Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Transformer LIVE DYNO WEBCAST in HD - Friday Feb 20 at 10:45 AM (Pacific Time)

I am conducting a dyno test at a local shop with Turbo Transformer on Friday Feb 20, at 10:45 am (Pacific Time).

Here is the intended schedule -
10:45 am - Fiat 500 Abarth
11:55 am - Fiesta ST
1:05 pm - Focus ST
2:25 pm - Veloster Turbo (still to be confirmed)

I would love for everybody to attend the test in person but since that is impossible, I have done next best thing by bringing the show to you. I will do a live broadcast of the dyno-test directly on my website - www.turbotranformer.com.

I invite all parties, supporters and critics, to view the webcast on my website and post whatever you have to say here (positive or negative) during and after the webcast.

Full Disclaimer - I have never done a webcast before or even heard of anyone conducting one in the aftermarket industry. Therefore, I have no idea of the web traffic limitations and what will happen to the speed and quality if too many people join. If I realize that the webcast quality is poor, I may yank the HD and just do 720p.

If you have any suggestions for how I should conduct the webcast, please let me know soon. I look forward to seeing you all there.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Sorry for the delayed update, I was exhausted by Friday afternoon and all day yesterday.

All in all, the day went well; although I wish I had done some things better.

1. Manage intake temps better by allowing longer so the runs would be more comparable.
2. I ran stock tests first and then with Turbo Transformer. As a result I had already heat-soaked the car and the TT horsepower gains didn't appear as impressive as I was hoping for.
3. Use 91 Octane rather than 87. This compounded to the heat soak making the gains less impressive.
4. NOT done the webcast - there were not enough viewers to make it worth while AND it took away from the above items that I could have focused on instead.

I am going for another dyno test with the Fiesta next week where I will correct these mistakes.
I will manage the cool down, use 91 Octane and monitor intake temp so I have more substantial material to post.

Sorry to keep everybody waiting another week. During the Focus ST testing, I was still unable to cool down enough between passes or monitor intake temp. Partially because I was paying for the dyno per hour so I didn't want to pay to wait and as mentioned, I was trying to manage the webcast. However, the Focus ST DID have 91 Octane so I will post those numbers now.

FOCUS ST RESULTS

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Holy crap that was a happy dyno...was this a stock/ fairly stock Fiesta ST? Nonetheless, those are decent low/ mid gains in hp/ tq and the gains are all that really matter. The hp gain is okay but the torque gain is on par with a stg1 tune for significantly less than a tuning device/ tune. Did you happen to plot the boost as well?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Holy crap that was a happy dyno...was this a stock/ fairly stock Fiesta ST?
As mentioned in TT's previous post those dyno results just posted by Turbo Transformer were for the Focus ST...not the FiST....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
As mentioned in TT's previous post those dyno results just posted by Turbo Transformer were for the Focus ST...not the FiST....
Ha ha, thanks for that. I didn't even notice it said Focus ST. I was thinking that he was going to retest a FiST next week then just completely looked over where he said Focus ST...like twice, lol. In for the FiST results.

Dwhizzle

40 Torque is pretty impressive (even if it is a Focus ST that we're talking about).

I'm mainly interested because my FiST is a lease and I'm still a little nervous about them checking if the ECU has been flashed when I turn it in. Haha. The TT seems like a nice 1/2 way point for some easy extra torque and HP.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
I should have been more clearer - those are Focus ST results. The FiST will get retested next week with 91 Octane and better procedure. Tentatively, I am expecting a gain of at 25 lb-ft wheel torque and at least 5-7 wheel hp.

It is hard to test this on the dyno due to the lack of cooling air. I will log intake temp - not having this is a problem, plus I was rushed due to the webcast that very few people attended and had to balance paid dyno time vs cool down time between passes.

I may still do the webcast again if there is enough interest (since it does add a lot of credibility) - as a new product and a new business, people are quick to assume that I am out to rip everyone off so I need to go the extra mile. But with due to the poor attendance, I have decided to skip the webcast and just post results instead. In either case, you will hear soon.

Heat soaked after one dyno pull? I mean... how many does it take to get a baseline?

Also... can we get the A/F ratios and boost levels?

Instead of webcast.. why not just have someone record it and post on YouTube? Seems that would be easier.

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
Heat soaked after one dyno pull? I mean... how many does it take to get a baseline?

Also... can we get the A/F ratios and boost levels?
Yes, I sincerely think it heat soaked after the first pass on a warmish California afternoon. This was quite apparent with the Hyundai Veloster where the intercooler was too hot to touch after the first pass. I literally held the cooling fan on it for 5 minutes before it ran the same number again. I personally do 6-7 passes at work before I tune anything, but we own that dyno rather than pay by the hour. I didn't think it was smart to cool down and pay the operator to sit in the car - although in retrospect that would have been the wise thing to do, as opposed to visiting the dyno again.

And yes, per your request, I will log the AFRs and boost and also the intake temp next visit.

Instead of webcast.. why not just have someone record it and post on YouTube? Seems that would be easier.
Yes, that would have been the smart thing to do - looking back, the webcast was a terrible idea since there were very few people attending it. Next visit, I will just log the runs and do a video to post later.

I learned this lesson by the time I got to the Focus; so I had simply put the webcam aside and was shooting video with another camera. I also allowed longer cool down times between passes which is why I think the results were better. Despite the low hp gain, I think a gain of 40 lb-ft at the wheels is good and very notable.

I hate delays myself, I will promptly post results and videos and pics next weekend. The first dyno visit was a blow but I know what to do now.

Thank you all for being patient.

Look at the hp gap around the 140hp mark. It went from 140hp stock to about 175hp with the TT. Even though the max hp is not too much, you are getting more hp sooner in the rpms. I want to see what the Fist will do.