Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tuning in throttle tip-in

jeff

2000 Post Club
Wondered if anyone else is having their tune customized for added throttle tip-in. That is, the factory set for x % of manual throttle applied via the right pedal = y % of actual throttle given to the engine. So for instance if the factory preset is linear, 5% = 5%, 32% = 32%, and so on, that is a thing. Not sure how it's set by the factory but most cars have a fairly linear feel I think.

So, there are all sorts of "throttle booster" gimmicks on the market that electronically cause things to move exponentially or at least kick in earlier, for example, with such a mod 20% might now become 50%. It's a gimmick and the car feels faster but isn't, it's just applying more throttle quicker with less pedal.

All that is to say, I drive my Prelude and Fiesta back and forth, about 50/50. I noticed in the last month that the Honda has much quicker tip-in (power comes on quicker) than the Ford, even though it's wayyyyyy slower. Still the feel of power access going from one car to the other is noticeable. So I just had my tune revised when I added the perps & berbs last week, with the revision I asked for more throttle tip-in.

After driving the car for a couple days I must say I am shocked at how much better it feels. It feels faster; it isn't faster, but as mentioned above it tricks your mind. In any case it makes drivability much better and the car's personality feels way more in tune with it's power/torque level now. It's really nice. Plus the perps & berbs are pretty epic too.

All this was running through my mind today so I thought I'd see if anyone else has had their custom tune programmed as such.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Do you have the % of tip-in that was changed?
I do not. I asked him for more, whatever he did feels amazing and just right. Not too much but a definite improvement. Even though it’s a custom tune the throttle has always felt about identical to what it felt like from the factory. Now at about 20% the power comes on rapidly, like I said it above it fits the personality of the car much more and feels I drivability has increased.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Hrm. The car already feels twitchy to me due to the suspension, dunno if I would like the throttle to be twitchy as well. Do you feel like you have less control at low desired throttle?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Hrm. The car already feels twitchy to me due to the suspension, dunno if I would like the throttle to be twitchy as well. Do you feel like you have less control at low desired throttle?
Could be preference or different mods, but mine definitely did not and does not feel twitchy. No less control, only quicker access to power. Controlling the throttle with the pedal has never been a difficulty for me.