Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded Intake Manifold

xxiaze

So... I have read, from some time ago now, of a variable intake manifold from puma. Pretty sure this never released. I just checked their website.

Are there any options for our vehicles? I’ve performed a simple web search and didn’t come across anything.

If not, does anyone know why?

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #5
It’s ugly! That’s what I mean by plastic. Yeah, it works... I think? Haven’t seen comparative flow tests of anything. I was just excited to see a beautiful metal red powder coated intake on the front of my motor. Would be legit! Not to mention if something was designed to flow better and be beautiful I would be super stoked. Ya know?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Understood, but I still would like to see tests of a comparison between any aftermarket alloy intake manifolds, and our plastic stocker, as far as heat soak/intake temps go, to determine whether or not that is even a factor. [wink]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #7
^^^Understood, but I still would like to see tests of a comparison between any aftermarket alloy intake manifolds, and our plastic stocker, as far as heat soak/intake temps go, to determine whether or not that is even a factor. [wink]
im certain the plastic stock unit is effective... it has to be if no one is replacing it. I think it’s not the end all though.... once people start making 500+ hp on these cars commonly (like the Honda scene) maybe there will be a need? I believe hardly anyone throws the air demands at these motors to necessitate anything greater in need than the stock unit. So in that regard there will probably never be a replacement lol... I don’t think our little STs will be like the Honda scene. Part of me kinda wants the FiST to be forgotten forever so no one has them and we have something special lol.

“hey I like your focus!” ...... ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't care how sticky a tire, or how strong/great a limited slip one can put under these beasts, there does come a point where that much power through the front wheels becomes useless, no matter 'where' it comes on in the rev range. [wink]

Unless that is, one does not mind driving around on a '6 second Civic' style FWD suspension, wheelie bar, and drag slick front and skinny back wheel/tire setup, on the street, which I don't know about anyone else, but is most definitely NOT for me. [nono]

Yeah, I really do like driving what almost no one else is, as it's no fun 'passing yourself' 1000 times a day like those piloting the much more populist, conformist, 'go-to' rides do every time they get behind the wheel.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #9
It sure would be fun to find out what happens! Lol. I’m shooting for 500whp, so when that day comes I’ll let you know. Should be silly.

I think options are great as long as the demand is there for the companies to profit. Unfortunately the current demand seems not to be there. I wonder if that’s the only reason the variable intake didn’t release or if puma just couldn’t do better than the stock units.

I would like to see a more even flowing Mani for our cars. Not necessarily for high power but more efficient running say for those whom are or plan on running single port aux fuel. Maybe someone could figure out how to have a 4port and single port on it instead of a spacer plate. Hmm now I got the juices flowing lol.

slopoke

IIRC, one of the aftermarket vendors for the Fiesta stated that they could build one, but you would not like the price

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #13
metal manifolds heat soak, they get hot and stay hot.

plastic ones do to an extent, but dissipate it much faster
Wouldn’t you think this is redundant though after warm up? I think heat shielding makes sense if one is better than the other but once they’re warm they’re warm. Maybe metal gets more hot? That would make sense I think

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
there is actually a cast manifold being made in europe now
before all the covid mess started the relese date was summer 2020 but that may have been pushed back now
regardless there is a direct replacement manifold in the works
I'm excited to try one and import them for our US customers

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wouldn’t you think this is redundant though after warm up? I think heat shielding makes sense if one is better than the other but once they’re warm they’re warm. Maybe metal gets more hot? That would make sense I think
No not really. Heat dissipation is still a thing even after warm up. Metal retains heat much better than plastic. Have you ever heard of a phenolic intake manifold gasket? Its a plastic / resin gasket that takes the place of a standard intake manifold gasket (used with metal manifolds) and helps keep the cylinder head from transmitting heat to the manifold.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #18
No not really. Heat dissipation is still a thing even after warm up. Metal retains heat much better than plastic. Have you ever heard of a phenolic intake manifold gasket? Its a plastic / resin gasket that takes the place of a standard intake manifold gasket (used with metal manifolds) and helps keep the cylinder head from transmitting heat to the manifold.
I have not, that sounds legit 🤘

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #19
there is actually a cast manifold being made in europe now
before all the covid mess started the relese date was summer 2020 but that may have been pushed back now
regardless there is a direct replacement manifold in the works
I'm excited to try one and import them for our US customers
Yes please 💪

Also, since metal is a much better conductor of heat, it sheds that heat to the air more efficiently (not what we want in this case). And just taking a guess here, but the material on a metal manifold would most likely be thicker therefore more material to hold more heat.