Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbosmart EM BOV Plumb Back VR2 Sound clips

Hi everyone im posting this in case anyone is interested in buying a Turbosmart EM BOV Plumb Back VR2 but wonder how it sounds heres some sound clips of it. Ill add tha it seems too be quieter in lower temps. Hope this helps as I couldn't find a single video when I decided to buy it.

Attachments

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the clip. I have one in the box sitting on my desk as a handy paper weight since I bought it. I think its time to put it in..lol
Be careful during install - most of them come with a little blue insert to prevent you from plugging the plug in backwards. When I switched from the "dual port" to the plumb back, the plumb back came without the insert allowing me to plug it in backwards and it broke the DV connector in half. I was able to fix it with UV curing resin, but if you break that connector, as far as I can tell you need to replace a big section of engine harness to resolve the issue.

Fiestig

Be careful during install - most of them come with a little blue insert to prevent you from plugging the plug in backwards. When I switched from the "dual port" to the plumb back, the plumb back came without the insert allowing me to plug it in backwards and it broke the DV connector in half. I was able to fix it with UV curing resin, but if you break that connector, as far as I can tell you need to replace a big section of engine harness to resolve the issue.
I have the plumb back, just opened it up to look and there is no blue anything on the connector, but I am not seeing any way that it could go backwards with the plug clip and alignment barb on the inside. Here are some pics of the connector on mine

20200521_094928.jpg 20200521_094919.jpg 20200521_094906.jpg 20200521_094852.jpg

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have the plumb back, just opened it up to look and there is no blue anything on the connector, but I am not seeing any way that it could go backwards with the plug clip and alignment barb on the inside. Here are some pics of the connector on mine

View attachment 30973 View attachment 30974 View attachment 30975 View attachment 30976
oh sweet yours has a different plug. mine didnt have that little lump on one side, so it could fit in either way :|

glad they changed it! now i just wish i could find the car-side connector so I Could replace it without doing the whole harness

Fiestig

oh sweet yours has a different plug. mine didnt have that little lump on one side, so it could fit in either way :|

glad they changed it! now i just wish i could find the car-side connector so I Could replace it without doing the whole harness
Parts yard should have something. More likely that you could find a 1.6T Ford Escape to pull from rather than a Fist.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Parts yard should have something. More likely that you could find a 1.6T Ford Escape to pull from rather than a Fist.
Yeah, I'm weird about used parts but after hunting for months I'm probably going to have to get over it. The alternative is a 400 dollar harness that looks like an absolute nightmare to install :p

Fiestig

Yeah, I'm weird about used parts but after hunting for months I'm probably going to have to get over it. The alternative is a 400 dollar harness that looks like an absolute nightmare to install :p
I will see what they have around here next week. I saw an ecoboost escape being dragged into the parts yard in Moss Landing a couple weeks ago. Nothing wrong with pulling good parts out of yards. Just avoid the fire and flood cars when talking about electrical. Although a plug should be peachy no matter what

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I will see what they have around here next week. I saw an ecoboost escape being dragged into the parts yard in Moss Landing a couple weeks ago. Nothing wrong with pulling good parts out of yards. Just avoid the fire and flood cars when talking about electrical. Although a plug should be peachy no matter what
Oh don't go out of your way, there are a billionty of them in the junkyard here, I just have to motivate to go do it :p

DAW

So whatā€™s the correct way to plug the connection in? I just installed mine and got a cel, and it doesnā€™t make any sounds besides a slight flutter. The connector it has on it goes in both ways...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If it's not working with the way that it's plugged in now and you can plug it in both ways it's obviously the other way.

I have had one of these for over 2 years and have no issues. Never had an issue with the connector either.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So whatā€™s the correct way to plug the connection in? I just installed mine and got a cel, and it doesnā€™t make any sounds besides a slight flutter. The connector it has on it goes in both ways...
it doesn't actually go on both ways, if you look carefully at the oem connector, and at the connector on the car, there's a flat side that you need to line up with the new connector. You probably have it backwards. Be careful taking it back apart - when I connected mine backwards it cracked the connector on the car.

DAW

it doesn't actually go on both ways, if you look carefully at the oem connector, and at the connector on the car, there's a flat side that you need to line up with the new connector. You probably have it backwards. Be careful taking it back apart - when I connected mine backwards it cracked the connector on the car.
I thankfully didnā€™t break anything when I fixed the plug, works great now!

Hi everyone im posting this in case anyone is interested in buying a Turbosmart EM BOV Plumb Back VR2 but wonder how it sounds heres some sound clips of it. Ill add tha it seems too be quieter in lower temps. Hope this helps as I couldn't find a single video when I decided to buy it.
Is that chirping sound in the clip normal? I had the same thing with the dual port I just installed, but it wasn't doing it all the time, so I took a look at the connector last night and one of the pins was broken about halfway up. I figured the solenoid was just chattering from not having a solid connection. There didn't seem to be a correlation between rpm, engine temp, speed or anything else. It was almost just by chance I would either get the usual "psshhh" sound or the rapid chirping.

Sorry for the bump but i just installed this along with a new s280 and I'm getting flutter now.
Could I have the electrical connector plugged in backwards?
Further was there a flat directional indicator on the housing as with the external vented version?
Thank you much

Sorry for the bump but i just installed this along with a new s280 and I'm getting flutter now.
Could I have the electrical connector plugged in backwards?
Further was there a flat directional indicator on the housing as with the external vented version?
Thank you much
Hey, so I ordered both a plumb back and dual port version and they had the same connector with the flat side. On my first go around with the dual port, I had the connector facing the wrong direction and unknowingly pushed one of the pins back into the connector housing, because it didn't line up correctly. I was able to fix it, but had I taken more time to ensure the pins lined up with the holes properly, it would have been obvious that I had it in the wrong orientation. After swapping it out for my plumb back bov, I thought I had made the same mistake, because it was chirping sometime, but I think it's normal when driving more aggressively. I rolled down the windows and was just cruising and heard the bov acting as you would expect (significantly quieter than my dual port, but the sound of the air was still audible). I then tried to drive more aggressively and found that I could hear both the usual bov sound, as well as the chirping. My understanding is that this is somewhat expected due to the actuation speed of this bov. Hope this helps!

I had it installed the other way initially I just flipped it over do you happen to remember which of these is correct?
Both ways plug in on this new connector and clip into/mesh with the factory harness plug.
I tried both ways and honestly can't hear a difference driving. Is this thing even polarized?
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
I had it installed the other way initially I just flipped it over do you happen to remember which of these is correct?
Both ways plug in on this new connector and clip into/mesh with the factory harness plug.
I tried both ways and honestly can't hear a difference driving. Is this thing even polarized?
Thanks
That looks like the correct orientation. The first time I tried it and got it wrong, I was trying to get the raised sections to interface...which was definitely not right. If you don't hear a difference or think it's working properly, then you might need to shine a light into the male connector end to see if you pushed in one or both of the pins like I did. I ended up cutting off the heat shrink and pushing the pin back through from the backside of the connector, because the little grommet was making it difficult to pull forward with a pair of needle nose pliers. I replaced the heat shrink to ensure everything stayed protected...which gave me a good excuse to get a heat gun ;)