Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo manifold porting underway:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will fix the pics a bit later, have to get back to the fun right now:)

This might not do much for the stock turbo power band except cause it to spool a bit faster but it is sure going to help with a GT25 or GTX, etc...turbo upgrade.

I tried to get some good pics of the rough casting, ridges, etc....but just could not get good enough lighting and focus inside as so dark. I cleaned it out and still no luck so you just have to take my word on this, it needs done!

Still a work in progress and the results are much more impressive than my pictures show.

Stock inlet on the end,

Two middle ports to show the difference in opening them up a bit and cleaning up the flow. I am looking at getting a flexible shaft so I can do the whole inside as well, I have a flexible color camera I will use to see if I can get better pics and do a good job deeper inside.

Left side is partially ported, it was as bad as the picture above, one on right is nearly done, at this stage at least.

Outlet was worse than it seems in this picture as porting already started.

Better now, I am testing different bits, etc, to get things smoothed up as possible.

When porting there are a few rules to doing it right, these are the simplest but very important ones.

1) always leave enough material to not weaken the part
2) always match precisely from port to port if you an ensure no offset when bolted up.
3) #2 is tough to do so an easier way it to ensure the outlet is smaller than what it feeds into and even if no lined up there is not direct flow blockage
4) match the port volume as close as you can, in this case not possible with the inner to outer ports being so different but do the best you can.
5) CLEAN it out completely before reinstall

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Attach the images to the thread. Cant wait to see pics.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Glad to see someone taking this on. Count me as subscribed.

me32

1000 Post Club
Great pics. I will be keeping and eye out on this thread. I would like to see if there are gains on the stock turbo.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I was hoping to leave the turbo in place and lust get the manifold off so I did not have the water and oil lines to deal with but that did not work out. Water lines are in the way of taking off the heat shield so I drained the radiator a bit to be sure not seeping out but if the engine is cold it would probably not seep or not much if it did so draining might not be required.

I also had to disconnect the oil lines as just not able to get the two inner nuts loose from under the car with the manifold pulled back from the head, it was not engaging the nut and started stripping it. I just pulled the whole thing out from under the car as was working from there on the lift.

I have a ton of tools and a lift that makes this much easier but compared to the turbo system I made for the first 1ZZ Matrix this is a very easy car to work on!

----------------

I not not expect much of anything with the stock turbo, it is simply to small, good selling point for the car making it exciting but not the best turbo they could of used. It would make a great upgrade to the 1.0 ecoboost I am sure:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I had a vistor yesterday so did not get as much done, want to find better polishing bits....so I made the IC mounts and pulled the front bumper to weld them on the inside and got the outlet bend and tips ready to be welded on.

Pulling the bumper off is a bit of a task, leaving the hood latched helps to hold up the radiator support, a very different design than I have ever seen but it seems to be very solid all around.

I opened up more air flow to the radiator and outlet from the IC as well, I forgot to take more pics and what I did cannot be seen and not sure if I will take the bumper off again, my bad.

--------------------

As for porting the turbo, if I spent a great deal of time porting it I might get just a little more flow but not likely enough to warrant the labor involved but it could be a little surprise as well though I would not bank on it.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Latest improvements:)

I had forgotten to match the manifold gasket to the manifold, I had done it on the head and it looked good but as you will see below, there was enough offset that the exhaust flow could easily of hit the edge of the intake port.

Stock end port.

Other end port already opened up but not checked to see if centered over the head port.

Fully opened up to the edge of the gasket. Of course the head port is a fair amount smaller but the gasket fits nicely centered on them, this will ensure the cleanest flow into the manifold and also helps prevent revision when the the outlet port is smaller than the inlet port.

As noted here or elsewhere, I am only port matching or stepping as in this case and cleaning up the rouge interior of the manifold, it will not be enlarged a great degree by doing this work in order to ensure it spools the turbo sooner.

It will still flow more and allow more top end power will enhancing lower end power when I put on a bigger turbo.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I wonder how much a manifold from ford would run me. Just so I can do this and not have my car down forever

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Yes, lots of work, lots of fun, all these little details really add up though so worth it if you have the time, tools, fortitude.....or what some may consider a disorder......:)

Not sure what it might cost, hopefully not to much, is is an interesting looking metal, could be something of really good quality which makes sense.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I would imagine so as at their price point versus warranty issues it would be a very smart move and US manf, Ford more than others it seems, are waking up a bit.

MOFiST

What happened to the photo's on this thread?
Sounds like too much work for me especially with my room constraints.

It's great to have this forum as a reference to come back to if I get the itch to do this.
BTW I use postimg.org to host my photos. It says they dont delete for inactivity > http://postimage.org/faq.php

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Still no photos on this end.

Dave

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
In my "group buy" thread I list prices for manifold porting and can do a core deal so you do not have down time... And there is a link to sort of a lot of pictures

MOFiST

Thanks. I know about your thread. It's more that it's a rare event when raamaudio posts pics of his work and so it's a shame to see it disappear.