Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ugliest Car According to Science......

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The golden ratio rectangle is too fat for car design. That's why the best looking cars according to their formula are very chunky. We actually have been conditioned to like cars to be of quite different proportions than the golden ration, and for good reason. Cars are appreciated for speed, and speed is associated with long narrow shapes, even in nature. We also have been conditioned to like aggressive shapes in cars. The golden ratio gives you pleasantly plump rectangles.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
He must live in Denver...That elevation is getting him sooo high...err it might be the other option that makes it smell like no one does their shirt laundry in the great city of Denver!

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #5
The golden ratio rectangle is too fat for car design. That's why the best looking cars according to their formula are very chunky. We actually have been conditioned to like cars to be of quite different proportions than the golden ration, and for good reason. Cars are appreciated for speed, and speed is associated with long narrow shapes, even in nature. We also have been conditioned to like aggressive shapes in cars. The golden ratio gives you pleasantly plump rectangles.
I think our car aesthetics have much, MUCH, more to do with our social/historical experiences with cars. So while I agree we have been "conditioned" to like certain vehicles, I believe it has more to do with our social upbringing. Where I grew up in a working class area of Houston two types of vehicles dominated as the "cool" cars in my high school years (mid 90s); 90s era Mustangs/Camaros/Firebirds and domestic Sport Trucks.

To this day I still view the Fox Body Mustang as the most beautiful car ever built (a vehicle that is ageing very well). Contrast this with my wife who is 4 years younger and grew up in a rural area who thinks they are HIDEOUS. Her most beautiful vehicle(s) are late 60s muscle cars; specifically Fastback Mustangs and Camaros.

As a side note; I still have a soft spot for well done Sport Trucks and I LOVE Syclones and Lightnings!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Ugliest Vehicles would have to be the mini crossovers.
Some of the best looking vehicles to me are the Lexus LC 500 an Audi sport backs.
Of course I also love exotics like Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The Golden ratio is a joke. Hunans are subjective by nature. Not everyone sees things in a hard and fast way when it comes to beauty in the physical be it natural shapes or living things.
To try and apply this to car design is even more ludicrous the guys at Carwow now look like mental midgets for A; trying to apply it and B: not considering that car shapes by design do not fit into the hard and fast rules of a ridiculous theorem.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and emotionally subjective. I may love Frank Lloyd Wright designs and someone else may say they do nothing for them. Art, colors, shapes..etc.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Japanese or euro hatchbacks and sports cars. Im a product of my time. Domestic offerings looked like ass in the mid 90s. Pre 93 they were ok. But borrowing heavily on styling from the japanese market of the same era to try and sell cars, sometimes even just slapping a domestic badge on a car built in japan. (Looking at you dodge/chrysler).

Domestics got cool again when the srt4/ion redline-cobaltSS and svt focus. showed up.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'm not a fan of the feminine headlights. In fact any swooping/ curving style headlights I consider ugly. I also think black is a bad color for this car (mine is black). I didn't buy the car for it's looks though, I've always been function over form.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Business6

They even disagree with it themselves yet post it anyway. Must have dropped below their ad view threshold though with "articles" like this I can't imagine why

haste

1000 Post Club
Nissan Murano Convertible....worse than the Pontiac Aztek, imo.