Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Undertightened lug nuts from the factory

I have not loosened or even touched any of the wheels/lug nuts on my '15 ST before today.

Yesterday my TPMS light came on. Sure enough, some kind of self-tapping screw in the tire. While breaking the lug nuts loose to put on the spare tire, I noticed the lug nuts were not nearly as tight as I expected them to be. They were not what I would call dangerously loose, they were secure, but they were not even close to 100 lb ft spec. They seriously felt like ~30-40 lb ft range.

Fast forward to today, I just mounted the wheel with the patched tire. Since I had my torque wrench out, I decided to double check and tighten the other 3 wheels. I set the wrench to 78 lb-ft just to test it. TIghtened one wheel, each lug nut taking about 1/8-1/4 turn to reach 78 lb ft. So I'd estimate they were tightened somewhere around the 40-50 lb-ft range--not sure. I ended up tighteneing every single lug nut on the car to get to 100 lb ft. All were significantly undertightened.

Therefore, I suggest to anyone who has a new-ish ST and has not tightened the lugnuts since buying the car, to get out there and check tightness and torque them to spec (100 lb ft). Remember to tighten them evenly in a cross-cross order

KKaWing

Yep, this car calls for 100 lb-ft. My previous car was 73... big difference.

GAbOS

Thanks. I keep a torque wrench in the car. I'll have to check since I've never touched the wheels since I bought it.

Use a 6 point socket when torqueing the lugs, the OEM outer case on the lugs are easily deformed.

MPA

I was surprised to see it was 100 ft/lbs - thankfully I needed a new torque wrench anyway.