Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Typical cost of a shop swapping out my muffler for a new one ?

Just FYI i have a 2015 FIST. Love it, first car i have ever had that i truly love. But i got it with several mods done and one of them is the only thing im not absolutely crazy about and it's the muffler. It's technically i guess a Magnaflow muffler delete, which as i understand it, is just supposed to let more sound out to be louder.

But it's a bit too loud for my taste, i think it attracts more attention than i would like. It sounds fine but is just a bit too loud for my taste. So i have been looking at muffler replacements and just have a few questions for anybody who can answer. So am i correct in assuming that as long as the piping fits, any muffler can be fit to any car? I looked up quite a few options online specifically for the FIST but none of them actually listed as FIST only.

So the first thing i should know is if there are any particular things i need to look for when choosing a muffler to make sure it will fit my car. The other thing is, how much will a shop typically cost to uninstall/install? At this point it's beyond my capability and tool set so paying for an install is my only option. I just bought an AP and am planning a FMIC later this year so if it's several hundred total it will have to wait for next year, just doing some research here.

If you have any suggestions or any other info please share.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
MagnaFlow is a company. MagnaFlow muffler delete is not a thing. You still have the resonator. The muffler was cut off the back of the car, and a pipe was welded in its place. They threw a big old tip on the end of the pipe.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You should make a post to see if a member is willing to sell you a muffler. It would have to be welded back on of course.
Some people like to keep all the original parts like myself, but some people have no problem selling their original parts once they remove them. You would only need the rear section.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just FYI i have a 2015 FIST. Love it, first car i have ever had that i truly love. But i got it with several mods done and one of them is the only thing im not absolutely crazy about and it's the muffler. It's technically i guess a Magnaflow muffler delete, which as i understand it, is just supposed to let more sound out to be louder.

But it's a bit too loud for my taste, i think it attracts more attention than i would like. It sounds fine but is just a bit too loud for my taste. So i have been looking at muffler replacements and just have a few questions for anybody who can answer. So am i correct in assuming that as long as the piping fits, any muffler can be fit to any car? I looked up quite a few options online specifically for the FIST but none of them actually listed as FIST only.

So the first thing i should know is if there are any particular things i need to look for when choosing a muffler to make sure it will fit my car. The other thing is, how much will a shop typically cost to uninstall/install? At this point it's beyond my capability and tool set so paying for an install is my only option. I just bought an AP and am planning a FMIC later this year so if it's several hundred total it will have to wait for next year, just doing some research here.

If you have any suggestions or any other info please share.

Take a pic of the rear muffler area to give us a visual if you can. If you’ve been muffler deleted, yeah it’s pretty obnoxious. If you have a straight through magnaflow muffler then the drone is probably getting to you. Your remediation path is reliant upon what’s in there now.

- does the sound only bother you at certain rpm’s? If so, what rpm?
- do you want stock-quiet, or just less-loud?
- what is your budget for this? Might be able to buy someone’s removed stock exhaust for cheap and have it welded back together.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Take a pic of the rear muffler area to give us a visual if you can. If you’ve been muffler deleted, yeah it’s pretty obnoxious. If you have a straight through magnaflow muffler then the drone is probably getting to you. Your remediation path is reliant upon what’s in there now.

- what is your budget for this? Might be able to buy someone’s removed stock exhaust for cheap and have it welded back together.
He made a post about how to identify modifications and took some pictures of his exhaust system. He has his factory resonator in place but the rear muffler section is just a straight pipe with a big single tip.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
If you're interested, I have an OEM Exhaust from the downpipe to the tips. It is sawed in half at the S-Bend. I'll give you the link to the for sale page if you're interested.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #7
If you're interested, I have an OEM Exhaust from the downpipe to the tips. It is sawed in half at the S-Bend. I'll give you the link to the for sale page if you're interested.
Sure couldn't hurt. I gotta rewind some of this and play it back half speed lol. Im learning as i go here so even the terminology isn't familiar.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #9

Yea i posted them a while back but here's a few to show again. So just so i understand, the thing in the first pic is what, the resonator? So im guessing there's a resonator that goes just piping back to the Magnaflow tip that's on the last two pics? I think what Ford said is right but here are the pics. 20190730_164427.jpg 20190730_160838.jpg 20190730_160857.jpg 20190730_160913.jpg

As for the sound, im pretty sure i have some drone at around 3k, usually more when i fully let off the gas or accelerate hard. From what i have read that's a sound issue inside the car and isn't heard outside. Im more speaking of the general loudness of the exhaust, it's just pretty loud and isn't really my style.

It sounds ok and im sure a lot of people would like it but im more of a low key driver. I don't necessarily want the stock setup back on, just something a tad quieter. Also, will a different muffler actually change the sound or is that more of a piping and resonator thing?

For reference i was looking at something like this, if it's a bit more restrictive on sound anyway.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #10

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well it's more about questions of other items. I kinda want something in between stock and my Magnaflow tip. I like the sound and drone doesn't really bother me, but it's just a bit too loud. If i could find something like the Magnaflow i have but just a bit quieter, that would be good.
Throwing on a magnaflow or similar muffler should be pretty cheap and clean up the sound a bit - you’ll probably still have a bit of drone around 3200rpm though. Just a little.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #12
Throwing on a magnaflow or similar muffler should be pretty cheap and clean up the sound a bit - you’ll probably still have a bit of drone around 3200rpm though. Just a little.
Ok no issue with the drone. I was looking at a lot of them on Amazon and wondering, is that rear piping 2.5" or 3" ? A lot of the units i was looking at were fairly cheap, like under $50. I did find a little info on labor, averaging about $100 or so but not sure how accurate that is which is why i was asking here. Another one i liked the look of was HERE (or something like it). I like the slant tip myself.

