Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Twin turbo upgrade

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So I'm always thinking about cars and new things that can be done. It's not easy to twin turbo a 4 cyl because of the fabrication involved but let me run something by you guys. Say room isn't an issue. Could you, theoretically speaking, take the wastegate solenoid, put a t on it, run it to 2 s280s, build a special manifold that isolates cyls 1 and 3, 2 and 4, run piping to the turbos, create a y so they both enter the same intercooler and then run piping for the bypasses to the exhaust?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

There are a few twin turbo production 4 cylinders, usually piping the turbos in parallel, but some have been done with sequential setups. More common is twincharging with a supercharger and a turbo, Volvo uses one of those setups for the Polestar models and a few others... I still think SUPERBOCHARGING sounds better, but nobody answers my angry letters made from magazine cutouts anymore.

Maybe a compound turbo setup with the stock turbo and a gtx2867r. Jus gotta find the room. If you can design your own piping and manifold to make both turbos fit , it might not be that hard, until tuning time.

Se7eN

It's a very tight fit with just one turbo in front of the firewall. Maybe have the bigger turbo out back like and STS turbo system. Run a hybrid up front and a GTX out back so that the lag wont really be a factor.

Se7eN

Unless you wanna go Side Winder style and have the exhaust for the turbo on the normal header lead to the bigger turbo where the battery would go.

Unless you wanna go Side Winder style and have the exhaust for the turbo on the normal header lead to the bigger turbo where the battery would go.
That's a good idea to relocate the battery and ecm, the exhaust side of stock turbo is already facing that way. Thinking about it now that would be perfect since you would have ample space to fit piping as well. And your filter wouldn't fill up with water either.

why not just run a twin scroll single?

Keep in mind with a twin turbo setup you will be spooling each turbo with 0.8L of engine displacement, even a smaller turbo like an S280 will take forever to spool.

Twin setups also are prone to surge issues because they have the same pressure ratio but are running half the flow.

Keep in mind with a twin turbo setup you will be spooling each turbo with 0.8L of engine displacement, even a smaller turbo like an S280 will take forever to spool.

Twin setups also are prone to surge issues because they have the same pressure ratio but are running half the flow.
Yea your right, and I think Peron was making a twin scroll kit . The Peron kit will most likely run you a small fortune as well. But this is just garage talk, doing something out of the box if someone wanted to do something unique that no one else has done. Maybe even a project car, who knows.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11

That makes sense. So speaking for practicality then, with 2 stock turbos do you think there would be any gains over say 1 s280? I agree that the power seems to favor a compound setup, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what would be an acceptable build if we did twin turbo the fist. My original idea was to do a traditional twin like v6/v8.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Yea your right, and I think Peron was making a twin scroll kit . The Peron kit will most likely run you a small fortune as well. But this is just garage talk, doing something out of the box if someone wanted to do something unique that no one else has done. Maybe even a project car, who knows.
Absolutely man. Just talk. Until I kill this motor lol.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Maybe 2 g30-660s would work? Idk though. It's Garrett's smallest turbo and they are for 1.4-3.0l

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's a very tight fit with just one turbo in front of the firewall. Maybe have the bigger turbo out back like and STS turbo system. Run a hybrid up front and a GTX out back so that the lag wont really be a factor.
Are people still doing the STS setups on f bodies, whether 3rd. 4th or 5th/6th gen??
(I've been out of that game for soooo long, I don't even know what's up with that marque anymore, as I don't even get LS1tech emails anymore.)

antarctica24

Actually looked into doing the compound turbo. According to the fabricator, he says theres plenty of room to do it, but would require a custom manifold. For the twin turbo to make any sense if that was even possible the twin turbo would have to be dinky small, like smaller than stock which even if it was practical wouldn't make sense. The compound setup on the other hand would be stellar. The whole issue with the larger turbos is spin up, so if you had a motor that could take the power, and axels that could deal with the torque and you could put it down to the road, if I remember correctly the larger turbo feeds the smaller turbo to make it work. That sounds counter productive, but im pretty sure thats what he said. The whole question brings up a interesting thought, do you need it? The 2860 and S280 and S290 seems to be the largest you can go before it doesnt make any sense. Sure you can go bigger, but if your only making big power for 2000 rpm whats the point? For the car to be fun, it needs to make its power from 2-6K, the turbos mentioned start making reasonable power around 3000-3400. Any thing higher and its just a numbers game of who makes the big peak numbers aka the dyno queen. There are several different ways to go about using twin turbos in this car, the compound is one, and the split is the other. By split I mean, you use the small turbo off the manifold and you do the old LS1 setup of putting the larger turbo on the back end of the exhaust. There is a more plumbing but it would give you the best of both worlds.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Kinda interesting to think then, with my cams and turbo that would mean the x57rs which is a k16 housing would be the largest turbo practical I could run in this application... Cuz my ideal spool to 1 atmosphere seems to be 3200 with the cams

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Also, I don't think our drivetrain would be an issue. The stock drivetrain has been able to endure 600 hp using nitrous and big turbos on the drag strip.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah....but for how long? Anything can go a couple runs before it completely disintegrates.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
IDK but apparently rons guy put nitrous through it with his whoosh turbo and managed to make that power. If it was with rons turbo I imagine it had to be a pretty massive shot though.