Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tubular Exhaust Manifolds and Turbo Spool

For anyone who has them/understands the engineering behind them, will a tubular exhaust manifold (like Peron or Airtec) increase lag on a hybrid turbo? Does the extra length of travel from the tubular headers delay spooling to full boost?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
For anyone who has them/understands the engineering behind them, will a tubular exhaust manifold (like Peron or Airtec) increase lag on a hybrid turbo? Does the extra length of travel from the tubular headers delay spooling to full boost?
Not needed on hybrid. Hybrid‘s do not put out enough ponies to take advantage of a tubular. IMO

Tubular is only needed for people going 350 and more. I.E. Big turbo’s

OP
Snark_1
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. Would a hybrid turbo benefit more from a ported manifold? Or is the manifold a non-issue unless you go with a big turbo?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks for the insight. Would a hybrid turbo benefit more from a ported manifold? Or is the manifold a non-issue unless you go with a big turbo?
Now thats a Debate, AET claimed like a 10-15% difference with their ported manifold and put out some charts on it back in the day. Ron sells an extrude honed manifold I don’t think its needed but people buy it.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Theoritically, a ported manifold or tubular header should and has always been thought to reduce turbo lag through increased exhaust gas flow and/or velocity. It's not the best bang for buck but for some platforms can be a real source of gains. There really isn't enough info on our platform to form a opinion based on empirical data. I myself would like to pair the s280 turbo with a ported manifold. I'd like to see if the logs match my butt dyno. And if they don't match, at least my butt will be happy even if my bank account isn't ;)

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
This isn't an Evo where people are aiming for 700+ hp. Yeah a tubular manifold or honed cast manifold would be "better" but better is relative.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This isn't an Evo where people are aiming for 700+ hp. Yeah a tubular manifold or honed cast manifold would be "better" but better is relative.
I agree like I said earlier going over 350 a tubular manifold can benefit. For all intensive purposes most people going over 350 are using Turbo’s that require tubular mani’s anywise as they do not have a bolt pattern that matches our stock mani’s.
If a ported manifold was still available for $200 I might have considered it. Though I do not feel $500 or an extrude honed is worth it at all. That is me like I said before people buy them. People do lots of things that are not logical. lol IMO.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I agree like I said earlier going over 350 a tubular manifold can benefit. For all intensive purposes most people going over 350 are using Turbo’s that require tubular mani’s anywise as they do not have a bolt pattern that matches our stock mani’s.
If a ported manifold was still available for $200 I might have considered it. Though I do not feel $500 or an extrude honed is worth it at all. That is me like I said before people buy them. People do lots of things that are not logical. lol IMO.
I might be one of those people. Just picked up an Airtec manifold.

haste

1000 Post Club
I changed from the pumaspeed quickspool tubular manifold to rons extrude honed with my x37. The ONLY thing I noticed was that my engine seemed to run smoother, especially under heavy load. Not as "buzzy" sounding if that makes sense. I didn't notice any power or sound difference.