Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbosmart Plumb Back EM VR2 or Kompact shortie pneumatic plumb back

drg

Hi! Anyone knows which is the best in terms of performance?
Better performance with electric plumb back than pneumatic plumb back?
And about sound?
Thanks a lot![thumb]

Last edited:

slopoke

If you want sound, you will need to go with the dual port. The regular plumb back does not vent to atmosphere. If you want real sound, block off the port on the turbo and go full vent to atmosphere. I do believe you can use the connection where the sound symposer lives to fit the vent to atmosphere bov.

In terms of "performance" I don't think that there is a big difference. The electronic ones may have a quicker response time, but I have not seen any data or information to confirm this. I have the electronic version and have no issues with it.

TS-0203-1102-front.jpg

TS-0205-1301.jpg

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hi! Anyone knows which is the best in terms of performance?
Better performance with electric plumb back than pneumatic plumb back?
And about sound?
Thanks a lot![thumb]
Both types of TurboSmart BOV's work equally well
The new EM v2 is a bit easier to install with just 3 bolts and then plug it in vs the original style which requires a CEL pig tail and running a vacuum line to the boost tap.
The new EM v2 will hold anything you throw at it from stock turbo up to any turbo upgrade that has the OEM BOV flange

pwnall1337

Vendor
Hey [MENTION=8712]drg[/MENTION],

I'm not usually a bov kinda guy, or at least I wasn't a fan of the tial on my green fiesta with a gtx2860r, however I will say I absolutely love my turbosmart dual port 50/50 and I run it on our project x47r fiesta st.

I really like the way it sounds at low boost / low rpm shifts as heard in the video of our car below.

[video=youtube;tlob9RSOizk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlob9RSOizk&t=64[/video]

http://pwnallperformance.com/Turbosmart-Fiesta-ST-Kompact-EM-BOV-Dual-Port-VR2_p_42.html

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Both types of TurboSmart BOV's work equally well
The new EM v2 is a bit easier to install with just 3 bolts and then plug it in vs the original style which requires a CEL pig tail and running a vacuum line to the boost tap.
The new EM v2 will hold anything you throw at it from stock turbo up to any turbo upgrade that has the OEM BOV flange
This... The EM version vs. vacuum is nice to not have to worry about vacuum lines and a CEL pig tail, there is zero difference in performance so go with the plumb back if you want even quieter than stock or the dual port so you get 50/50 for sound. Unlike the first gen, I don't believe either of the VR2 requires any adjustment... I just got my VR2 EM plumb back and it certainly holds boost well, definite improvement over stock as far as holding boost at higher RPM's for sure. Only thing is, any BOV that mounts to the Symposer is going to approximately 1 billion percent easier to install, it is a near nightmare level install getting to the side of the turbo if you don't have a lift, but that could just be me, hehe.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Only thing is, any BOV that mounts to the Symposer is going to approximately 1 billion percent easier to install, it is a near nightmare level install getting to the side of the turbo if you don't have a lift, but that could just be me, hehe.
Gonna be a butthead here :)
I would argue that the initial install may be harder as you have to install the block off plate onto the OEM BPV port :). Thats in addition to the symposer BOV.

Routine maintenance (cleaning, oiling) should be so much easier though.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
This... The EM version vs. vacuum is nice to not have to worry about vacuum lines and a CEL pig tail, there is zero difference in performance so go with the plumb back if you want even quieter than stock or the dual port so you get 50/50 for sound. Unlike the first gen, I don't believe either of the VR2 requires any adjustment... I just got my VR2 EM plumb back and it certainly holds boost well, definite improvement over stock as far as holding boost at higher RPM's for sure. Only thing is, any BOV that mounts to the Symposer is going to approximately 1 billion percent easier to install, it is a near nightmare level install getting to the side of the turbo if you don't have a lift, but that could just be me, hehe.
I would argue that the initial install may be harder as you have to install the block off plate onto the OEM BPV port :). Thats in addition to the symposer BOV.

It's all about the tools
I made my own for the OEM BOV removal / install
It's a 5mm long reach rounded head allen wrench cut off and inserted into a 1/4" drive socket
Some tool company probably makes this item but I didn't have it when I was installing one of my valves so I made one

Done in minutes now, no kidding

danbfree

3000 Post Club

It's all about the tools
I made my own for the OEM BOV removal / install
It's a 5mm long reach rounded head allen wrench cut off and inserted into a 1/4" drive socket
Some tool company probably makes this item but I didn't have it when I was installing one of my valves so I made one

Done in minutes now, no kidding
Great points/info, thanks guys! Yeah Ron, I just grabbed a Harbor Freight allen to 3/8" ratchet set previously for cheap, can't remember for which mod it was but waaay worth the investment, but DO wish it was available in 1/4" drive too for that area, hehe... but I'm still a novice, per se, when it comes to the heavier duty stuff, I'm sure if I had to do any of these things a second time I would be much faster, LOL

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Great points/info, thanks guys! Yeah Ron, I just grabbed a Harbor Freight allen to 3/8" ratchet set previously for cheap, can't remember for which mod it was but waaay worth the investment, but DO wish it was available in 1/4" drive too for that area, hehe... but I'm still a novice, per se, when it comes to the heavier duty stuff, I'm sure if I had to do any of these things a second time I would be much faster, LOL
This is what you need in the future since you already have a 3/8 set.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thanks man! Is that a little 1/4" drive 5mm allen socket? You know where I can find that?
So I have a 3/8 mini ratchet that's the same size as a small 1/4 inch ratchet. That way you could use your 3/8 set instead of having to buy the 1/4 inch set. In this picture this is my quarter inch ratchet with my 5 mm Allen head. The 3/8 ratchet is next to it. I got the Allen head set from https://www.tooltopia.com probably six years ago. The ratchet I actually found in the wash pit at work in the dirt and I cleaned it up. A small 3/8 ratchet sometimes called a stubby is a great tool.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So I have a 3/8 mini ratchet that's the same size as a small 1/4 inch ratchet. That way you could use your 3/8 set instead of having to buy the 1/4 inch set. In this picture this is my quarter inch ratchet with my 5 mm Allen head. The 3/8 ratchet is next to it. I got the Allen head set from https://www.tooltopia.com probably six years ago. The ratchet I actually found in the wash pit at work in the dirt and I cleaned it up. A small 3/8 ratchet sometimes called a stubby is a great tool.
Compact/mini/stubby 3/8" ratchet is definitely what I need then... thanks again!