottle or 2 just in case. So, the big question is, did you have to crack a 3rd bottle open to get to the 20mm? More specifically, how much do you think it took to get to the big [emoji2390][emoji2388][emoji780]

Barely poured some of the 3rd bottle and then slowly suctioned out to about 20mm mark. About every other oil change I pull the air box and check the fluid just to be sure. All’s well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I used a coat hanger and marked a black line at 3/4 going up 1/4 increments to 1 1/2.
I hope one day we find the mystery of why they are not properly filled.

I feel much better with 11 additional ounces. I should have done it sooner I had 9,400 miles on the old fluid.
So, the 2 liters of revenol got you exactly where you need to be on your makeshift dipstick?

A couple of things, I don't know if what was in the Redline bottles exact 1 QT in each bottle. I did not measure.
Redline does quarts.
I also did not wait for every little drop of the oil fluid drain out, so there may have been some residual in there.
The .11 liter will account for any residuals.
Like I said I don't care how much is in there as long as it's 20mm below the fill hole.
Yes yes yes...we are all well aware that you don't care about anything other than "20mm below fill hole" [emoji482]

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Barely poured some of the 3rd bottle and then slowly suctioned out to about 20mm mark. About every other oil change I pull the air box and check the fluid just to be sure. All’s well so far.
"Barely"? Haha, interesting.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I felt like it got me to where it needed to be. I can't draw a line with a ruler so I'm not the best person to give exact measurements.
I had to go down at least a 1/2 more on the old fluid to touch it. Now it's definitely somewhere between 3/4 and 1 inch.

And I did let it drain for at least 15 minutes.
It was on 4 jack stands.

koozy

3000 Post Club
So, the 2 liters of revenol got you exactly where you need to be on your makeshift dipstick?

Redline does quarts.
I realize they do quarts, what I was conveying was that I don't know if what was in the bottle was exactly 1 qt. Ever look at oil bottles at the parts store and notice the levels are not exactly the same through the see through peek window on the bottles? I do.