Another thing i don't like about my Magnaflow tip, it's way too big. It goes from a much smaller pipe to a giant tip and i know most people don't see under the car but it just reeks of phony. It looks like it's supposed to give the impression of a massive exhaust pathway and it's not the case. Too big and too loud for my taste.

Not the end of the world but something i'd like to change sooner than later.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Ok no issue with the drone. I was looking at a lot of them on Amazon and wondering, is that rear piping 2.5" or 3" ? A lot of the units i was looking at were fairly cheap, like under $50. I did find a little info on labor, averaging about $100 or so but not sure how accurate that is which is why i was asking here. Another one i liked the look of was HERE (or something like it). I like the slant tip myself.

Another thing i don't like about my Magnaflow tip, it's way too big. It goes from a much smaller pipe to a giant tip and i know most people don't see under the car but it just reeks of phony. It looks like it's supposed to give the impression of a massive exhaust pathway and it's not the case. Too big and too loud for my taste.

Not the end of the world but something i'd like to change sooner than later.

Call a shop and see what it’d cost if they provide the muffler- they get the part really cheap, add margin and charge labor, but it might be less than the cost of you ordering it yourself.

The stock exhaust is 2.25”

Mufflers are a place where you get what you pay for - go too cheap and it might buzz or sound funny and annoying. Magnaflow is pretty reliable, I’m partial to Vibrant, but talk to a local shop and get a quote.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #14
Call a shop and see what it’d cost if they provide the muffler- they get the part really cheap, add margin and charge labor, but it might be less than the cost of you ordering it yourself.

The stock exhaust is 2.25”

Mufflers are a place where you get what you pay for - go too cheap and it might buzz or sound funny and annoying. Magnaflow is pretty reliable, I’m partial to Vibrant, but talk to a local shop and get a quote.
Ok that's a good plan for tomorrow, i appreciate the info. It had crossed my mind, replacing the tip over the last few months but never got around to giving it real thought till tonight but since shops were closed i figure i'd try here.

So 2.5" is good, most of the models i saw online were that size inlet. I figured if i found one that was a go, i'd try to find some videos to actually hear it before i fully commit financially. I can see why people get addicted to modding and such, it's quite fun lol.

That tail pipe looks big enough to hold a pound and a half of rice!

My car had a muffler delete also, going over highway speeds made an audible drone and rattled my skull a bit.

Not a fan of muffler deletes either, lol.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
muffler delete

Being married to an audiologist, I can confidently state that people that say muffler deletes don't drone have already lost the ability to hear that frequency.
If you have children or pets, don't make 'em ride in a deleted car, that kind of hearing damage doesn't heal.

Last edited:
OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #17
muffler delete

Being married to an audiologist, I can confidently state that people that say muffler deletes don't drone have already lost the ability to hear that frequency.
If you have children or pets, don't make 'em ride in a deleted car, that kind of hearing damage doesn't heal.
Well you are a patient guy to put up with that bahavior. Anyway, i was looking at the pics i posted yesterday and saw a bolt on the piping behind the Magnaflow tip. Woudn't that suggest it's bolted on and not welded? I thought i saw somebody mention it looked like they welded it on after cutting off the muffler, but i wanted to be sure as that will likely alter the labor cost for a shop.

If they can just unbolt it and bolt on another, surely that's cheaper than having to cut through the exhaust line to get it off, and i'd rather have more than enough pipe than not enough. If i need to take another pic i can if that would help. .jpg

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #18
That tail pipe looks big enough to hold a pound and a half of rice!

My car had a muffler delete also, going over highway speeds made an audible drone and rattled my skull a bit.

Not a fan of muffler deletes either, lol.
I'd say two pounds, and it can cook it too. Can't say i have ever had a muffler delete in the past but this setup, i suspect, has cops following me unusually often. It's really cramping my AP testing man. I took a drive last night at about 11pm. I use late nights to make my 3yo drowsy and check AP numbers, learning the system ect.

Had 2 cops following me for a couple miles on my way back home. As loud as this is when i get on it, may as well have a flair gun to signal my location. Here coppers im over here!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well, it looks like it was a bolt-on tip, I can't tell if thats just rust at the interface between the pipes or a total booger of a weld. That being said, they'll cut off pipe significantly further forward to fit a muffler, lots of mufflers are 18"-24" cases and have to fit in the muffler cavity up above the crimp-bent pipe in your pic.

here's what one iteration of my custom system looks like out of the car

I have a small resonator and a trumpet-shaped loop in the area where normally a full sized muffler would live.

ignore the oxidation on the stainless, I hadn't bought a pipe polisher yet :p

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #20
Just as an update, i called a local small town shop where i live that specializes in mufflers and exhaust and the guy said of course he'd have to see it to know for sure but just to swap mufflers, probly $50-$100 which is ballpark for what i read online. And that's not reasonable for what im wanting so i guess i'll figure out which muffler will suffice and set aside a few bucks over the next couple weeks.