Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo rebuild

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Ok, in case people missed my post on me buying a used turbo. I bought a used GT2556r, it's the turbo that comes in the Mountune MRX kit, the previous owner said it had about 45k miles of use. When I got it the blades did not spin freely, but other than that no signs of damage. Took it to Turbo Depot a local rebuilder. The only thing wrong was the ball bearings were coked. This is a conditions where the bearings are coated in burnt oil and can not spin properly. What causes coking is shutting the car off before the turbo has a chance to cool off after running it hard. The rest of the turbo in fine, just needed the the bearing cartridge replaced.
Now the coking problem. Back in the day, before the internet, when car mods were reported in Hot Rod this problem was taken care of with the used of a turbo timer. Now a days turbo timers seem to have fallen into disfavor, due to better oil and water cooled turbos, but at least in my case or the former owners case, coking still seems to be a thing. Now my plan is to not shut the car down till it has cooled off, but in the back of my mind the old school me is thinking maybe a turbo timer is not such a bad thing. what do you all think?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok, in case people missed my post on me buying a used turbo. I bought a used GT2556r, it's the turbo that comes in the Mountune MRX kit, the previous owner said it had about 45k miles of use. When I got it the blades did not spin freely, but other than that no signs of damage. Took it to Turbo Depot a local rebuilder. The only thing wrong was the ball bearings were coked. This is a conditions where the bearings are coated in burnt oil and can not spin properly. What causes coking is shutting the car off before the turbo has a chance to cool off after running it hard. The rest of the turbo in fine, just needed the the bearing cartridge replaced.
Now the coking problem. Back in the day, before the internet, when car mods were reported in Hot Rod this problem was taken care of with the used of a turbo timer. Now a days turbo timers seem to have fallen into disfavor, due to better oil and water cooled turbos, but at least in my case or the former owners case, coking still seems to be a thing. Now my plan is to not shut the car down till it has cooled off, but in the back of my mind the old school me is thinking maybe a turbo timer is not such a bad thing. what do you all think?
Nope don't need it. The Turbo is liquid cooled Not just Air cooled. If our Turbo was just air cooled it would need more time to cool down due to inadequate heat dissipation that that causes coking that the liquid cooled portion provides. It could've been due to the previous owner not priming the Turbo after install and just driving it. But that is still a small chance also.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk